Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Back in the Hobby! 20 long

sse7757

Hi Everyone.

For the last 5 years my aquarium has been the ocean since I live only 4 miles from the beach. However, I acquired a 20 gallon long, I believe, which originally had a crack in the bottom of it and the silicon was super worn down. So I scraped out all of the old silicon and resealed it, and sealed the crack in the glass as well. It survived the bathtub test and I am satisfied that it is water tight-- if anyone else has any suggestions about using this tank please feel free!.

My Biggest concern as of right now is when I had my 45 reef tank, the salt splash pulled off all the paint from my parents wall-- (They were very pleased by that). Has anyone else ever had this problem? As I am renting an apartment, I would really like to not do a few hundred dollars worth of damage to their walls. Does anyone have any suggestions to how to set up a sheet, acrylic, optimal distance away from the wall to avoid the paint coming off the wall?

Thanks

Sara

P.s. I will update my progress on this tank in this thread

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com!

In the grand scheme of things. A new tank isn't that much money. You mention that you are worried about salt creep, but 20 gallons of water on the floor will do even more damage. Get a new tank. For the salt creep, eliminating bubbles will go a long way to reduce it.

I have definitely considered getting a new aquarium. So that is on my radar of something to do. What are ways to reduce bubbles. It has been 5 years since i have had an aquarium so trying to remember everything.

Here are my thoughts for the tank:

Currently planning on not having a sump-- may have a HOB "filter" refugium though.

Live rock, sand normal stuff.

Thinking of a pair of clowns and an anemone, and then a variety of soft corals/ polyps etc. May try my hand at a couple hard corals if everything is going well. a pair of shrimp. If it isn't too much to handle a goby.

What lights would be sufficient to grow hard corals on this size of a tank. I was recommended a coral life LED fixture (i think). Are LEDs sufficient to grow corals or would I need HOT5s-- which is what I had on my 45.

Final question Skimmer, yes or no? Can i install a skimmer without a sump or separate compartment?

What are ways to reduce bubbles.

Skimmers can sometimes cause bubbles, splashing from an overflow or the discharge from a HOB can also cause bubbles. Increasing the water level can help splash from a HOB filter. A glass top can help limit the salt which might get on a wall. It's kind of hard to say, especially since you don't have it running yet. Worse case scenario, you could put a plastic drop cloth up to protect the wall.

What lights would be sufficient to grow hard corals on this size of a tank. I was recommended a coral life LED fixture (i think). Are LEDs sufficient to grow corals or would I need HOT5s-- which is what I had on my 45.

There are a bunch of choices. You could use a couple of PAR38 bulbs. One of these would work. Sure, a T5HO fixture would work too.

Final question Skimmer, yes or no? Can i install a skimmer without a sump or separate compartment?

There are HOB skimmers.

Archived