Cultivated Reef

Carribbean Rose Coral

nhib01

My rose coral is in week 2 of cycling (soft cycle)...it was a hitchhiker on my live rock. I'm trying hard to keep it alive...but being a newbie I would value any input on how it's looking. It's been opening and closing but it does have a white spot on one side at its base. 20140727_173747_zpssjvjp3ks.jpg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s383/nhillshop/week%202/20140727_184920_zpsy6kmcvbd.jpg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s383/nhillshop/week%202/20140727_190644_zpslxcxrlyz.jpg

The white spot is probably a little bit of skeleton protruding that may or may not have flesh. No worries though as mine lost half its flesh once but bounced back fairly quickly a week later. Just keep an eye on your parameters and do a water change when necessary.

Its color is good but it could be a little more puffed up. Tentacles are out so this is a sign of good health, when they are out feed it a little piece of silverside or shrimp and it will grab it and shove it down.

Good luck, by far one of my fav corals in my tank.

MyJasmineRose

Mine came in as completely white skeletons and are just now (just finished cycle) starting to regain color and tissue, so they seem pretty hardy :)

Yeah they are def some hardy coral, mine survived 3 days in a bag in the summer, two tank crashes, the works. Now I need MOREEEEEEEE.

Mr. Microscope

Just try to keep your water parameters as steady as possible (salinity, pH, alk, temp.) and don't pollute your tank by overfeeding your fish if you have any. You may not experience much of a cycle if your rock wasn't out of the water too long. Did you get this rock shipped to you or did you quickly transport it from a LFS?

It might not hurt to try feeding it a couple pellets to see what happens.

Awesome hitchhiker! Good luck!

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!

I ordered the rock from gulfliverock.com. I'm only on 2nd week of cycle (doing a soft cycle so not to loose as many goodies :) ) I've been doing water changes every few days. I haven't experienced much of an ammonia spike but nitrates try to climb. Today they were at 10, ammonia 0, PH 7.8, alk 8, phosphates 0. What would you all suggest on my low ph? I know my alk is on the low end as well. I did another water change today.

I added a cuc last week... diatoms where everywhere! They've done a good job.

My temp has been all over the place though.... I have the coralife bio cube 29 with stock lighting. The lights tend to send my temp skyrocketing (85 yesterday)!! Yesterday I turned off my heater in the tank and today it was back down to 79. Ugg ....How do I balance the temp?

Unless you are measuring your pH with a properly calibrated probe and it is below 7.5, then you can do something (though something is likely very wrong). Even properly measuring with a probe, my pH sits around 7.8-7.9 and there is no problems. Your Alk is also fine, but if you are using a high alkalinity ASW like reef crystals, it'll slowly rise as you do water changes since you don't have anything sucking it out of the water.

GL keeping the hitchhiking coral alive.

My rose coral is in week 2 of cycling (soft cycle)...it was a hitchhiker on my live rock. I'm trying hard to keep it alive...but being a newbie I would value any input on how it's looking. It's been opening and closing but it does have a white spot on one side at its base. 20140727_173747_zpssjvjp3ks.jpg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s383/nhillshop/week%202/20140727_184920_zpsy6kmcvbd.jpg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s383/nhillshop/week%202/20140727_190644_zpslxcxrlyz.jpg

Such a good hitchhiker. Looks like you're doing a fairly good job of keeping it alive. I've never had one, but Metrokat does and hers is gorgeous. It's purple iirc.

I'd love to have one, but I think they're illegal to harvest unless they come in on some liverock from a company like gulfliverock or KP Aquatics.

Archived