Coral Vue Hydros

wildbill79's Reef - Lettin' It Grow Out

wildbill79

Total noob! Started a biocube 14 for my son for his 2nd birthday(it's in two days!). I wanted to start it early so I could get a fish for him for his birthday. So I will get started from the beginning.

CORALIFE BioCube 14

Equipment:

Marineland MJ 900(Chamber 3)

Koralia Nano(240) Powerhead

True Lumen Pro 12"(2) w/Dimmer and 60w Driver, 1 Pacific Blue Actinic, 1 12K Diamond White, Original Moonlights(6 LED(2 Strips))

Filter Floss, Carbon Pad(Chamber 2)

ViaAqua 100w Heater(Chamber 1)

Thrive Frag Rack

Livestock:

False Percula Clownfish

Yellow Watchman Goby RIP Grumps

Emerald Crab

(3) Turban Snails

(?) Brittle Stars

(1) Scarlet Hermit Crab

(?) Colinista Snails

(1) Nassarius Snail

Peppermint Shrimp Evicted

Coral:

Purple People Eaters (Palythoa sp.)

Unknown Orange and Yellow Zoas (Zoanthus sp.)

LA Laker Zoas

(1) Torch (Euphyllia glabrescens)

(2) Small Hammers (Euphyllia ancora)

(1) Ricordae (Ricordea florida)

(1) Chalice (Echinophyllia aspera)

Radioactive Dragon Eyes Zoanthid (Zoanthus sp.)(nearly all gone)

Green Birdsnest (Seriatopora hystrix)

(2) Birdsnests with blue polyps (Seriatopora hystrix)

Rasta Zoanthids (Zoanthus sp.)

Pink Maul Zoanthids (Zoanthus sp.)

Rainbow Montipora (Montipora monasteriata)

Rasta Morph Zoanthid (Zoanthus sp.)

Soprano Zoanthids (Zoanthus sp.)

Tubbs Blue Zoanthids (Zoanthus sp.)

Kyptonite Zoas (Zoanthus sp.)

(5) Unknown Zoanthids(Zoanthus sp.)

Darth Maul Zoanthid (Zoanthus sp.)

Green Staghorn Acropora (Acropora cervicornis)

Superman Montipora (Montipora monasteriata)

Rainbow Acan(Acanthastrea echinata)

Green Slimer(?)

Montipora Spongodes

Jedi Mindtrick

FTS - 2/7/2015

FTS - 1/4/2015

fts1-4.jpg

FTS - 12/16/2014

fts1216.jpg

FTS - 11/30/2014

fts0293820394820348.jpg

FTS - 11/8/2014

FTS11082.jpg

FTS - 9/25/14

FTS925.jpg

FTS - 9/13/14

fts_913.jpg

FTS - 8/29/14

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/FTS_8292.jpg.html]FTS_8292.jpg[/url]

FTS - 8/17/14

FTS_817.jpg

sideshot_1.jpg

FTS - 8/3/2014

FTS_3.jpg

FTS_SIDE.jpg

7/17/2014 - a long period with no pictures. Major algae bloom in the photo gap. CUC cleaned most of it up nicely! Added a small island LR in the front of the tank. Not really the most creative scape, but I kind of like the simplicity of it. A cave and a few crevices. All that I really wanted.

67628E61-B503-427D-A299-33D74E1C762B.jpg

I added a frag of People Eaters.

0344EEE1-8047-4E61-BE8B-F970A45A38A6.jpg

6/22/2014 - Had a small algae bloom, but nothing major, yet.

66D93B9F-6465-43D8-80B0-BE7F97186671.jpg

6/15/2014

675E6D5F-B946-4B35-B1DB-8C4D0BEBD35E.jpg

6/13/2014

3A00F7F3-8A39-474B-8D08-A67DF8D8DC08.jpg

Rock was wonky. Made a few scape changes.

6/12- live sand, 12 lbs of live rock and 10 gallons of saltwater from the LFS. And so the cycle begins!

BF7A6082-F706-4D15-B135-7F69913A17D8.jpg

6/10- tank purchased and took it home to get measurements to build a stand.

I will try to tomorrow and post a few pics. May break out the DSLR and try to learn to take some tank shots. Anyways, this is what I am working with. I have seen so many amazing tanks on this site I was a little intimidated to post mine. My son is pumped about it and we don't even have fish yet. More to come.....

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is my son's birthday so it's fish time! Went today and picked up the little fella. We haven't named him, but you can guess what a 2 year old calls him. I will not say for fear of getting ?'d.

C26EC603-F672-4560-B85D-EAB66F0CA6F7.jpg

146B8C78-5A98-4C03-BBC2-F5F80BF8C004.jpg

I have also read that a lot of Biocube owners replace their stock pump, so I picked up the MJ 900 today as well.

272ADCBD-126B-4976-9D21-42FEBFB0B89B.jpg

Here is also a pic(sorry so blue) of the hammer that I accused to stinging my torch. It split in two after I pulled it from the plug, but it worked out well.

D8B2EFA7-E04B-4B94-A3D8-D0DE6AC1886C.jpg

More to come soon! I am having too much fun with this hobby. I think I am addicted!

So, last weekend I added a new frag of some orange zoas. I took this picture when I first added them. They still haven't opened up. The reason that I am posting them, if you take a look at the zoas below(my first corals and it took a while for them to open too) they have white spots on them. The spots aren't protruding and as large as the 'Zoa Pox' spots that I have seen. I have looked all over the internet and can't find anything that exactly resembles it. Can anyone tell me what this may be? It is under the surface. Thinking maybe nudi eggs or some burrowing pest. Maybe nothing. Any treatment suggestions? They are opening really well during the day now too. Still very little opening for the new ones and I am hoping it doesn't spread.

D9F720CD-CC4E-4760-ADC3-465EFEA89B33.jpg

Added chemi pure yesterday(had no chemical filter) and, WOW, the water in my tank is SO clear. Had a small cyano outbreak on my sand and it was nearly gone today. Still some lingering though.

I love it when you can make up an excuse to start a new tank. My wife says one only. So now I'm gonna try to tell her that a new tank will be a sign of our partnership and the love I feel for everyday.

The great part is, my wife is the one that waned to start this one because our son loves fish and the water so much. I used to help my college roommate with his two reef tanks so I already knew that I enjoyed it. You are right, it was just an excuse for me. I am totally hooked now. Second son due in five weeks and I hope she wants to get him one too. After all of the sick tanks I see on here, I've got me some ideas now!

I got a couple of new adds this weekend. Friday, 8/2 I did a water change and picked up these little zoas. I was told that they are L.A. Lakers. The look really cool. Still wating for them to fully open up. Couldn't get a really good pic of them.

lakers_1-1.jpg

I took the palys out and dipped them in Coral Rx and they seem to be really happy now.

paly_1-1.jpg

Here is one of the Scarlet Hermit.

hermit_1-1.jpg

At light on this morning, this guy was out. The first time that I have seen him in his entirety. I usually see a leg or two hanging out. There are 3 or 4 of these that were hitch hikers in my LR. There are another dozen or so of the little white brittle stars.

brittle2.jpg

The ricordae that broke his foothold and came off of his plug is still roaming. He is happy in the corner and it is cool to see it move. It actually goes against the current.

ric_1.jpg

My little orange zoas still aren't very happy. They still haven't opened all of the way up and it has been 2 weeks. I will just wait I guess.

zoa_1-1.jpg

It's been about a week and a half and the False Percula is still super happy. Loves the current and is always hungry!

clown_2.jpg

clown_4.jpg

8/3 - Picked up a Yellow Watchman Goby - A.K.A - Grumps. Super cool fish. This will be it as far as fish goes for this tank. I am really happy with the clown and the Goby. The guys at the LFS said I should pair him up with a Pistol Shrimp, but I think I will just go with him for now. I haven't had luck with shrimp. My last shrimp, a peppermint, ate all of the apstaisia and then turned to my torch and zoa. Got the boot!

goby1.jpg

goby2-1.jpg

I am sure that I will have another update next weekend. I do my water changes every Friday after work and I usually pick up a new frag then too.

Until next time!

He finally made a home under a rock while I was at work today. Cool fish! Very fun to watch the grumpy little dude.

I stepped into some new territory this weekend. Did my weekly water change on Friday and picked up a chalice. This is my first go with one, and I think it is pretty sweet. I was looking for something that I could keep mid-level in my tank and I was steered into this.

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/chalice2.jpg.html'>chalice2.jpg

I can't wait to see it grow. I originally wanted to start with an acan this weekend, but I think that I made the right choice. I have enough corals low in the tank right now(of course I will be getting an acan next).

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/chalice1.jpg.html'>chalice1.jpg

For the ricordae that broke free from it's plug: it has been missing for the last few days. I couldn't find it to save my life. I think the current took it under the rock where my goby has made it's home. For three days, no sign of it. It has now started up through a hole that is in one of my pieces of LR. I thouht that this was pretty cool. Still have no idea if it will make it or not, but I am still going to wait and see what happens.

I got a new (large) colony of radioactive dragon eyes yesterday for $20 at the LFS. I was looking for something different, but it was too good to pass up. I will get some pictures tomorrow. Having a small cyano outbreak. Checked all params and everything looks OK. Hammers have been a little upset too. Anybody have any suggestions on what to check? I have taken the temp from 80 to 77 and am waiting to see if anything happens. Everything else looks good. Post more tomorrow.

Weekly water change on Friday along with a new frag purchase. I picked up a pretty full colony of zoas for $20. They said they were radioactive dragon eyes. They were too good to pass up. I was actually looking for acans or some sort of SPS to give a try.

Under Actinics:

zoa_new1.jpg

Under day lights:

zoa_daylights.jpg

Everything in the tank was just fed, so the zoas were a little closed up. This is the first zoas that I have had that were fully opened as soon as I put them in the tank. After the feeding the whole gang was out and about.

whole_clan.jpg

I was bored today so I headed up the my LFS and picked up this little guy!

birdsnest_1.jpg

Green Birdsnest

I have wanted to try SPS and I know that I probably don't have adequate lighting to do anything extravagant. I wanted to give it a go though, so I put it as high in the tank as I could and there is really good flow at the top of my tank. The spot was bare, so what the hell.

top_rock_1.jpg

Here is a pic of the chalice that grabbed some mysis.

chalice_eating.jpg

Daylights.

chalice_eating_daylights.jpg

Here is Grumpy, full as a tick.

grumpy_1.jpg

Palys are happy and starting to grow new heads.

paly_2-1.jpg

These zoas are starting to open up little by little. I really like the colors(not the best pic), so I hope they end up ok.

zoa_2.jpg

All in all, I am really happy with the way the tank is shaping up. Coraline is starting to grow on the back wall and on the circulation pump. All of the rocks have pinks, reds, purples and greens. I am hooked and can't wait until this Friday for the water change and to look for new life!

FTS_daylight1.jpg

Looks great! The "unknown" palys with the spots are called "People Eaters" due to their neon green mouth, and their "watermelon" type pattern when they're closed.

Looks great! The "unknown" palys with the spots are called "People Eaters" due to their neon green mouth, and their "watermelon" type pattern when they're closed.

That was my first thought when I picked them up. I think that there are 2 different types in this frag though. The ones on the right have more yellow in the center around the mouth. The left are more purple around the mouth.

Lookin good there dude!

Thanks! I saw that you got the Reefbreeder LED for yours. That will be pretty sweet!

:wub: Grumps!

He looks pissed all of the time. Eats like a horse though, so he should be pretty happy. I was looking for a name with that had to do with the sweet ass foo-man-chu that he is sporting, but I drew a blank.

He looks pissed all of the time. Eats like a horse though, so he should be pretty happy. I was looking for a name with that had to do with the sweet ass foo-man-chu that he is sporting, but it drew a blank.

I'm thinking about a YWG/pistol combo for my upcoming cube, but husband wants a yasha because the YWGs look grumpy :lol:. I've been on an NCIS marathon so I might have to name mine Gibbs.

I'm thinking about a YWG/pistol combo for my upcoming cube, but husband wants a yasha because the YWGs look grumpy :lol:. I've been on an NCIS marathon so I might have to name mine Gibbs.

Gibbs is pissy!

I tried to get the cute picture of my kid gazing into his tank, but I think he would rather flip me the bird. This is the best that I have. He really does love his tank though. He sits there all of the time and watches it.

kee.jpg

As for the story of the missing Ricordae, I have the path that it traveled and now it is found. How this thing went under a rock and squeezed though this hole to get to the top of the rock, I will never know.

ric_travel.jpg

I couldn't get a really good pic of the ric because of the angle, but where it sits, there is a hole under it that goes through to the goby lair under the rock. Pretty cool journey. It took a couple of weeks to complete.

http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/wmaldridge/media/ric_2.jpg.html'>ric_2.jpg

Tank's looking good!

gotta love YWGs! mine used to love posing for the cam and photobomb coral shots :lol: Does Grumpy do that too?

june_19640x480.jpg

Tank's looking good!

gotta love YWGs! mine used to love posing for the cam and photobomb coral shots :lol: Does Grumpy do that too?

june_19640x480.jpg

He likes to hang out under the rock until feeding time or at night. My clown is the little photobomber! He plays it up for the camera.

i followed your signature link to this thread...us n00bs gotta stick together!

i have an 18 month old who i hope is as into this tank one day as yours is. and we will probably be getting a you-know-what fish because of you-know-why. haha

Kids love fish. My wife wanted to get the tank. Best decision she has ever made! The only problem is it's in my son's room and I have periods that can go in and look because he is sleeping and she says I make too much noise. I am immersed in the hobby and will eventually get a second tank. My son loves it, but has the attention span of a 2 year old! I, on the other hand, stare into it for hours. My wife is starting to think that there is something wrong with me.

Archived