inTank Media Baskets

Purple Clove Polyps - How to get rid of?

andersonkc

Some how I have an outbreak of little purple/maroon clove polyps taking over my live rock and sand. How do I get rid of these things? Any inverts? Fish? Coral?

I have a Nuvo 8, so big fish won't work.

post-80240-0-36043500-1406408902_thumb.jpg

I don't want to rid the tank of everything, just those things. Appreciate the feedback.

Side note : do fireworms eat coral?

Dr.Brain Coral

I was just kindling with you. Blue cloves are notorious for being hard to get rid of. You could take your rocks out and burn them with a torch.

On the side note: yes fire worms eat coral. But don't confuse them with the bristle worms as they are really good to have. Eunice worms are coral and fish predators. You might have heard about the Big head honcho Eunice Aphroditois aka the Bobbit worm.

Is there a coral I can put on the rocks that might kill the polyps off? I feel like they will over run my tank in a few weeks.

I looked up that Eunice worm, I hope I never get one/have one. Ugly creature.

Doubt a coral is the solution. They spawn and actually pop up on the other side of the tank or anywhere the spawn lands.

If you want them gone. I would take the rock out and murder them. In the past I put vinegar on them with a sponge and that killed them good and everything else next to them. If you miss any, they will come back.

for the most part, they don't harm other coral as most can grow right over them. Exception being zoa's which they can grow right on top of until the zoa won't open anymore.

Fluke tabs (freshwater med) kills them. Google "blue cloves and fluke tabs" or something like that. Certain soft corals need to be removed as they are also affected. Problem is fluke tabs are no longer sold so not sure how you will find some.

Heart worm meds is the new fluke treatment. I killed all my cloves in my 150 this way. It's safe if done right. Will kill most soft corals like Xenia etc. stronger doses kill more. When I did it I was told wrong dose instructions so did double what should have. Let's just say I killed more than the cloves and the 150 came down. If you go this route make sure have right info when doing. When done right it works great.

These things are a nuisance! God please create a nudibranch that eats clove polyps please - haha.

Thanks all for the feedback.

#smalltankproblems

Here is a scary pic :D

24hrs-a.jpg

I keep blue cloves in my fuge. I like them but they will defiantly take over if given the chance.

Here is a scary pic :D

24hrs-a.jpg

I keep blue cloves in my fuge. I like them but they will defiantly take over if given the chance.

Wow! That is insane. Its like the rocks turned blue!

Archived