Top Shelf Aquatics

EB's [JBJ 12g Nano Cube] De-Rimmed!

Eightbiht

Hey everyone just like everyone else addicted to this hobby, I've got an upgrade in the works! So without further ado...

Here is the new tank:

c0VEpO7.jpg

KfdogBG.jpg

I actually bought it used from a MARSH member, it was previously set-up as freshwater so there is no old salt crust, as well as no old coraline. Practically good as new!

Lighting:
Reef Breeders Nano Lite

Filtration:
[Chamber 1] Planning on making a DIY media rack with filter floss, chemi-pure, and possibly purigen.
[Chamber 2] Cheato? Or even a skimmer?
[Chamber 3] upgrading stock pump to Maxi-Jet 900

For the return nozzle, considering the Hydro FLO rotating deflecting OR the Innovative Marine gadget spin stream.

I'm stuck on what I will be doing for live rock:

If I chose dry rock I can chisel, super glue, really anything to make my scape perfect... with a little elbow grease anyway ;p

But others opinion is to use the best live rock you can get your hands on for the healthiest tank.

I suppose, if I go the live rock only route, It will just force me to become more creative. Or become more selective one which pieces I choose, but I am just rambling at this point.

Also, I've been thinking about going BB... Question 1: Could I add sand to it afterwards if I decide I don't like the look?

Livestock plans:
I would love to get some sticks in here this time, so a skimmer may be needed for cleaner water

% ratio:

40% SPS
40% LPS
20% softies

Fish:
Tailspot Blenny
???
???

Inverts:
Sexy shrimp
Basic CUC

Turns out where I will be staying at off-campus for college I will not be able to hang my nano lite from the ceiling, or make holes in the walls using brackets. So with a solution in mind, I head to home depot.

Here is my shopping list:

One 10 foot piece of 1" PVC
36" of 3/4 " black steel pipe
(4) PVC 90 degree elbows
(2) 1" X 3/4 tee
PVC glue
Hand saw

52vw8dl.jpg

Sorry I didn't take pictures of every step, but it is pretty simple its 4 12" pieces of PVC, and 4 6" pieces.

Here is the final product:

9ojGPOH.jpg

I like the DIY light stand.

My 2 cents on the two rotating attachments- I've had both. The Spinstream sticks out a bit more, but stayed on better. The Hydor FLO liked to fall off, but to me didn't seem as obtrusive. But, the stupid dwarf cerith snails I had always got wedged in it so I kept having to pry them out. But they never broke it. My sharknose goby also flew into it the second the pumps got turned off for a water change lol.

I'm with you on the dry v. live rock debate. I ended up going live, but if you can mock up some scape ideas for the look you want in your tank it might help in selecting suitable pieces when you're at the shop. I wish I'd done that :rolleyes:

I like the DIY light stand.

My 2 cents on the two rotating attachments- I've had both. The Spinstream sticks out a bit more, but stayed on better. The Hydor FLO liked to fall off, but to me didn't seem as obtrusive. But, the stupid dwarf cerith snails I had always got wedged in it so I kept having to pry them out. But they never broke it. My sharknose goby also flew into it the second the pumps got turned off for a water change lol.

I'm with you on the dry v. live rock debate. I ended up going live, but if you can mock up some scape ideas for the look you want in your tank it might help in selecting suitable pieces when you're at the shop. I wish I'd done that :rolleyes:

Did you notice the Hydor FLO reducing the flow? But if it less intrusive, I would rather chose the Hydor... and its cheaper too!

Thanks

Did you notice the Hydor FLO reducing the flow? But if it less intrusive, I would rather chose the Hydor... and its cheaper too!

Thanks

Not significantly, but I had another powerhead (Mp10) as well. Bear in mind, it's not a lot let intrusive, & that was just my opinion based on the shape. For my return pump the Hydo fit right over it without any extra fittings/attachments, where the Spinstream needed a different fitting piece if memory serves, hence it sticking out more.

Alrighty, I fooled around with some dry pukani rock I've had around and I ended up with these two scapes... Tell me how you like em'

6dqUrsU.jpg

cI731jN.jpg

If these look like they have potential, i'll consider. If not, I'm going out and buying some live rock.

Alright, the Maxi Jet and deflector should come in tomorrow...

I'm in the works of making some fresh saltwater but i made a couple more scapes, and I've gotten so indecisive.

TmNoG02.jpg

pRrPz3s.jpg

Thanks for looking

I've been doing more research about my dry rock. Everyone reported with having issues of it leaching PO4, I think I may ditch it and go find some good live rock.

If you do go with the Pukani I really like the second layout as well. People seem to like KP Aquatics liverock if you order online.

Today marks day 1 of the cycle!

So I ditched the Dry rock, just too many doubts. I splurged today and bought some reel reef rock, this rock is awesome. Overall I find it well worth the extra money to go with it. Not only is it 100% pest free, it looks as if its been in an established system for a lifetime... Without further ado, here is what it looks like. I apologize for the water quality, its a little hazy for now.

JxGgufI.jpg

oONdwxk.jpg

Thanks for looking folks!

P.S. Here is my youtube channel if anyone is interested, I will be more active with the video, this first day 1 video isn't too exciting, just me rambling stuff already mentioned in thread..but I will post videos more frequently on both this tank and my 5.5g nano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKNGbDqJHYs

Alrighty, I "fed" the tank last night to try and start a cycle and here were the readings this morning...

PH 8.4

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Salinity 1.023

I was completely surprised about my parameters, I thought for sure I was going to have an ammonia spike, although maybe in the night it had already gone through it... But at the same time, all 13 lbs of the rock was cured so there wouldn't be any die off, Slightly confused here.

I'll be slowing topping off with saltwater until my salinity is around 1.026

Think I should go get a table shrimp and put it in?

It's been about a week with no signs of cycle, using 100% cured live rock made sure there was no big ammonia spike. I added a dwarf cerith snail and a frag of GSP a couple days ago... I can't find the cerith, but the gsp is doing its thing.

Yesterday I added some green and purple monti cap along with some red mushrooms and some nuclear green palys. I already see some polpyp extension, so things are running smooth [ I know it may seem i'm rushing this, and maybe I am but if I see the livestock going downhill I'll just make a quick transfer to my 5.5]. I tried to seed it with a few amphipods and 2 brittle stars, I think I am going to move the stars to my 5.5 they are getting blown around too much in the tank without any sand...

Today I realized my heater is making the water 82 degrees, even when its turn on to the lowest setting... piece of junk. I ordered a new one and it should be in the mail soon. I also added chemi pure elite and some filter floss to my DIY media rack. Thinking about putting some cheato in the second chamber, just need to get another light to turn on at night to keep the Ph swings in control.

I think that is all for now, thanks for reading!

I removed the SPS yesterday, this tank evaporates like a mofo, and with the compartments in the back, Its hard to tell how far to fill it up. So my salinity isn't as stable as I'd like it, as well without a heater I don't want to stress out the corals more than they already are.

So right now there is only the mushrooms and palys and some GSP, they seem to be fine, but definitely not good...

I'm thinking about ordering a tunze nano for an ATO.

The heater will be here tomorrow, so will see what I can do about the salinity in the meantime.

Archived