Coral Vue Hydros

Jaime's IM Fusion 20- June update

owenj

Three separate conversations???? I didn't even know LOL.

I leave my moonlight (1%) going all night long. It's never pitch black in my tank.

I'd say the good outweighs the bad :D.

Lol, well 3 between the different threads :P

Maybe I'll try going back to 1% at night. Everything usually closes up at night when it's dark. Wonder if they like having a "break" or not :blink:

Busy weekend coming up with family stuff every day, but it should be fun. I'm hoping the cube ships on time. It's supposed to be done on Thursday based on the timeframe they quoted me, but didn't answer my question about whether it's on schedule when I was discussing some plumbing add ons. I've heard the seller can be really flaky about deadlines, but I knew that going in so I'm not holding my breath.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, well 3 between the different threads :P

Maybe I'll try going back to 1% at night. Everything usually closes up at night when it's dark. Wonder if they like having a "break" or not :blink:

Busy weekend coming up with family stuff every day, but it should be fun. I'm hoping the cube ships on time. It's supposed to be done on Thursday based on the timeframe they quoted me, but didn't answer my question about whether it's on schedule when I was discussing some plumbing add ons. I've heard the seller can be really flaky about deadlines, but I knew that going in so I'm not holding my breath.

Oh ok...gotchya :).

Not sure...I've often wondered that about it not being pitch black ever.

Oh ok...gotchya :).

Not sure...I've often wondered that about it not being pitch black ever.

Yea, I'm not sure if it's good or bad for it to be dark-dark. I'm guessing that in nature it's not pitch black either because of moonlight, plus most of the stuff in my tank hasn't been in "nature" in generations (or whatever the fragging equivalent is) :lol:

Looks like you have some nice Blastos going there!

Thanks! I've got a few more that I haven't gotten pics of yet :ninja: but at this point I'm pretty much set. I want to get the stock green wellsi from Unique Corals at some point but the tank needs a rest period after all this furious spending.

I'm really inspired by your tank to try going "filter-less" and just use the Aquaclear to hold the probes & be another form of flow. I've got too much sand in right now to feel comfortable attempting it now, but it's in mind for the future.

Blasto's and acans are some of my favorite corals. Use to have both in my last nano. Also a big fan of ricordia, a few in your tank wouldmaddmeven more color. Keep up with the pics, and the updates. It's great watching aquarium systems mature and become a thriving beautiful reef.

Nano sapiens

I'm really inspired by your tank to try going "filter-less" and just use the Aquaclear to hold the probes & be another form of flow. I've got too much sand in right now to feel comfortable attempting it now, but it's in mind for the future.

Ummm, I don't have an Aquaclear, so maybe you have mixed up my tank with someone elses? My tank's heater, return pump and thermometer are just sitting in the rear chambers of my 12g AIO.

6+ years 'filterless'. I think the method has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt :)

Blasto's and acans are some of my favorite corals. Use to have both in my last nano. Also a big fan of ricordia, a few in your tank wouldmaddmeven more color. Keep up with the pics, and the updates. It's great watching aquarium systems mature and become a thriving beautiful reef.

I love them too! Really fascinated by my plate too. I'm tempted to get some rics at some point but not sure where they'll go.

Ummm, I don't have an Aquaclear, so maybe you have mixed up my tank with someone elses? My tank's heater, return pump and thermometer are just sitting in the rear chambers of my 12g AIO.

6+ years 'filterless'. I think the method has been proven beyong a reasonable doubt :)

I know, I meant use the Aquaclear for water movement rather than as a filter-filter (using floss and carbon atm). It'd be more of an homage than a replica :lol:. I'm tempted to move over to an AIO like the Nuvo 16 or 20 because the hardware in this tank sticks out, but I finally have the flow the way I want it.

Got a freebie tiny RFA in my order from Cherry Corals but it's gone MIA :(. I put them in the tank before lunch yesterday, hung around to make sure it was staying attached to a frag plug and not getting blown away in the flow, and when I left it was opening up and looked fine. Came back and it's gone. I don't see it anywhere, but don't want to rip the tank apart looking for it since in theory it can walk around to wherever it wants. It's not stuck to any of the intake grates on the pumps, and it looked too big to get sucked up the AC's intake strainer.

But, the water is very cloudy despite a 30% water change yesterday and change of filter floss. Did another small water change even though water is testing at 0 for ammonia and nitrite, 5ish (I can't read the color strip well) for nitrate, and running some carbon just to be safe. Fish got a light feeding and the tank is going to be left alone for the next 2 days as hubby and I are going out for our 3yr anniversary :happydance: and then we have family stuff every day this weekend. Pics on Sunday!

Nano sapiens

I know, I meant use the Aquaclear for water movement rather than as a filter-filter (using floss and carbon atm). It'd be more of an homage than a replica :lol:. I'm tempted to move over to an AIO like the Nuvo 16 or 20 because the hardware in this tank sticks out, but I finally have the flow the way I want it.

I see, you were talking about your Aquaclear :)

People sometimes dump on AIOs, but one great thing they have going for them is that nearly everything can be hidden behind the false wall.

I love them too! Really fascinated by my plate too. I'm tempted to get some rics at some point but not sure where they'll go.

Got a freebie tiny RFA in my order from Cherry Corals but it's gone MIA :(. I put them in the tank before lunch yesterday, hung around to make sure it was staying attached to a frag plug and not getting blown away in the flow, and when I left it was opening up and looked fine. Came back and it's gone. I don't see it anywhere, but don't want to rip the tank apart looking for it since in theory it can walk around to wherever it wants. It's not stuck to any of the intake grates on the pumps, and it looked too big to get sucked up the AC's intake strainer.

But, the water is very cloudy despite a 30% water change yesterday and change of filter floss. Did another small water change even though water is testing at 0 for ammonia and nitrite, 5ish (I can't read the color strip well) for nitrate, and running some carbon just to be safe. Fish got a light feeding and the tank is going to be left alone for the next 2 days as hubby and I are going out for our 3yr anniversary :happydance: and then we have family stuff every day this weekend. Pics on Sunday!

Happy Anniversary!!!!!! We have our 19 year coming up in November...sure doesn't feel that long :).

I bet the RFA turns up for you. They are so hardy and they definitely like to move around a tank!

I see, you were talking about your Aquaclear :)

People sometimes dump on AIOs, but one great thing they have going for them is that nearly everything can be hidden behind the false wall.

I'm being more and more tempted to switch to an AIO now that one of my pumps is acting up :lol:. I do like the advantage of hiding all the equipment behind the wall, and since I don't run a sump the conversion would be pretty easy.

Happy Anniversary!!!!!! We have our 19 year coming up in November...sure doesn't feel that long :).

I bet the RFA turns up for you. They are so hardy and they definitely like to move around a tank!

The RFA did turn up! It was attached completely under the plug I had initially tried to set it on. It's not migrating across the sand bed.

No pics since I'm in class...but soon!

The RFA did turn up! It was attached completely under the plug I had initially tried to set it on. It's not migrating across the sand bed.

No pics since I'm in class...but soon!

:happydance:

Looking forward to seeing the new stuff :D.

I had one go from one side of my Nuvo 8 gal to the other - underneath a large rock my Damsel had been digging under.. You never know what there guys will do..

Some pics, finally! They're not very sharp since I was trying to take them without flash and my camera didn't like that very much.

Big news--I'm switching this tank over to the new IM Fusion 20 in a few weeks. Not psyched about the hardware placement and flow in the current tank, so I'm going to an AIO to clean it up and will probably fuss with the scape a bit more. Thinking about doing a connected "line of rocks" instead of two separate piles like I have now. I'd inquired about an IM Nuvo 16 at my LFS and they said they were only getting in the 20s now, so I decided to take the plunge.

Still no word on the cube <_<. Was supposed to have shipped this week, and the maker hasn't responded to my follow up emails. Thinking once 30 days since payment hits (next week) I'll get a bit more persistent about getting an answer. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since it's MACNA & a holiday weekend.

The "Blasto Rock"

Blastorock8-28.jpg

New red wellsis. I love red blastos, not sure why, but there's just something about them and that simple beauty :lol:

Redwellsi8-28.jpg

Orange wellsis with a dark inner rim

Orangewellsis8-28.jpg

Pink(ish) rim wellsis. Color has been progressively getting more pink.

PinkRimBlastos8-28.jpg

White rim wellsi. This is a ginormous polyp!

Whiterimblasto8-28.jpg

Speckled wellsi

SpeckledBlasto8-28.jpg

The Plate

Plate8-28.jpg

And a bit of whimsy for the weekend. This is why I need a lid on all my tanks :lol: Thinking I'll need to investigate something stronger than the mesh top the Fusion 20 comes with to avoid wet cats...been there, done that. Beth and her tank, and the two minions (Cogwheel on left, Juniper on right) in their place.

CatsandFish.jpg

congrats on the fusion 20L!

Thanks, so excited for it.

Ditto! Sooooo cool :).

Are the other kitties waiting their turn for a drink? :lol:

Your blastos are :wub:.

The other two don't drink out of it that much, but Cogwheel likes to watch the fish and tweak out. <3 the blastos, not so much my meh photography skills :lol:

Sweet looking plate too!

Thanks! I love the plate. Definitely getting more in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Update! Some changes coming in the next few weeks. I'm upgrading to a IM Fusion 20 in a couple weeks (or whenever it comes into stock at my LFS). Looking forward to cleaning up the scape and hardware situation.

My custom cube didn't turn out the way I wanted, so I'm calling it a wash and getting a PicO 20g instead. Based on the lead time listed on the website I'm guessing it'll be here around the same time as the Fusion 20. That'll be one big tank changing day :lol:

The bad news first. Lost my yellow blastos and not really sure why; they just started receding & died off. I tried moving them to lower light/flow and it didn't make a difference. Now the Diablos and the orange/blue rim ones aren't extending as nicely as they used to, though not as badly was the yellows did. I moved the diablos down onto the sand bed and dialed the lights at the peak time point down a bit on the blue channel. They're doing ok...at times their extension is better, and most of the polyps ate when offered food today. They aren't gaping, which the yellows did, so I'm hoping whatever is wrong will sort itself out.

Water params were all good when I checked yesterday: Ammonia/Nitrite 0, Nitrate <5, Ca 430, Alk 10. Didn't check mag or phosphorous. You can see the Diablos partially extending here and the orange/blues in the background.

Blastos9-12.jpg

Rest of the blasto rock. The red merlettis seem to like this spot better and are putting out new polyps at the base. The purple/green blasto wellsi has one polyp that's fine, but the other never wants to open.

Blastos39-12.jpg

The speckly blasto looks like it wants to split off and become two polyps. Not sure if blastos do that or not.

Blastos29-12.jpg

The other B. merletti polyp. Started out as a single polyp when I got it at the end of July, but you can see all the new polyps coming up at its base.

Supermanmerletti9-12.jpg

Blurred shot of some acans. I'm hoping the yellowish rim on the right-hand colony comes back. They're in pretty low light right now, may move them once the 20 comes.

Acans9-12.jpg

The RFAs I got from Cherry Corals a few weeks ago. There's the little one I though was lost!

RFA9-12.jpg

Other RFAs. The green one moved all the way around the rock to the front and seems to have settled midway down.

RFAs9-12.jpg

Still waiting on the new tanks to finalize placement for everyone. I think nearly all the blastos will be moving to the cube. The one thing that bothers me about Tug is that he steals food out of the corals mouths, and some of the blastos eat really slow. I saw him pull mysis from the Diablos and the orange/blues, so I'm wondering if he might have damaged them and that's why they're being touchy. Everyone else seems to be doing pretty well, plus the growth on the merlettis (& duncan has 2 new heads coming in) makes me think the tank itself is doing alright.

The RFA's are awesome but I love the acans. I almost bought some today, but I went with some mixed zoas. I am a sucker for zoas. How about a FTS.

The bad news first. Lost my yellow blastos and not really sure why; they just started receding & died off. I tried moving them to lower light/flow and it didn't make a difference. Now the Diablos and the orange/blue rim ones aren't extending as nicely as they used to, though not as badly was the yellows did. I moved the diablos down onto the sand bed and dialed the lights at the peak time point down a bit on the blue channel. They're doing ok...at times their extension is better, and most of the polyps ate when offered food today. They aren't gaping, which the yellows did, so I'm hoping whatever is wrong will sort itself out.

I'm not sure you should feel too bad about the yellow ones, they look exactly like the one I got from a seller on Ebay. Mine also has not done well, it never seemed to expand and contract like my others and then began losing flesh and gaping. I moved it under an overhang but now it has this weird gray fleshy growth on it. It started at one end and traveled diagonally across the face and is now starting across at another angle. I am seriously doubting whether it is really a Blasto given how it looks & behaves and am wondering if its not splitting or something??? Coincidently, I am also running a filterless tank, if it is a blasto, maybe it is used to more pristine water and doesn't appreciate our 'dirty' tanks like the others do :)

This is mine shortly after I got it, pretty sure its the same as the ones your talking about:

C028B39B-6214-44F4-848A-5FAFD114018B_zps

The RFA's are awesome but I love the acans. I almost bought some today, but I went with some mixed zoas. I am a sucker for zoas. How about a FTS.

Yea, I love acans too. They supplement my blasto addiction because they come in such different color combos :lol:. I have another frag of acans & my first zoas ever coming late next week :happydance:

No FTS right now, corals everywhere randomly on the ground :lol:. Took the branching rocks & some of the smaller chunks I'd thrown in there out to seed some dry rock I picked up for the new tanks when they get here.

I'm not sure you should feel too bad about the yellow ones, they look exactly like the one I got from a seller on Ebay. Mine also has not done well, it never seemed to expand and contract like my others and then began losing flesh and gaping. I moved it under an overhang but now it has this weird gray fleshy growth on it. It started at one end and traveled diagonally across the face and is now starting across at another angle. I am seriously doubting whether it is really a Blasto given how it looks & behaves and am wondering if its not splitting or something??? Coincidently, I am also running a filterless tank, if it is a blasto, maybe it is used to more pristine water and doesn't appreciate our 'dirty' tanks like the others do :)

This is mine shortly after I got it, pretty sure its the same as the ones your talking about:

C028B39B-6214-44F4-848A-5FAFD114018B_zps

Yea, I'll bet we got ours from the same ebay seller. I've bought from him in the past with mixed results, same now so I won't be buying from him again. My other blasto is doing well, but looks nothing like the WYSIWYG picture. No surprise there as he shoots under extremely blue lights. I hope yours makes it.

sorry to hear about the blastos problems! I just got a new red blasto from Ebay. Now you have me worried...was yours from Woo's Aquatic?

Nope, Donovan's reef. I don't wanna bash them, what I got looked good when it arrived but I agree that his pics are over saturated or something. I haven't bought from Woo's myself, but I've heard good things.

Polarcollision

I had no idea blastos came in so many color morphs. The huge speckled ones on the sand are my favorites. I have a small colony of solid red ones that I like better than acans because they don't turn orange. Cool theme for a tank - they're going to keep looking better and better as they grow in too.

Archived