Top Shelf Aquatics

Magnesium appears to be good stuff!

Steve973

After my tank cycled, I have a mysterious algae on my rocks. It's just some fuzzy brown stuff, and probably nothing out of the norm. But I also noticed some sprigs of bryopsis poking up. I have no idea where this stuff came from. It either came from my bagged "live" sand, or maybe some stray cells came in on the few frags that I've added. Anyway, i thought I might try to nip this in the bud by dosing a specific level of magnesium. I've been doing this for the past few days, and my corals all seem to be looking better for it. I'm not suggesting that people do this, but I'm wondering if others have observed similar things. My magnesium started out at 1170 and I've been building up from there. FYI, I'm using Kent Tech M.

In my experience, extreme levels of Tech M can get rid if Bryopsis, but has no other beneficial side effects. In fact, certain things will be negatively affected (I've noticed this more with snails, but certain corals seemed to be bothered by it too).

However, since your tank water's magnesium level started out low, the initial increase (back to normal levels) would be beneficial.. Test the alkalinity and calcium levels too. Low magnesium levels can result in one of these pushing the other out of suspension.

New tank, let it do it's thing. I like seeing the uglies in a new tank. Quick fixes never pay off, and raising mag will jack with alk and ca. I'd worry about the cycle and let the algae help scrub the phosphates out.

After my tank cycled, I have a mysterious algae on my rocks. It's just some fuzzy brown stuff, and probably nothing out of the norm. But I also noticed some sprigs of bryopsis poking up. I have no idea where this stuff came from. It either came from my bagged "live" sand, or maybe some stray cells came in on the few frags that I've added. Anyway, i thought I might try to nip this in the bud by dosing a specific level of magnesium. I've been doing this for the past few days, and my corals all seem to be looking better for it. I'm not suggesting that people do this, but I'm wondering if others have observed similar things. My magnesium started out at 1170 and I've been building up from there. FYI, I'm using Kent Tech M.

How high are you planning to raise mg to? It's way too low at 1170, it should be around 1400. Killing bryopsis requires at least 1800 usually.

I've read that 1600-1700 works, so I'm not sure. I got a closer look at the algae and I'm not 100% sure that it's bryopsis. It has a stalk, and it has pieces branching up the length of the stem, but it's not the classic fern look exactly. I'm trying to see if I can come up with a more conclusive id.

Archived