Pod Your Reef

wildbill79's Reef - Lettin' It Grow Out

wildbill79

Did my Friday water change yesterday and also picked up my normal frag. We lost our torch due to a barnacle growing in the head and my wife wanted me to pick up another. I really liked the yellow tips on the last one, but this one is much fuller and seems to like the tank.

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/torch_823.jpg.html'>torch_823.jpg

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/torch_2_823.jpg.html'>torch_2_823.jpg

Other than that, pretty normal. I just really like taking and posting pics of my tank. I need to get a macro lens so I can get on the level with some of the fine photogs on this site. I really do have photo envy!

FTS:

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/fts_823.jpg.html'>fts_823.jpg

Side shot(I need to knock the algae off of the glass; Dayum):

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/sideshot_823.jpg.html'>sideshot_823.jpg

Other Side:

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/sideshot_2_823.jpg.html'>sideshot_2_823.jpg

My first palys(new little polyp):

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/paly_823.jpg.html'>paly_823.jpg

Zoas opening up more this week too. They are forming new polyps too.

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/zoa_4_823.jpg.html'>zoa_4_823.jpg

And the last one to remind me what this tank is really all about!

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/keeg_823.jpg.html'>keeg_823.jpg

I am expecting my second son this week. Maybe my wife will want to get a second tank!(I highly doubt it, but a boy can dream.) Until next week! Stay classy Nano-Reef!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
great scape and love all the pics!

Thanks man! I love taking pictures of the tank. I could sit here and talk about the tank, but it doesn't mean sh!t if you can't see what I am talking about. I will keep 'em coming(even if no one is looking)!

Thanks man! I love taking pictures of the tank. I could sit here and talk about the tank, but it doesn't mean sh!t if you can't see what I am talking about. I will keep 'em coming(even if no one is looking)!

people are looking! i recently found a barnacle in my torch. i was wondering what was causing it to not open all the time. research shows they are harmless but my torch definitely looks stressed.

people are looking! i recently found a barnacle in my torch. i was wondering what was causing it to not open all the time. research shows they are harmless but my torch definitely looks stressed.

The barnacle on mine started small on the inside of I the skeleton and grew really quickly until it was completely grown over one head and killed that one. It grew to touch the other head and I came home from work one day to find my Emerald Crab picking the dead tentacles out of the other head. It really didn't look that healthy from day one. The new one is much more robust. Hopefully it will have a much longer life.

The barnacle on mine started small on the inside of I the skeleton and grew really quickly until it was completely grown over one head and killed that one. It grew to touch the other head and I came home from work one day to find my Emerald Crab picking the dead tentacles out of the other head. It really didn't look that healthy from day one. The new one is much more robust. Hopefully it will have a much longer life.

same here! the barnacle keeps getting bigger and bigger. and it's in the middle of hte torch head. i am gonna super glue that sucker tomorrow.

nice tank followed you here from your signature gonna follow you for sure

Thanks! I have a lot of work to do. I think I found a zoa eating nudi today when I got home from work. I also came home to a pretty good cyano outbreak on my sand and on the base of my rocks. I need to find the source. I don't test for phosphates and I am guessing that may be the root of the problem. All of my params are good. I will get a test and go from there. I took the best pictures that I could of the nudi. I will try to post it later.

Goodluck, hope you get rid of all the bad nudis

Thank you! I have a pic of it. It is a really bad pic, but I couldn't get a good shot of it. It actually took on the color of the zoa. Pretty close anyway. Definitely a nudi though. I have noticed that the zoas had a few with big chomps taken out of them. Here is the terrible pic.

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/nudicopy.jpg.html'>nudicopy.jpg

I have taken the zoas and did a dip in Coral Rx. I had a couple of tiny white brittle stars and an unidentified bug come out, but didn't see this little critter.

Yup, that is definitely a positive ID if it takes on the colour of the zoa (specifically the skirt) it is currently munching on. Be sure to scrape off any eggs you see on the zoa stems too, they are pretty easy to spot, white dots arranged in a spiral. Man I hate those buggers

Yup, that is definitely a positive ID if it takes on the colour of the zoa (specifically the skirt) it is currently munching on. Be sure to scrape off any eggs you see on the zoa stems too, they are pretty easy to spot, white dots arranged in a spiral. Man I hate those buggers

He was crushing a pretty nice little colony of zoas. Not the most expensive, but full and I like them. He was a wild looking little dude. My first run in with one. Now to work on the cyano.

that snail looks so cool! what kind of snail is that? i never seen one with those yellow "legs"

Just a turban snail. I have three. A nassarius snail, scarlet hermit crab, emerald crab, and a bunch of hitch hiking collonista snails. I think I need more cleanup crew. I do have a few bristle worms, asterna stars and brittle stars too, but my tank is always fairly dirty.

Just the regular Friday at the LFS for me. I went and got some water for the water change and got a 3 for $25 deal on a few frags. I picked up an acropora of some sort.

acro1_829.jpg

A single polyp of Rastas(sorry for the terrible pic)

rasta_829.jpg

The third was a 2 polyp frag of Darth Mauls. Sorry, I couldn't get a decent picture of them.

I also fraged out my Radioactive Dragon Eyes day before yesterday. They were looking pretty unhealthy and I had a nudi that was slugging them back pretty good. I cut away all of the ones that were dying and made 3 smaller colonies. The good thing about the tank is that the SPS seems to be doing pretty well for now. The Green Birds Nest is really full and robust.

toprock2_829.jpg

All in all, the tank is doing ok. I am still battling a small break out of cyano on the sand. From what I have read, this is pretty normal for a tank that is 2-4 months old. It is still coming along pretty well in my eyes.

FTS_8292.jpg

I have some really exciting news for it as well. I ordered the LED upgrage for the tank yesterday. I am going with the True Lumen Pro LEDs. I order the 12k Diamond white and the Actinic Pacific Blue. I also have the dimmer coming with them. Should be here next week and I am ready to get them going. I think this will definitely be an upgrade from the stock Coralife Biocube lighting that I have now. I will continue the cyano fight and will try to get an update out next week. Me and the wife are expecting the second little boy on Wednesday, so I am sure I will be fairly occupied.

I really don't know if they are good or not. That is the only fish store that I go to. They are really nice and helpful, so I really wouldn't care if it were more expensive. Funny how that works. I would definitely pay higher retail as long as customer service is good.

congrats on the upcoming baby! i really want a little brother for our 18 month old but you can't really control what you get. :rolleyes:

i love that green's birdnest. i haven't seen any i've liked around town yet, but it (birdnest coral) is on my list for sure.

Birds nests are definitely cool. There are a lot of great examples of them on nano-reef.com. Fast growing and fairly hardy. If anyone can kill one, I can. I want a little brother tank for this one. Thanks for the congrats! A little bro will be cool though. I foresee lotsa fights in my future.

Are you planning on upgrading the lighting?

I ordered the LED upgrade last week. Should be here by mid-week. I am pretty stoked!

Your tank is looking stellar!!!! I really love that chalice...chalice right? With the pink spots? :)

Thanks! It is far from stellar. I am fighting cyano on a daily basis. Everything is coming together pretty well, but either nutrients or phosphates(which I don't test for right now) are running a little high. That is a Chalice and I love it! They are cool pieces. I love watching it feed and the sweepers that it puts out are pretty gnarly.

Super plump goby! That is pretty awesome that your son gets to watch Nemo all the time, he must have really great parents.

That cyano issue is a real pain, my tank is about a year in its current iteration and seems to be having an outbreak. This could be due to a cycle kick started from moving it, but I would wager it is from feeding more mysis shrimp than usual. Is it possible you don't have enough filtration to deal with this fatty food?

Archived