Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Alternative to frag plugs

ninjamyst

Why use frag plugs? I dont think there's a single reefer that actually likes the look of frag plugs. Most people will try to get rid of them and glue the coral to their rocks. So why hasn't the industry evolve pass frag plugs or at least make better looking ones with a smaller profile. The worst are those big, thick disk frags that are impossible to make smaller. I would think vendors would want them to be as small / thin as possible to save on material.

I found an easy way to make frag plug using Water Weld by JB Weld found at Home Depot. I was making some custom rock work and didn't know how this WW work so I played with it making a disc out of it then I realized I could use it as coral frag. You can probably make 10-15 frag plugs out of one WW tube depending on how big or small you make it.

post-83775-0-42874200-1406261713_thumb.jpg

Why use frag plugs? I dont think there's a single reefer that actually likes the look of frag plugs. Most people will try to get rid of them and glue the coral to their rocks. So why hasn't the industry evolve pass frag plugs or at least make better looking ones with a smaller profile. The worst are those big, thick disk frags that are impossible to make smaller. I would think vendors would want them to be as small / thin as possible to save on material.

They do. It is called rock rubble :P

They do have some tiny/thin ones that I use but you're right. Venders like to send me huge ones. They also have ones that are textured to look like rock but they cost more so coral farmers aren't going to buy them.

The worst is the black/blue plastic ones that ORA uses. They are super hard and impossible to saw/file through (at least with a hand saw). They are the worst ever, can find so many hate threads about them. WHY ORA!!! WHY MUST YOU GRIEF ME!!?! :tears:

Buy a coral on one of these suckers and you won't complain about ceramic ones again. I ended up just breaking the SPS right off it. I couldn't find any other way to get it off.

coralplug_lg.jpg

Archived