Top Shelf Aquatics

Help Me With My Custom Built Aquarium

Kerosene

Hey all. I've gotten out of serious fish keeping for several years and am wanting to get back into it. However this time I'd like to do a nano salt water reef and not a freshwater planted.

I've decided I'd like a 10 gallon (cube, not rectangle) and have been doing a bit of research now. I don't want to rush this, I want to get all my ducks in a row before I make any purchases. So I will start with my first question.

So first is first. The tank. I don't want to get an all in one type deal or maybe I do, I'm on the fence I guess. I just hate the way they look. I want a rimless one. I want this tank to be THE perfect tank for my nano reef and was thinking of getting it custom built by a company (I really like Micro Reef's rimless with the rounded edges look). It will be acrylic.So any help in the design is appreciated.

I've seen on the all in ones where there is about 2 gallons of water behind a wall where people stick their filter and heater. Now to be sure I am understanding this correctly that is not technically a sump (Can it be used as a sump? I suppose not since it's not under the tank?). That is just to hide your equipment. For those that have that little hideaway in the back of their aquarium, does it work well for you?

Hey all. I've gotten out of serious fish keeping for several years and am wanting to get back into it. However this time I'd like to do a nano salt water reef and not a freshwater planted.

I've decided I'd like a 10 gallon (cube, not rectangle) and have been doing a bit of research now. I don't want to rush this, I want to get all my ducks in a row before I make any purchases. So I will start with my first question.

So first is first. The tank. I don't want to get an all in one type deal or maybe I do, I'm on the fence I guess. I just hate the way they look. I want a rimless one. I want this tank to be THE perfect tank for my nano reef and was thinking of getting it custom built by a company (I really like Micro Reef's rimless with the rounded edges look). It will be acrylic.So any help in the design is appreciated.

I've seen on the all in ones where there is about 2 gallons of water behind a wall where people stick their filter and heater. Now to be sure I am understanding this correctly that is not technically a sump (Can it be used as a sump? I suppose not since it's not under the tank?). That is just to hide your equipment. For those that have that little hideaway in the back of their aquarium, does it work well for you?

Welcome! I have an 18g cadlights all in one tank and I love it. The back section is certainly a sump. The water enters into the back section through an overflow, goes through the mechanical and chemical filtration (filter floss->purigen->chemipure elite-> black sponge. The next chamber has my skimmer in it, then my auto top off sensors and heater, then the return pump.

I highly suggest an all in one tank. They cost a little more, but are worth it IMO. My cadlights tank is rimless, has rounded corners, and star fire glass. It is a high end looking tank.

Check out cadlights, glasscages.com, primoreefacrylics.com, seaquaticaquariums.com, there are several places. The point is, if you are gonna get it done very well, just get it done professionally; IF you can go 20 gallons (same footprint as 10gal, but taller, way worth it) I would suggest you do so.
Plan out how you will filter this system. (i spent hundreds just figuring it out, it is smart you are waiting until you know what it is you want)
In my experience, with a 10gal I would suggest a Vortech mp10wes (because you can avoid deadspots no nasty algae after 6 months), Kessil or Radion for sun, about 16# of Rock for filtration, 20# sand, one AC70 (with an ac 30 propeller) with lots of LiveRockRubble, Purigen, Carbon (for 2 months) (buy it in bulk and just refill a baggy whenever you need it), Polyfilter, I would probably run a baggy with GFO in it (just to keep your phosphates down).
It would be a good idea to get some Macro Algae as well, so they can compete with the ugly algae. Some Macros are very pretty, you can place them in the display and they look nice (just remember to trim them as they will grow like a mf) ( i keep some in my HOBfilter and have a reverse cycle on the lights (separate LED) so the PH is steady throughout the day )

Same footprint but taller you say? Hmmm. It was hard enough to talk the boyfriend into the 10 gallon. But he did say he wanted a tall tank ;)

Thanks for the info Anizato.

Thank you for the clarification on the sump in the back Daveluce. If I were to have a tank custom made I should probably decide on a skimmer/equipment in the back first so that I can have a sump that will actually fit it all nicely?

Jolee, I have decided on acrylic this time. Mostly because they are so light and lots of companies make them. They aren't as breakable either.

Archived