Coral Vue Hydros

Decent camera for macro shots/color

Havok_9

I just want something that will accomplish basic macro shots and capture close to color images. I'd like to get some decent pictures of my tank! I've been skimming through craigslist to see if anything pops up, but don't really know what to look for.

I found a couple sony cyber shots priced decently. Would this function? I'm looking to spend under $100.

Did you buy one?

If you don't have one already, you might need a SDHC card for it: http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Speed-Flash-Memory-TS16GSDU1E/dp/B00FB463E2/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

They will start about $10

And while this camera uses AA batteries, I'd consider getting some decent recargables (or use AA batteries designed for electronics).

Download the user manual, so that you know how to use aperture priority mode for corals, shutter priority for fish, or full manual for total control. It will also tell you how to set the custom white balance to get rid of the blue that haunts mosts cell phone tank pics.

I went ahead and ordered it last night- exactly what I was looking for in my price range. And okay, gonna look into the cards now. I take it that this camera runs batteries dry pretty fast? Did you have one, do you have personal experience?

Will definitely download the user manual, as I have no experience with photography, yikes.. Thank you again for pointing me in a good direction!

I take it that this camera runs batteries dry pretty fast? Did you have one, do you have personal experience?

I have a Canon A720IS which isn't that different. It runs on AA batteries, has a custom white balance, multiple modes (auto, aperture priority, shutter priority, and manual) and has image stabilization; however, it only has half the zoom range that yours will. They both have small image sensors (as will just about any fixed lens camera in this price range).

I like(d) it. It was a good tank shooter and overall decent camera. The battery life never really bothered me that much. And if you will be shooting a lot of pictures (like at MACNA or vacations), you can take an extra pack of batteries along with you.

I recently upgraded to a Canon S120, which is smaller, has a larger image sensor, and newer image processor (cost me a lot more too). However, I have a waterproof case for my A720 that I haven't used yet, so I've kept it to so I can play around with that someday.

The nice thing about your camera is that the manual controls are very similar to those of more advanced cameras. So what you learn about this camera will translate to even higher end cameras that you might own in the future.

I think you'll like it, and have fun!

The REALLY nice thing about that camera, is the ability to shoot in RAW mode with a cheap point and shoot. I also have the SX120 and there is a fairly simple hack to get it to unlock very advanced camera settings. Google it :)

Awesome info, seabass, I appreciate you taking the time to help! I'm feeling very confident about the purchase, looking forward to playing around with it and getting some good tank shots up here.

Ha, and I'll have to look up that hack, reefgeek, once I get the camera. Not sure I'll even understand it- my knowledge of photography doesn't surprass 'Aim, focus, click, view'. Thanks!

Archived