Innovative Marine Aquariums

Is having storm functions, cloud cover, etc worth it?

reefinnewb

Is it worth having a light with storm functions. Torn on whether I want to spend the extra money on that functionality.

I spent the extra money for those features because I knew that I'd be second guessing my purchase if I did not. It's better to get what you want the first time than settle for something and end up spending more money in the long run. If you think you could enjoy those features or you're curious about them, I'd bite the bullet and just pay for it.

Maybe you could look up some YouTube videos and see if you like it?

Yea I mean it's cool and I think I'd enjoy it just thinking I could use some money saved for a tank controller. So do the dimmable light plus the reefkeeper lite bundle.

Yea I mean it's cool and I think I'd enjoy it just thinking I could use some money saved for a tank controller. So do the dimmable light plus the reefkeeper lite bundle.

Just because its dimable doesn't mean you can do storms/clouds (unless the light is controllable as well...). If your planning to buy one that doesn't have those functions built in make sure it is compatible. Regardless storm or no storm I would 10000% choose dimable!

I like it and like the "natural" feel of having it so I actually keep my radion programmed with clouds, and storms... I wanna say there is a 40% chance of clouds, and a 10% chance that those clouds will turn into a storm. But I think most just stick to dimming and save the clouds/storms to show off for company lol

Yup totally understood.

With the controller I would do away with a controllable light. I have a parts list for a makers led light I put together. I could first build it without the light controller then get it if I feel like it. Was originally looking at 200ish. Then 300ish.. I only took like 2 years off from the Hobbie and feel like a new all over again. So much has changed!!

Think I'm settling at 250ish. Something to cover 18" cube. Was looking at this.

http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_code=micmol-led

The reef breeders value, or the like.

Yup totally understood. With the controller I would do away with a controllable light. I have a parts list for a makers led light I put together. I could first build it without the light controller then get it if I feel like it. Was originally looking at 200ish. Then 300ish.. I only took like 2 years off from the Hobbie and feel like a new all over again. So much has changed!! Think I'm settling at 250ish. Something to cover 18" cube. Was looking at this. http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_code=micmol-led The reef breeders value, or the like.

Yeah there have been quite a few changes and new technology the last few years so its easy to feel that way, even as someone who hasn't taken a real break lol

Both nice lights, I don't believe either is controllable with a controller to achieve storms/clouds but I could be wrong. I don't know about the one from premium, but I have always heard good things about the reef breeder value fixtures.

MOJOEJOEJOE

Some of the best reef tanks ever built were done pre LED (MH,T5 etc). So i would say its just a cool feature that is not really needed.

EggyShovell

Personally I think that the storm & cloud cover control-ability is a bonus to the functions that I think would be good to have; these being sunrise and sunset.

I think that simulating sunset and sunrise can only be a good thing. It'll give all the little inverts etc and any fish you have time to react and adjust for their routine rather than just startle them. Also, as my pico is in my bedroom I think it'd would be a cool natural type alarm, rather than my mobile phone using noise to wake me!

From my own research the nanobox set up come very highly rated and relatively affordable. Once I get the money together I'll be buying one anyway!

No. When I had my Radion it was kinda neat for 5min. Then randomly if you leave storm on it will seem to go off at the most annoying time and have to plug it in to remove. same with clouds. I would always forget they are on and tank would get dark and I would think there was something wrong with the light. So they got turned off quickly to. They are both a useless feature that add nothing to the health of the tank except make your pocket lighter for stupid add on

EggyShovell

50 bucks is an ok price for a sleek looking sunrise sunset timer/controller and if it has more features which can be switched on or off than all the better...

It's a cool feature,but I use it on the rare occasion mainly to show people lol. It's not a bad feature on the storms especially for how cheap the cotroller is.

Paleoreef103

I'd say sunrise/sunset are generally loved by people. Cloud cover is neat, but not generally a deal breaker. The only use for the storm function is as a party trick. Don't confuse the storm function with the storm LED controller. The Storm/Storm-X LED controller is a very nice piece of equipment.

Like the majority said, sunrise/sunset is a nice feature to have. The clouds and lightning? Meh. My 6 year old asks me to turn on the lightning now and then, and I have recently showed it to family. They weren't all that impressed. Outside of that, I never turn it on.

Edit: the storm controller is a nice, easy to use controller regardless of clouds and lightning.

Archived