inTank Media Baskets

The Official Mystery Sticks Appreciation Thread

TJ_Burton

The Official Browned Out Acro Mystery Sticks Appreciation Thread

This is something I have been thinking about starting for a while now, and I finally decided to make it happen, because why not?

All of us "stick" lovers out there have purchased a brown mystery SPS at some point, not knowing what it may one day turn into. I personally have done this plenty of times, and more often than not I am pleased with my purchase several months down the road when it finally colors up.

I wanted to start this page so those of us who DO like to walk on the wild side, have a place to share our experiences in purchasing less attractive SPS and document their individual roads to recovery.

I am going to kick things off with what looks like some type of tabling acro that is more or less completely brown, save for some hints of green around the base. I will continue to edit and update this post as it recovers over the coming weeks. (first pics will be posted shortly)

If anyone else has any from past or present that they would like to share, please contribute!
I think it would also be nice to include info on your water params, lighting, and flow for those who are using this thread as a reference. I will throw that info up for mine as soon as I get the pictures posted.

Here is my Mystery Table Acro 7/22/2014

Mystery_TablekXbVy.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Got this as a browned out sad looking frag at a LFS. It grew into a teal awesomeness. Later, I ID'd it as A. Saramentosa. It's actually a really polypy acro, but I knocked it slightly before taking the pic.

saramentosa20140729_zpsa4ca11bc.jpg

• 1 year later...

Damn, I thought you might be restarting. My brown to colorful sticks are all dead but I have more that will hopefully turn into something, someday. I can show my Lokani,

bought as an unknown brown frag, colored up pretty quickly...

FdtxrK.jpg

... and then proved to be a survivor, outliving most of my other acros and only browned a little while most died.

anOsWlw.jpg

I'm still not sure if it should be blue, purple, or something else, but the best $10 I ever spent. :)

Archived