Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help w/New Scape - Overall Look, Coral Placement, etc.

rdck99

I felt my previous scape had too much rock, my coral placement wasn't ideal and a couple pieces were growing into each other, I had used too much of the white epoxy in a few spots, so it showed, and I was also planning on an upgraded light and maybe my first SPS piece, which I didn't have room for with my old scape. So, I did a major renovation on the aquascape to improve upon the issues the old scape had...Here's my old scape:

IMG_1879_zps9041718a.jpg

For my new scape, I removed rock, so there'd be more swimming space, it'd look more minimalistic, and I'd have room for more coral and I think I hit on all those "wants." Below, I have an iPhone picture of the new scape. This was taken very early, so nothing has really opened - the frogspawn, kenya tree, torch, and toadstool will all open and branch much more upward, filling some of the void you see in this picture. I know this is subjective and only my opinion matters, but what are your first impressions? I'm also hoping to get some opinions about a few spots in the photo...

1. This is where I'm thinking my acro SPS frag will go.
  2. I may put a couple more ricordeas around here.
  3. This zoa frag will get moved and I intend to put a small GSP island here.
  4. Unsure about this space...any good ideas?

Yellow Star: should I put a smallish chunk of LR here to kind of hide the joining of the two larger rocks and give this main island a bit more height than the rest?

photo1_zps3523a8c2.jpg

Bumping, because I realized the post I made this morning didn't have the correct photo with the added numbers/stars. Thanks for any thoughts!

Maybe a macro algae at spot 4? Or a gorg? Both of those are cool ways to set your tank apart from the rest

Thanks! Do you think something that's taller (like a gorg) would be okay, considering the MP10 is right there too (you can barely see it in the picture)? I was thinking the piece would need to be smaller/shorter to not be affected by the MP10, but maybe I'm over-thinking it.

I think for 4 a nice gold torch would look great

It's not gold, but maybe I just move the torch that's behind #3 over there, but again, I worry that the MP10 would be too close to something like that.

Thanks! Do you think something that's taller (like a gorg) would be okay, considering the MP10 is right there too (you can barely see it in the picture)? I was thinking the piece would need to be smaller/shorter to not be affected by the MP10, but maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Ah didn't see your power head right there. Good call. Gorgs like high flow but that could be too much. What about a clam? They like Med-high flow.

Are your lights strong enough to support sps?

Ah didn't see your power head right there. Good call. Gorgs like high flow but that could be too much. What about a clam? They like Med-high flow.

Are your lights strong enough to support sps?

Yes, I will soon be getting the Nanobox Duo (it's on order and will hopefully arrive mid-August).

A clam is an interesting thought - can you get them pretty small (3-4")? That also brings me to another thought - with the new light, I'll also be looking at a mini maxi anemone. I know I won't have control over where it decides to attach itself, but maybe I put a small rock there and hope it attaches to it? The location would be perfect for a mini maxi + sexy shrimps or anemone crab.

Any other thoughts on the overall look of the new scape versus the old?

What about the yellow star and perhaps an additional piece of rock to raise that island's overall height?

Another iPhone picture, but you'll get the idea of the space available, with all the coral out/extended. Again, would love to hear feedback on this new scape versus my old, coral placement, and/or adding a chunk of rock where the yellow star is indicated in the above picture (I'm currently leaning towards no more rock).

photo2_zps49aca047.jpg

We have a similar scape, nice tank! where you're #3 is I used to keep a hammer there and found when I removed it, it opened up th space creating two distinct islands. Made the tank look larger. Just got done cleaning so water is a little cloudy but here's mine.

image-80.jpg

Enchelycore808
Yes, I will soon be getting the Nanobox Duo (it's on order and will hopefully arrive mid-August).

A clam is an interesting thought - can you get them pretty small (3-4")? That also brings me to another thought - with the new light, I'll also be looking at a mini maxi anemone. I know I won't have control over where it decides to attach itself, but maybe I put a small rock there and hope it attaches to it? The location would be perfect for a mini maxi + sexy shrimps or anemone crab. Any other thoughts on the overall look of the new scape versus the old?

What about the yellow star and perhaps an additional piece of rock to raise that island's overall height?

Maxi would be a nice addition. Super easy to take care of and the rarely move. In fact, the only time any of mines move is when they are on bare bottom. If they attach to a rock or bed down in the sand they will probably stay there.

Thanks everyone! Please keep opinions/suggestions coming, if you have them!

I continue to be happy with the new scape (though my Duncans are a bit tight in the front/left) and I think I've decided on what I'll be adding (and likely in this order)...mini maxi anemone w/porcelain anemone crab, gsp island, orange short tentacle plate (may not be room), and an acro SPS colony (still unsure which one...researching hasn't begun on this piece yet). Assuming my light is received in mid-August and I can hone the settings in a couple weeks, I'll start adding in the beginning of September.

• 2 weeks later...

You wanting an easy fast growing sps?

Yes sir. I think I mention an acro SPS above, but that's not necessarily true (I'm still learning about the different subspecies). I just want something that branches upward, as opposed to something that has plate/shelf like or encrusting growth. If that makes any sense...

Any birds best will do you right here's a magenta one I have with growth pics over two months.

First day pic

image-33.jpg

One months out

image-53.jpg

I'll try to get a new pic today grown comsiderably more. Diff angle on pics I'll get a new pic from same angle as first.

Much appreciated. You're not the first to suggest the birds nest as the best beginner SPS, so I'll definitely beg giving it a hard look. I'm still a week or so away from my new NanoBox light shipping, I figure I'll be fine-tuning the settings for at least a couple weeks, so I'm still about a month or so away, but I'm trying to do my homework now!

Archived