SaltCritters.com

Jaime's IM Fusion 20- June update

owenj

Thanks all. It was fun while it lasted, but I probably shouldn't have gotten it while I didn't have fish in the tank. I think I'll go back to my RFA, zoas, & gorgs plan :lol:

So sorry about your clam Jaime :( I lost my first clam after only a few weeks as well. It died in minutes right before my eyes. It was a sad thing to see. The nassarius moved in and I had an empty shell in 30 minutes. My husband really wanted one so I tried one more time and I've had luck with my second clam (knock on wood!). I don't think I would have tried a third time though if I had lost that one too.

How exciting that the fish get to come home soon! I'm so glad they all recovered!

I love how they look, but man, that thing was stressful. I was always worrying if it was in the right flow, or if the lighting was enough, if it's siphon looked ok :rolleyes: I should stick with easier stuff :lol:. Glad to hear your clam is doing well. I'll just live vicariously through everyone with happy clams.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

So sorry to hear about your clam. Maybe try a nice tigerstriped derasa. Those look really cool and are a little more hearty.

Sad news, but clam died overnight. It was really gapey and non-reactive to light/shade yesterday, and then this morning it was completely sunken except for its gaping mouth. Not sure what went wrong since it had been looking fine (to my total noob's eye). People aren't kidding when they say clams can go downhill fast. :( No more clammage for me.

In better news, fish get to come back in just a few weeks! :happydance: Survived the 28 day Cupramine treatment and have been poodling around the qt tank. Feeling a bit relieved because I've never qt'd before (I know, I'm bad) and Sharkbait was riddled with spots when they went in. I'm thinking I'm going to give in to the clown envy I have of everyone else and get a pair of clowns for this tank once the qt tank is free. Just need to decide between snowflakes or black ice, because if I drop by the LFS without a pre-determined choice I'll come home with the first pair of clowns I see :lol:

My Duo should ship this week! Yay. And here's a crappy cell phone pic of my ORA Grube's gorg. I was worried about it because it had a run in with the torch a few weeks back before I moved the torch, and it didn't extend polyps for over a week. But it fluffs up pretty much all day/night now and is pretty resilient despite me accidentally bumping it...a lot.

ORA%20Grube%202-25.jpg

Awww...sorry :(. I like Mr. M's suggestion for a derasa! I'd love to have one of those. Maybe in a few months, after fish

are back in, and you feel more confident, you could try again :).

The gorgonian is so pretty! It kinda looks like a kenya tree or similar soft coral!!!!! I love how pink it is :wub:.

So sorry to hear about your clam. Maybe try a nice tigerstriped derasa. Those look really cool and are a little more hearty.

Awww...sorry :(. I like Mr. M's suggestion for a derasa! I'd love to have one of those. Maybe in a few months, after fish

are back in, and you feel more confident, you could try again :).

The gorgonian is so pretty! It kinda looks like a kenya tree or similar soft coral!!!!! I love how pink it is :wub:.

Thank you guys. I love how the derasas look, but I think they get way too big for this size of a tank. I'm leery to try again because of how quickly it went downhill. Maybe. They sure are pretty :lol:

New month, new FTS

FTS%203-1-15.jpg

The OMG plate is in the 10 and doing so-so health-wise. It had started to lose tissue in one spot and that doesn't seem to be getting worse, but it's color is mostly brown and it's not fully inflated :unsure:. Fortunately, the other plates seem to be doing fine.

Red%20plate%203-1.jpg

I moved the vortech over a little bit and turned the flow down. Not sure it's helping the duncans at all, but they also still fully inflate during the day so I guess I'll stop worrying about them tearing away. The ric rock still gets ruffly skirts but so far no one has detached...again. I don't really have low-low flow spots in this tank so I don't think I'll be adding more rics. It's too stressful trying to get them to stay put :lol:

Ric%20rock%203-1.jpg

I randomly added this acro to a coral order to get bumped into a lower tier for shipping ( :lol: ). It's doing better than all other SPS I've had in the past in that it hasn't RTN'd or STN'd on me yet :D. It's also pretty ugly brown, though was sold with the name "purple dream." Hopefully it'll color up when my Duo arrives, which should be this week omgomgomg. Weather permitting, of course.

Acro%203-1.jpg

Closer up shot of the Eunicea gorg

Eunicea%203-1.jpg

And the ORA Grube's gorg. I love how pink it is. This is the color I thought the Morgonian would be.

Grube%203-1.jpg

More gorgs coming this week from Aquascapers :ninja:

The RFA rock has had two runaways. So far they're still staying on this right side rock/s, so that's good. Only Little Red made the trek to the other side and I haven't been able to get him off the rock by the trumpets. More RFAs coming from Aquascapers too! Big Red has stayed out in the light and is taking food when offered. He's starting to get a bit of the blueish color back into his body too.

Right%20rock%203-1.jpg

Serpent star from KPA. You can see him in the reflection of the pic above too. Usually isn't out this much so I got a blurry pic.

Serpent%20star%203-1.jpg

Fish will have been in qt for 8 weeks this Friday. I was going to be good and keep them there for 10 weeks, but I'm wavering.

Looks great! My rics change a lot from one day to the next. Sometimes they look like yours, and then the next day they're all spread out. They definitely like being all cuddled together, though. Feed them and they should be happy :)

Hopefully your little acro will color up! And if not, at least he was "free" (that's what I tell myself when I add to an order to get free shipping :D ), and you can use how he does as a measure of whether your tank is ready for more acros :scarry:

I love my harlequin serpent. I have one in both my tanks. It's weird, but in my 4g tank, I never see more than an arm or two, like yours. But the one in my 10g tank is a little bigger and he comes all the way out sometimes. It's too bad 'cause they're really pretty when you can see all of them!

My little pink tree gorg looks like your grube's!

Lovely pics!

I love the little Grube's gorg. The polyps are teeny tiny!

Looks great! My rics change a lot from one day to the next. Sometimes they look like yours, and then the next day they're all spread out. They definitely like being all cuddled together, though. Feed them and they should be happy :)

Hopefully your little acro will color up! And if not, at least he was "free" (that's what I tell myself when I add to an order to get free shipping :D ), and you can use how he does as a measure of whether your tank is ready for more acros :scarry:

I love my harlequin serpent. I have one in both my tanks. It's weird, but in my 4g tank, I never see more than an arm or two, like yours. But the one in my 10g tank is a little bigger and he comes all the way out sometimes. It's too bad 'cause they're really pretty when you can see all of them!

I have two rics on the left rock with the merlettis and duncans. Originally there were three but one blew off so I glued it further back on the current "ric rock" and so far so good. I can never tell if they're eating. They've never gone for "solid" food when I've tried offering bits of mysis, so now I just spray some of the filter feeder food their way & hope for the best :lol:. Yea, I won't be rushing into sticks anytime soon. Will definitely be using this "freebie" (I like your reasoning!) as the barometer for future purchases. The serpent star likes to hang out under that rock so I tend to see him once a night or every other night. The red bristle star is the one where usually all I see is a pile of legs.

My rics will eat almost anything. I turn off the pumps and put a mysis shrimp or some other solid food near the mouth. Within five minutes, they are slurping it down. The trick is to keep the crabs, snails, and starfish off of them so they get a chance to get going.

If the food ends up anywhere on them, it will stick and they'll get it in their mouths sooner or later. It's pretty funny to see them fold up on themselves to get the food to their mouths :lol:

My red brittle is getting huge. He's at least six inches across now, maybe more :o It may be time for him to go live with someone else :(

I wish I had more room for gorgonians....lucky :D. The orange and purple plate look soooo pretty. So where did

you find the ORA grube gorgonian?

Mr. Microscope

I randomly added this acro to a coral order to get bumped into a lower tier for shipping ( :lol: ). It's doing better than all other SPS I've had in the past in that it hasn't RTN'd or STN'd on me yet :D. It's also pretty ugly brown, though was sold with the name "purple dream." Hopefully it'll color up when my Duo arrives, which should be this week omgomgomg. Weather permitting, of course.

Acro%203-1.jpg

Based on how much those zoas are stretching (pink zippers?), I think you'll need to move that acro into stronger light. Can you move it to the top of your rocks or increase the output of your light? That will probably also help with color.

your plates look amazing!!

great new tank shot, jaime. :)

and yeah, i never got onto the dystopian wagon.

i just can't handle depressing worlds. haha!

(though i guess my thriller is, but it ends on a hopeful note.)

i'm glad that's a YA trend that's over saturated and

passing.

My rics will eat almost anything. I turn off the pumps and put a mysis shrimp or some other solid food near the mouth. Within five minutes, they are slurping it down. The trick is to keep the crabs, snails, and starfish off of them so they get a chance to get going.

If the food ends up anywhere on them, it will stick and they'll get it in their mouths sooner or later. It's pretty funny to see them fold up on themselves to get the food to their mouths :lol:

My red brittle is getting huge. He's at least six inches across now, maybe more :o It may be time for him to go live with someone else :(

Hmm, I guess I'll try spot feeding them next time. The red brittle & the serpent star in here are pretty good about taking handouts and leaving other stuff alone (the nassarius not so much). It's the red brittle in the 10 that may get evicted sooner or later. At 6" yours has got to be reaching max size according to KPA, right? Why can't they stay small and cute!

I wish I had more room for gorgonians....lucky :D. The orange and purple plate look soooo pretty. So where did

you find the ORA grube gorgonian?

The whole, they're peaceful but can't touch anything is going to make placement a little tricky. I only ordered two from Aquascapers so I think I have two spots for them between this tank and the 10 :lol:. I found the ORA Grube's on LiveAquaria, but it's ORA, so you could probably get your LFS to order one if they're an ORA dealer.

Based on how much those zoas are stretching (pink zippers?), I think you'll need to move that acro into stronger light. Can you move it to the top of your rocks or increase the output of your light? That will probably also help with color.

Ok, so weird thing--I've been bumping the light up 5% every week for the last few weeks when I was getting ready for the clam, and the zoas seemed to be reaching more when the light went up? :blink: The Armour of Gods used to be on the sandbed in the corner, stayed nice and compact. I move them to the center and up into higher light, now they're reaching? WTF? When my Duo gets here it's going to be the death orb! But yea, I'm not happy with the zoa placements overall so I may peel some off and do some re-arranging.

your plates look amazing!!

great new tank shot, jaime. :)

and yeah, i never got onto the dystopian wagon.

i just can't handle depressing worlds. haha!

(though i guess my thriller is, but it ends on a hopeful note.)

i'm glad that's a YA trend that's over saturated and

passing.

Thanks Cindy. I'm glad at least these plates are doing well...knock on wood. I can see why the dystopian theme is popular, but it's way over-saturated. I'm wondering what the next trendy theme will be :lol:. What's the title of your first book? I'll add it to my list :D

it's Si1ver Ph0enix! :)

it's the first novel i wrote, so not perfect, but

i'm still proud of it. the sequel is better though. haha

found my voice and writing legs more by the second novel.

fairytale retellings are always popular in YA, perhaps

even in adult SFF. looking at YA LEAD titles, i think publishers

are taking a chance on more traditional fantasy as a trend.

(twilight, hunger games, divergent, etc. were all lead titles.)

even in adult SFF. looking at least titles, i think publishers

You've been wish-listed :) I swear I will read it sometime this year :lol:. I'm a fan of fairy tales & myths, especially if they aren't too "Disney-fied." A lot of them are pretty dark or sad when they're not being prettied up for kids.

You've been wish-listed :) I swear I will read it sometime this year :lol:. I'm a fan of fairy tales & myths, especially if they aren't too "Disney-fied." A lot of them are pretty dark or sad when they're not being prettied up for kids.

mine isn't disney. haha!

and thanks!

even in adult SFF. looking at YA LEAD titles, i think publishers

(twilight, hunger games, divergent, etc. were all lead titles.)

I love your website! Very inspirational. You need to update your About page and add reef-keeping to your likes :D.

I love your website! Very inspirational. You need to update your About page and add reef-keeping to your likes :D.

:lol:

you are SO right! i will have to do that, gena.

Agreed! Your website is clean, it's easy to navigate, and cheery. Love the design.

:lol:

you are SO right! i will have to do that, gena.

Haha, I saw the change! Reef-keeping fantasy authors. It's a thing :P

Agreed! Your website is clean, it's easy to navigate, and cheery. Love the design.

Maybe I should start writing. I need a new creative outlet :).

thank you! and yes, i totally updated my about page with

the updated reef keeping hobby note. :lol:

Becoming a star actress isn't creative enough? :lol:

right? :happydance:

The Duo has landed! This thing is so bright B) and hits the corners so much better than the Maxspect did.

FTS

FTS%203-7.jpg

Pics aren't great and I didn't clean the glass beforehand so there will be fuzzy, algae-y patches :lol:

The plates. OMG is still barely clinging to life in the 10g but not looking great. Happily, these guys are still kicking along.

Plates%203-7.jpg

A weird middleish shot. You can see one of the new Eco-Gorgs from Aquascapers in the back. I think it's the orange spiny one. Andromeda Vice zoas on the left, not a great pic though. Hoping they color up a bit more. They're probably not in as much flow as they'd like, since AS says to have their skirts be ruffling. But they're not closed up either, so for now I'll leave them be. Hoping to tame the other reaching zoas with the new light too.

Midi%20shot%203-7.jpg

A bad angle of the RFA rock, but it shows most of them.

RFAs%203-7.jpg

Closeup of one of the new ones--the pearly lime zebra. I have a lemon-lime zebra too up by the freebie tan and yellow one in the hole. My white zebra is still on the back of the top rock, out of view. Sigh :rolleyes:

Pearly%20lime%20zebra%20RFA%203-7.jpg

Gorgs. Got a purple candelabra Eco-Gorg to try and be like Kimber :lol: (and others). It started losing flesh on two tips, but doesn't appear to be losing any more so hopefully it has stopped. There's still a bit of flesh at the top of the right hand tip so I don't want to cut off the bare stick part yet.

Gorgs%203-7.jpg

Dendros ate like pigs today. As always.

Dendros%203-7.jpg

And, you might have noticed the fish are back in the tank. I made it 8 weeks and 1 day :lol:. But, that's because the QT had to be cleared out for...omgomgomg

Clowns%20in%20QT%203-7.jpg

LFS got 4 black ice clowns in a few days ago so I was like...FATE! No names yet...LFS also said they'd request a green-banded and two masked gobies for me in the next shipment. fingerscrossed

Mr. Microscope

The Duo has landed! This thing is so bright B) and hits the corners so much better than the Maxspect did.

FTS

FTS%203-7.jpg

And, you might have noticed the fish are back in the tank. I made it 8 weeks and 1 day :lol:. But, that's because the QT had to be cleared out for... omgomgomg

Clowns%20in%20QT%203-7.jpg

LFS got 4 black ice clowns in a few days ago so I was like...FATE! No names yet...LFS also said they'd request a green-banded and two masked gobies for me in the next shipment. fingerscrossed

Congrats on the new light!

Holy bananas! Those clowns are utterly brilliant! Looking forward to more on their development.

Archived