Pod Your Reef

Aquascaping

Genie382

Hi all! So I've leak tested my tank, got around 15 gallons of pre-mixed salt water from the LFS (I ended up buying 2 five gallon water buckets from them and making 2 trips) and am ready to level my tank (the stand was purchased from Petco and it's a bit wobbly, it also seems to lean a bit to the front, so I'm hoping to fill the tank part way and fix the imbalance w/ shims). However before I level it out I'd like to add some water to tank to get an accurate idea of how out of balance it is and figured I'd just aquascape it first. I just wanted to ask a few questions on recommendations for making sure the rock is secure.

1) I've seen ppl suggest using an egg crate on the bottom of the rock (vs. placing directly on glass) as it diffuses pressure of the glass and allows for more stability- Is this generally recommended? Or just an added precaution?

2) I've gotten two little fishies epoxy, but have read threads where ppl will drill and use rods to help support the structure. I'm using BRS reef saver rock and the pieces fit together really well. Can I get away w/ just using the epoxy to stabilize the wobbly bits of rock? I'm planning on making a small arch way between two larger stones. I'm not feeling too excited about the prospect of drilling into my rock...

3) Any good tips on leveling out the tank while I'm here ^_^:?

Thanks again all. You all have been really awesome in answering my bazillion questions, much appreciation from this little newbie reefer :)

Archived