Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Just starting out…

Logan1895

I have a lot of experience with freshwater tanks and would finally like to upgrade to saltwater. I know next to nothing about the set up or maintenance of a saltwater tank an would like help with that. My plan was to convert my 6 gallon Fluval Edge tank into saltwater but I don't know exactly how to do that. If anyone could give me some help that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. We all start out somewhere. Try to do some reading in the beginner forum and Google is your best friend when having a question Google is a good place to start. Most ppl on here are pretty darn friendly and don't mind sharing experience and knowledge about reef keeping. I don't know much about that tank but to begin you need some sand (I've always used caribsea live reef sand) salt water, ro water, and a small powerhead for circulation. Correct lighting, LEDs seem to be a good option for that tank if you want to keep corals. Read up on "cycling" a salt water tank. Hope this helps a bit.

Does a filter not provide sufficient corculation? And the tank is a rectangle with only a small (about 2.5x2.5in) opening at the top. Maybe a little larger but not by much

Honestly that opening is a tight squeeze, I wouldn't want to mess around w a tank opening that small. The filter will filter the water, but flow is different and saltwater tanks especially with coral need flow in order to thrive. Depending on your budget look at the "all in one " forum on this site. It gives you a good idea of what ppl use and have success with. Also even a standard 10gal aquarium w a decent hang on back filter (aqua clear) can rock for a salt water setup.

There is a thread in the nano forum that is all of members who have converted the Fluval Edge to saltwater tanks. If you check out the tanks in the thread, it might give you some ideas. Then if you have specific questions for people about the tanks, you can go straight to the source!

There is a http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/229244-fluval-edge-tank-thread/'>thread in the nano forum that is all of members who have converted the Fluval Edge to saltwater tanks. If you check out the tanks in the thread, it might give you some ideas. Then if you have specific questions for people about the tanks, you can go straight to the source!

Bravo khuz, you could be saving this young reefers life!

Archived