SaltCritters.com

My §tarting Tale §hallow~Reef°

Shallow~Reef

Shallow~Reef

So this is where I am currently at. Tank on the floor with still lots of work to do, BUT its a start, enough to keep me excited about the whole thing lol. Just a little more info; this will be set in my living room and the cabinet will be built to size for this tank as its difficult finding one already made. Look forward to any advice and lead ways to the right direction. So far I am not up for a sump because I have to keep the new carpet totally clear from water Yup! So see how long I can hold that up :unsure:

I will try to keep this thread upto date as work gets done. Few specs below. Thanks for peeking in. ?

m0edtu.jpg

Tank measurements: 48" x 30" x 16"

Wavemaker: Jebao Wireless RW-8 - To come

Lighting: Coral Box M1 LED - To come

Protein skimer: Tunze 9002 - May consider upgrade from this but not sure yet.

Shallow~Reef

Looks good. Nice dimensions.

Awesome dimensions! Soooo much you can do with that.

Thanks.

I will put up my fish plan soon..

May I make a suggestion on the keeping the carpet clean.
This is something I plan on doing before I set up my next tank on carpet.

Get some really thick plywood. I am thinking 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. Then make a shallow box. With maybe an inch lip using that plywood. Then buy some nice but cheap floor tile. Water proof the inside of the box. And then tile the box using normal floor tile grout and methods. Then any small spills should stay contained in the little tiled lip area. Also you will be able to better level a stand.

Not sure how practical it will be for your build. But its something I am toying with, never seen any one do this before..

If you need clarification I can make some pictures so you understand better.

Shallow~Reef

May I make a suggestion on the keeping the carpet clean.

This is something I plan on doing before I set up my next tank on carpet.

Get some really thick plywood. I am thinking 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. Then make a shallow box. With maybe an inch lip using that plywood. Then buy some nice but cheap floor tile. Water proof the inside of the box. And then tile the box using normal floor tile grout and methods. Then any small spills should stay contained in the little tiled lip area. Also you will be able to better level a stand.

Not sure how practical it will be for your build. But its something I am toying with, never seen any one do this before..

If you need clarification I can make some pictures so you understand better.

That sounds like a brill idea! I want to keep the carpet clean but this is more for my mum who has gone out of the country to see her parents and like to surprise her but not let her worry about the carpet so much.

The only thing I would think about for me is securing the lip. We have a big family which means a lot of kids who visit us and they will try to get as close as possible and I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to use the lip as a step ladder lol.

You could do a short lip and make it far enough away that it wouldn't be useful as a step stool.
Also you could do a finger joint with glue and brads. That should hold just about anything.

Shallow~Reef

You could do a short lip and make it far enough away that it wouldn't be useful as a step stool.

Also you could do a finger joint with glue and brads. That should hold just about anything.

Right now I consider myself a Noob when it comes to DIY lol but I was not bad in my Designs & Technology class so I'm up for anything! What I will do is add another piece of plywood to the bottom of the cabinet an inch wider than the cabinet and stick it down. This way I could try adding some sort of strong step stool resistant lip in the future lol

you will make a bigger mess doing alot more Water changes without a sump...

Saying that I never had a sump for any of my systems before and overall I don't make that much of a mess even when I'm half shattered whilst making a water change x)

My first sump I bought I kept it in the washroom and my dad moved it outside placed it on the grass and a low step leading to our shed, and we had a one off period of high speed like 80 mph winds and it tipped the whole sump. Only had it a couple of weeks! lol

For some reason I wasn't so gutted.

Is it possible to add a sump when the tank is running?

Yes you can add it after its running. But I personally am carful about doing to much drastic in that matter as you can cause the tank to cycle again. Due to the large increase in water volume and surface area. But I also run deep sand beds in my sumps so that is an part of the issue in drastic changes of bringing a new sump online.

Shallow~Reef

Yes you can add it after its running. But I personally am carful about doing to much drastic in that matter as you can cause the tank to cycle again. Due to the large increase in water volume and surface area. But I also run deep sand beds in my sumps so that is an part of the issue in drastic changes of bringing a new sump online.

Right I see. Thanks for your advice : )

• 5 months later...

Thanks! Yeah i'll definitely take a look through your thread. Sorry as you can see from the lack of updates so far I have postponed setting this one up while I'm in my studies. The Last couple updates I have done so far are painted the tank black and bought my Rw-8 pump which is running in my nano tank. I really appreciate the support it pushes me to getting this running.

Archived