SaltCritters.com

Returning after 6 year break with a new tank/setup

IzzyTheFool

IzzyTheFool

Hello again nano-reefers! Between 2006-2008 I had a very nice Coralife biocube 28g nano-reef that I greatly enjoyed. Sadly I lost my little ocean paradise after an extended power outage due to a hurricane that year. I wound up giving away the tank and a large amount of the supplies, having at the time lost the passion. As they say, time heals all wounds. I'm back with a renewed passion!

Now my problem seems to be an aging memory. I think I've forgotten half of what I knew, and some of what I remember is now outdated. So I'm returning to the rank of beginner and hoping to pick up the pieces as I go. I'd like to start by sharing my proposed tank and setup. For the first year, I plan to keep it simple with a few fish and soft corals like polyps and xenia. If things go well, and I truly hope they do, I'll graduate back into more difficult corals and inverts.

The following is what I have already ordered:

JBJ 45 gallon rimless tank and stand (currently on backorder, but I'm patient)

JBJ Pacifica LED 108w Lighting System for rimless tanks

Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off System

JBJ True Temp Titanium 150w Heating System Kit

Once I get the tank and stand assembled and leak tested, I plan to use:

20 lbs Caribsea Arag-Alive substrate

40 lbs Cured Live rock

I'm holding off on planning for either a refugium or skimmer until I can actually see what's in the bank compartments of the 45 gallon tank. From what I read there is plenty of room, but I would like to see for myself. In the old Biocube setup I had a small in tank refuge with chaeto and mini powerhead.

Suggestions? Comments? I'd love to hear. If the tank ships by the end of the month, I should be able to start my first cycle sometime in August. Looking forward to starting my own little paradise again.

- Izzy

• 1 month later...

So I thought I'd update this thread on my progress, and share a few insights with this tank.

First, I'll start with my own personal tale of shipping woe. Like others here, my first tank arrived in pieces. And that was after a month long wait for a backorder. I had ordered the tank and stand combo from Dr Fosters and Smith, and had been told upfront there would be a wait. I'm not sure if this is just a popular tank setup, or if so many of them are being damaged from shipping it's created a shortage. The tank and stand were shipped in two pieces, but here is the kicker... shipped in their original boxes. No extra shipping boxes or packaging. A label and a fragile sticking plastered right on each box, that was it. I'm still laughing at the look on the UPS guys face when he was unloading the aquarium box from his truck and heard the shattered glass shifting around. What's worse, the stand box was almost in as bad shape. Part of the box had broken open, and the wood had been banged up and marked. It was impossible to tell if all the pieces where there. Needless to say, I refused the delivery and was on the phone with customer service.

To their credit, Fosters and Smith has great customer service. They had a replacement tank and stand expedited out the same day. I told them, don't even bother to send it without properly packaging it this time, or I will refuse it again and cancel the order. They listened. The next tank arrived inside a shipping box complete with bubble wrap, air pocket packers. The tank itself was pristine. Amazingly, with all that packaging there was still a very minor bit of damage. One of the media holders had it's plastic clips that hang on the top of the tank break off, I found the plastic bits inside the tank. I don't fault Fosters and Smith for that, JBJ could have done a better job of packaging inside the product box. More on that later. I did not call or complain about the media holder because I plan to use my own media holder from Intank.

And then we come to the stand. Once again, the box looked like it went through a war zone, but not quite as bad as the first time, or so I thought. I'm going to come right out and say upfront that the packaging JBJ uses to box this stand are inferior and inadequate. It was easy to see that things shifting around inside the product box caused the weak cardboard to split. One of the bags that held a package of hinges and screws had broken open and were loose. The weight of the materials in the box versus the strength and quality of the cardboard and packaging is about the same as trying to carry a brick in a wet paper bag. If you plan to order this stand (and/or tank) from ANY supplier, I implore you to specify that you require extra precautions with packaging.

With all of that out of the way, I can give you my first impressions on the setup. I'm quite happy with the tank. It looks sharp, and it feels solidly built. It passed the water leak test without problem, and the stock pumps seem to be pushing the water quite well. I'm bit sad that the back of the tank is not clear, it's an opaque black plastic over the glass. This dashes some of my hope of using one full compartment for chaeto, unless I use a submersible light. The stand once built, does feel solid. It has a 3rd support wall in it's center which splits the cabinet in two. It matches the tank nicely and the two look great together. I should be able to fit a 5 gallon acrylic tank in the bottom of the stand as a reservoir for my ATO.

I'll post pictures tomorrow when I get some time. At this rate, I should be able to begin my cycle before the end of the month. Still a few things to order. I'll also need to decide on a skimmer. In the meantime I'll be spending the next few days refreshing myself on things I've forgotten and checking other posts for some reviews on skimmers and startup tips. Feel free to ask any questions, or give me suggestions. Thanks!

Best of luck w/ the setup! Did you end up returning the second stand?

I did not. My patience it seems only lasted so far. I figured if something was missing a quick trip to Lowes or Home Depot would easily remedy the problem. I was already debating a trip there for extra supports. In the end everything was in fact in the box, but as I said some screws and bits were loose. Luckily none of the surfaces were scratched. The stand did not need extra support and feels very solid now that it's together.

Is it over priced? Yes. Is it compressed particle board? Yes. Would I recommend it to someone else? Maybe.

My major gripe with this stand was the horrible product packaging from JBJ. The finished product once assembled is actually what I had hoped for. If you're not the type of person who can design and build your own stand to match the look your tank, then yes. I'd say this stand is something worthy of your consideration.

I feel you on the lack of patience. Glad to hear that the stand ended up working out well, despite the bad packaging. I also had some stand issues (got a kinda cheap-o stand from petco) and ended up upgrading to a deep blue cabinet (love it).

Pics? :)

Now you gotta share pictures!

Fine, fine... here's one to hold you over. ;) Please excuse the poor lighting, messy corner, and 70lb dog trying to climb up my leg because she thinks the phone is a treat. I promise better pics to come!

yuAxAHV.jpg

The last of the ordered items arrived today. Assuming I can get my final wiring and plumbing done this weekend, all that will be left to order is the live rock on Monday. Intank did not have the exact fit media basket ready for shipping that Seabass linked earlier in this thread. They suggested the Innovative Marine 30/38 media basket if I could not wait. I decided to go ahead and order that, as well as their filter floss holder for the other spillover compartment. When the correct size media basket is ready for shipping (still no estimate availble,) I'll probably order that as well, and use the smaller 30/38 as a biomedia holder in place of the filter floss holder on the other side. The holder looks well made and is a big improvement over the stock holder. I also grabbed 2 of the spin stream return nozzles. After I see them in action for a bit, I can judge if I'll need a powerhead to help with wave/movement.

I also changed my mind on the live sand, and ordered 2 bags of the 15 lbs Two Little Fishies Live Aragonite sand. I didn't think 20 lbs would be enough, and afraid 40 lbs would be to much. I'd like a deep enough sand bed for feather duster worms, but not deep enough to go through the headaches of risky methane bubbles.

Aside from the salt mix, prime and a few supplements, the only other interesting thing to mention is the backup power. I found the CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD UPS 1500VA 900W for a good price on Amazon. If I did my math right, this should be able to run the 2 pumps and heater for a period of 12-16 hours. More then enough time to get gas powered generator out the garage up and running. I will not be making the same mistake with hurricanes again. ;)

So that's where I stand. The last two big decisions are which live rock and skimmer to purchase. I have some time to decide on the skimmer, but I'm leaning towards the Tunze model I'm seen quite a few other members here using. Getting excited now, startup is close...

I also grabbed 2 of the spin stream return nozzles. After I see them in action for a bit, I can judge if I'll need a powerhead to help with wave/movement.

Let me know how these work out for you.

I like the idea of having something in my tank to vary the flow, but I've found there aren't many positive reviews. I do hope you like them though!

Nice tank so far!

I have the spin streams and have been pleased with them so far. So reviews report that they reduce output, but I have an additioinal powerhead and can't say that I've noticed a large difference in flow since installing them. I got them primarily to alternate flow and have seen it really make a difference in some of my softies (they're not getting blasted continuously).

The biggest con so far is that they do emit a "clicking" noise when they rotate. However, I'll say that you only notice it when you get fairly close to the tank. Overall I'd recommend them :).

Let me know what you think of the back up power supply, I've been considering getting one myself, but not sure what's a good buy.

The biggest con so far is that they do emit a "clicking" noise when they rotate. However, I'll say that you only notice it when you get fairly close to the tank. Overall I'd recommend them :).

Let me know what you think of the back up power supply, I've been considering getting one myself, but not sure what's a good buy.

Great to hear. I can always use one spin stream, and keep the other pump outlet open full with the stock directional nozzle.

I'm pushing back the date by one week to cure the live rock. I'll probably order this Friday and expect it to ship on Monday. Things at work have livened up, with everyone taking end of the summer vacations. So in turn I signed up for some overtime. Maybe I can use that extra money to talk myself into that 300 something dollar wavemaker I keep eyeing.

Meanwhile, I did discover that my estimate on sand was incorrect. I had to grab a third 15lb bag of the live sand. That should put me right where I want to be.

The backup power supply, is the same supply I use for my home computer. I like it a lot. The LCD readout will show exactly how long the supply will run with the current load when your power goes out. Once I'm fully set up, I'll give you the exact time estimates along with the pump wattage/amp draw and you can probably guesswork how the same system would work for you. One thing I do plan to do, is run a powerstrip connected to the output of the UPS that will be mounted to the back of the cabinet. The pumps will be plugged in there, so I'll have an easy time to just reach around the back and shut them off during feeding time. The heater meanwhile will plug directly into the UPS. I may have to get a small extension cord just to make sure the heater power cable has enough of a drip line catch.

That's it for now. Busy week ahead. I'll post pictures and updates by the weekend when it's all assembled.

Agree with Atrox wp-25 is awesome. I love mine.

Thanks, I'll look into this. Anything that saves me some money now, just means more money spent on corals later. ;)

Just thought I'd update... it's been busy around here. 45 lbs of live rock was delivered this morning, and is now curing in my tank. I made the rookie mistake of stirring up the sand too much, so I couldn't see well enough to aquascape. Right now, all the rock, as well the 15 lbs of base rock is just stacked haphazardly until the water clears up a bit and I can move things around. I did make a small cave out of 3 pieces of base rock and putty beforehand.

Now the waiting game begins. I'll post pics of my cloudy but running tank later today. Right now, I have a lot of cleaning up to do. :lol:

Best looking JBJ tank Ive seen.

From where did you get the Live Rock?

Looks like that I received from PA, just bigger.

I bought the base rock from a local fish store, and ordered the Fiji shelf rock from Liveaquaria.com. I was going back and forth between a few different sites, but picked Liveaquaria mainly because I had gotten my live rock from them back in 2006. Had no complaints then, and again no complaints now.

Two more pictures, sorry for the bad photo quality. I'm going to need to step up my photography game in a few weeks.

TN1V6i2.jpg

s6rYjkc.jpg

Quick picture of the tank cleared up. Just starting to see some ammonia buildup, cycle has started. Only things left to install are the skimmer and light, which I'll do when the cycle ends. Time to sit back and let nature take it's course.

Ravzz17.jpg

A couple more pictures and a question about my tank cycle. It seems to be going rather faster then I anticipated. These are my test results for today. My ammonia is almost completely gone, and the nitrite is spiked, nitrate now starting to rise. That's only after 1 week roughly since the live rock went in. The last time I did this 10 years ago or so, the cycle took 3-4 weeks. I also have a smell that I don't remember from my old biocube.. like a musty basement. This anything to be worried about?

g72EYEq.jpg

Lastly, here are a few lighting test pictures with the JBJ Pacifica. Yes, I am aware that some people do not like actual sunlight affecting their tanks. While I value everyone's opinion, the old biocube was in the exact same place and did just fine up until a hurricane. No problematic algae that the cleanup crew couldn't handle. Thanks for looking!

nivW1DG.jpg

8t8HAHk.jpg

There is no set rule on how long it will take to establish the nitrogen cycle. You can try some activated carbon to see if it helps with the smell.

Archived