SaltCritters.com

Help with noisy drain (not at overflow)

HM3105

So I've got my 40b cycling, its been about a week, but I've got a problem with noise on the drain line from the overflow. The noise is basically a splashing sound at the 45 degree elbow which I think is caused by the water falling from the overflow into the sump. It hits the 45 and then flows into spa-flex which goes into a reverse durso in the sump. the overflow is a glass holes 700.

Any thoughts on how to quiet it down or muffle the sound in some way?

I've been Googling for a bit and all the posts just kind of end with "put in a herbie/beananimal" but that won't work because the overflow box is too small.

Thanks

Instead of using a 45° elbow before the spa-flex, maybe try a straight union. Reducing the flow might also help some.

So I'm an idiot...I think the union is causing the problem. Its preventing the flow coming into the drain from being laminar down the walls of the pipe. The union is forcing all that water straight down the center and/or causing it to splash on the 45 degree elbow. Any thoughts on this?

Here is a picture before it was running water. I haven't really made any changes other than getting rid of the blue hose and replacing it with spa-flex.

IMAG0384_zps425ecd8a.jpg

Yeah, you're deff going to have some serious velocity with that setup regardless of the union it will still be loud. I would run the drain pipe so the end is submerged and have a filter sock on there as well. micro bubbles are going to be ridiculous without baffles and a filter sock. What is your reasoning for not directing pipe to where skimmer is?

Yeah, you're deff going to have some serious velocity with that setup regardless of the union it will still be loud. I would run the drain pipe so the end is submerged and have a filter sock on there as well. Didn't see any baffles, micro bubbles are going to be ridiculous without baffles and a filter sock. What is your goal with running this type of sump? As straightforward as sump plumbing seems to be each sump will have to be tweaked. I had a similar issue with my plumbing, but after the filter sock it solved a majority of the issues.

Yeah, you're deff going to have some serious velocity with that setup regardless of the union it will still be loud. I would run the drain pipe so the end is submerged and have a filter sock on there as well. Didn't see any baffles, micro bubbles are going to be ridiculous without baffles and a filter sock. What is your goal with running this type of sump? As straightforward as sump plumbing seems to be each sump will have to be tweaked. I had a similar issue with my plumbing, but after the filter sock it solved a majority of the issues.

The sump has baffles, sorry I wasn't clear on that. Presently the water is going into a reverse durso IN THE SUMP because when I had the return line submerged it was flushing.

As far as why is the pipe so big, I was following the Glass-Holes instructions (I think) and they said to no use anything smaller than 1 1/2"..

Have you tried to turn it down to the weakest setting to see if it's quieter? Then try it with the flow turned down, and drainpipe submerged, maybe you will get it quiet without flushing.

Have you tried to turn it down to the weakest setting to see if it's quieter? Then try it with the flow turned down, and drainpipe submerged, maybe you will get it quiet without flushing.

You know I have not since I switched to spa-flex, i'll give it a try when I get home.

Archived