inTank Media Baskets

Hammer Stinging a Torch

wildbill79

Good evening,

This is my first post and I am new to corals. I started a biocube 14 for my son(he's 2, but loves fish and the ocean) 8 weeks ago. Everything is going great! Over the last 2 weeks I started adding a few corals. I have a ric, a zoa frag and a torch. Yesterday I added a hammer just to the sand to let him acclimate(about 4 inches from the torch) and he immediately inflated and looked really happy. I woke up this morning and it looks like half of one of the heads on the torch is melted! I was under the impression that the hammer would not hurt a torch. The hammer is really small and I didn't think the sweeper would reach that far. Anyone else have anything like this happen?

I have been stalking this forum for a while and finally had something to post about. Pretty psyched!

johnnyriker

I don't believe it stung it. They do reside in the same family Euphyllias and do not sting each other. I have frogspawn and hammers so close they are touching no issues for five months. The other thing is a torch is the most aggressive coral in your tank. It would not be killed by others. It's on the top of the food chain. I could see the hammer getting hurt if anything but I don't even believe that would happen.

JohnRiker

Hammer's and Frogspawn can be near each other. Torches can not be near either. I am surprised the hammer was the winner though but its perfectly possible.

The torch is downstream of the hammer. It is just a guess that this is what happened. It just seemed like a coincidence that this happened the night I added the hammer in close proximity to the torch. I will try to post pictures when I get home tonight.

Ok. I have some pretty bad pics from my phone. Have a dslr, but this will have to work for now.

Before sting(meltdown)

CFE175C2-97B5-4034-95D3-9A825DB8EFF8.jpg

After meltdown

E64B550C-D3A4-4488-913F-A335D6152111.jpg

Hard to see but all of the tentacles on the left side of the the head on the right are melted and the rest of them are retracted and dark. Any ideas what may have happened?

I can't tell what is going on but sometimes they will close up when getting ready to split. I also accidentally melted one awhile back when I dosed alk. I dosed in the sump but I guess it didn't get mixed up enough and blasted the head near the return line. It looked completely dead but there must have been some surviving flesh because over time, it grew right back.

As long as your parameters are okay, it will most likely recover just fine.

It was two heads when I got it. My params are good and I haven't dosed anything except Micro Bacter 7. I literally happened when the night I put the hammer in and the hammer was relatively close. I will try to get better pics.

Archived