Cultivated Reef

Hotel aiptasia - 20 million guests can't be wrong

Kellysnano

Kalk paste and a needle-less syringe. They will wrap their disc around the syringe without retracting and the second the kalk paste touches them they are done for are dead within a few minutes.

I got 2 large peppermint shrimp and in one night they destroyed every small aiptasia in my tank. It took them a little longer to get the larger ones. I have them with a fire shrimp and they don't bug each other. They don't like each other, but they rarely venture into one another's territory.

+1,000 for peppermint skrimps. Pop a couple in and let them do the dirty work. Watch your lps, I've heard of them picking at corals once they lay waste to aiptasia. Out of the three or four peppermints I've used, none of them have even looked at the coral I have though.

Berghia nudis. A little expensive, but they will eradicate every aiptasia they find. Takes them a few weeks to show noticeable results though.

Berghia nudis. A little expensive, but they will eradicate every aiptasia they find. Takes them a few weeks to show noticeable results though.

IME, this is the only surefire solution. All of the others will work short-term, but the aiptasia will always come back, ten fold.

IME, this is the only surefire solution. All of the others will work short-term, but the aiptasia will always come back, ten fold.

^THIS

I had about 1/2 dozen aiptasia, mostly of the tiny size, though one was about the size of a finger nail; one peppermint knocked them out in less than 48 hours. Haven't noticed it bothering any of my corals, but all I have are zoanthids, mushrooms, and GSP. Any time you can go the biological/natural route, that's best in my opinion/experience.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations - I think I will start with the natural method and see if I can find some peppermint shrimp. I have never seen a nudis here unfortunately. So 1st peppermint shrimp, 2nd kalk and if those fail I will take the plung and buy a mango wand (which sounds pretty awesome!). Thanks again everyone - I will update my progress!

nudi never worked for me and I spent a lot of money on a colony. >_<

They did eat all the aiptasia but then they slowly died due to no food source and low and behold the aip. came back!

Going to try peppermint shrimp this time.

The title of your thread is so funny, but I know having aiptasia is not. I used to make a paste with super buffer to the consistency of milk and shoot that down their mouth. If your PH rises then switch to lemon juice.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my peppermint shrimp are doing an awesome job! I have barely seen the little guys since the day I put them in the tank but while I was just cleaning my tank I noticed that probably half the aiptasia were gone. I also had a ton of those little tube worm things growing in one corner of my tank and the population of those has reduced considerably too so maybe they are shrimpys are snacking in them as well.

I got 2 large peppermint shrimp and in one night they destroyed every small aiptasia in my tank. It took them a little longer to get the larger ones.

I heard that if the aiptasia is big enough, it can even eat the peps!

I got some of these guys. MAD expensive. They simply disappeared into the tank. Perhaps eaten by the aiptasia.

Peppermint shrimp and aiptasiaX put them to an end

I heard that if the aiptasia is big enough, it can even eat the peps!

I got some of these guys. MAD expensive. They simply disappeared into the tank. Perhaps eaten by the aiptasia.

Peppermint shrimp and aiptasiaX put them to an end

They will disappear mainly because they will get in the crevices of the rock that pepp shrimps can't. I also use(d) AiptasiaX. But guess what? When the aiptasia is killed, they release "daughter cells" and more end up growing in the tank.

As has been mentione, berghia nudis is the real way to go.

Here is a dependable and reliable source for them if anyone is interested.

http://www.saltyunderground.com/pages.php?pID=4&CDpath=0

They will disappear mainly because they will get in the crevices of the rock that pepp shrimps can't.

No I meant disappeared out of existence. Probably eaten by the aiptasia or my other corals.

Peppermint butler did a nice job cleaning up after the nudis

No I meant disappeared out of existence. Probably eaten by the aiptasia or my other corals.

Peppermint butler did a nice job cleaning up after the nudis

Glad you had luck with your pepps.

Fact remains though once they get a taste for other foods, i.e. brine shrimp, it's "game over" More often or not, it's hit or miss with pepps.

This is true. People often starve their shrimps, and once they're starved they'll eat anything they can get their hands on -- usually any sessile invertebrates lying around. Once they learn that they can eat them.... well, they can't unlearn.

Now my shrimp eats pellets and whatever else falls down to the substrate

Archived