Coral Vue Hydros

Proper time to add corals

skyzpop

I have a Nuvo 16 tank and have finished my cycle and have added a clown fish. My question is when can I start to safely add corals? I plan on adding some beginner soft corals over time, do I need to slowy add all the fish I plan on having along with my CUC and then once my tank can handle this bio load I add corals? Sorry if this question has already been answered in the forums but I was unable to find the answer. Any direction on this would be great! Thank you.

I can only tell you what has worked with my nuvo 16. My cycle finished at week three and I added two clownfish at week four. After the diatom and hair algae died off I added some zoas and a torch coral. That was at week 6. I'll probably wait another 2-3 months before I try some SPS corals. I don't currently have a clean up crew since all of the algae died a couple weeks after the tank finished cycling but I know that most people add a clean up crew shortly after the cycle is completed to help deal with the algae it created.

+1^ I added mine weeks 6-8. A Mushroom, and zoa. At 10 weeks, I added a hammer and cloves. I am no expert and I could be wrong, just telling what I did with my Nuvo. Good luck and post some pics!!!

Thanks for the information! I had two clowns but one decided to find a gap in the stock Nuvo lid so I am building a screen top to keep this from happening again.

I will wait another month before I add any corals just to be safe.

What types of fish did you guys have in your Nuvos?

Here is what my tank looks like at the moment:

photo.jpg

Spiderguardnano

Before you add corals you should look into upgrading the lights first that way when you do add your corals they really POP and you won't have to worry about what those IM lights can keep. If you upgraded your lights already disregard this lol

For me my cycle finished at 3 weeks added my cuc at 4 weeks then corals at 5 weeks and my first fish at 6 weeks. I'm taking it really slow I don't want any big algae blooms out of no where because my tank can't handle the bio load.

Scape looks awesome btw

Before you add corals you should look into upgrading the lights first that way when you do add your corals they really POP and you won't have to worry about what those IM lights can keep. If you upgraded your lights already disregard this lol

For me my cycle finished at 3 weeks added my cuc at 4 weeks then corals at 5 weeks and my first fish at 6 weeks. I'm taking it really slow I don't want any big algae blooms out of no where because my tank can't handle the bio load.

Scape looks awesome btw

Thank you for the information and compliment!

I do plan on upgrading the lights down the road, I am going back and forth on the Kessil A360W and the Maxspect R420R 16K LED lights. I have already learned to research, research, research then research again before pulling the trigger on something with this hobby. :)

Archived