Innovative Marine Aquariums

First ever saltwater tank!

CurtBoswell

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any place cheaper like $1.50 a pound?

The BRS Reef Saver and Tonga branch ends up being a little bit cheaper. It makes sense to order there if you are getting some other equipment to reach the free shipping min. ;)

Will this thermometer work? http://m.ebay.com/itm/400459348587

Should work just fine. I'm glad you didn't post a digital one, as though are known for being inaccurate.

CurtBoswell

I'll check out BRS I think I still have a few points left on my account. :D haha! Try to get some rock, salt, sand from there. Free shipping is what we want. Haha!

Thanks! I read about them a little bit. So I had an idea of which to go with. Should I use two? On in display one in refugium. Or one on one side of refugium and one on the other?

Thanks! I read about them a little bit. So I had an idea of which to go with. Should I use two? On in display one in refugium. Or one on one side of refugium and one on the other?

I use the Reef Saver rock and like it very much. I ended up using a chisel (or screwdriver) and hammer (or just a hammer and go to town!) to break up the rock for a nano scape to make this I epoxied the pieces together, so it was one solid structure.

If you do decide to epoxy, make sure you are 100% happy with it! it is not coming apart!

Many people simply stack the rock, which is also fine. Just make sure it is secure, and I personally like to place the rock before sand, so it is a little more balanced. Don;t forget to leave room for corals to grow :)

CurtBoswell

I'll probably just stack the rock. Hopefully in a couple years I'll be able to set up a larger aquarium and I'll use this rock to sees the dry rock that I get. :)

I finally got enough money to buy everything I need to start! Then I have to save up for the lights. I'll probably order everything tomorrow or Tuesday! Should have everything by next week! I'm so excited!

CurtBoswell

It's so fun when it all comes together omgomgomg

Be sure to post a Tank Journal in the Members Aquarium section.

I tried last night but I couldn't get pictures to post from my iphone! :( I have the tanks, light fixtures, ph test, and timer all on this little stand just waiting for me to add everything!

Yup what seabass said ;)

I usually just email them to myself and upload them via a computer to whichever host you prefer (flickr, tiny pic, imgur, photobucket etc..)

CurtBoswell

Thanks! So after I add my CUC and get rid of the algae blooms what should I add next? Sexy Shrimp, Ocellaris Clownfish, Firefish, or coral? I almost have everything ordered to start the tank hopefully my Red Sea coral pro salt comes in by Monday!

• 2 weeks later...

You can do a conversion, but the range would be hard to read with accuracy. They offer one with a dual scale (for $10 more) which shows why this isn't your best choice.

$T2eC16F,!yEE9s5jDWL9BQpbhlEnFw~~60_12.J

So I ordered this refractometer and I have been looking at it recently. The SG and the salinity don't match up? ?

I don't understand. What do you mean by they don't match up?

If it can clearly display a specific gravity of 1.025 or 33 PPT, then you should be able to use it.

I was saying salinity was at 5% while specific gravity was at 1.020. I think I figured it out.

I actually bought a small piece of live rock today. I've been trying to mix Red Sea coral pro salt with RO water. I followed the directions exactly and my refractometer meter reads that it is about 1.015. I added a little more salt at a time. It has only gotten up to 1.019. I have been mixing it for about 3 hours. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Oh, I see. The 5% is the Brix%.

Do you have a hydrometer to compare it against? Refractometers need to be calibrated from time to time; although most come pre-calibrated. You generally use calibration fluid (that compares with NSW) to calibrate it.

I finally got the SG where it needed to bet here was a serpent star on a piece of live rock I got. It's very tiny. It had been out of water for 8 hours. I thought it was dead. As soon as I put the mixed water in it started moving like crazy! This thing is so entertaining! Has this happened to anyone else? :D

Archived