SaltCritters.com

Kimberbee's Peaceful Little Ocean

kimberbee

I went and picked up a 29 gallon BioCube last night.

It was not as hard to take down and set up as I thought it would be.

Stock pump, stock lights (though one ballast for a CFL light is out so it's not working), included sand, rock, and a couple of critters.

Last night we just dumped everything in to get it up and running:

10385421_10100740152350957_7419641371531

This morning I re-scaped the rock. Discovered I have 3 snails, 2 hermits, GSP (towards the back, so you can't see it from this angle), a dying toadstool mushroom (bottom left, his top fell off in the move), and two other corals I can't identify yet (center-ish and bottom right):

10347798_10100740152355947_8146238827947

AND AN URCHIN!!

10393938_10100740152360937_6366482489521

Tomorrow I'll test the water after letting it all settle a bit and do a water change to siphon out some of the junk that's currently settling on the sand.

SO EXCITED!

... and two other corals I can't identify yet (center-ish and bottom right

Looks like they might be a couple of finger leather corals.

I did about an 8 gallon water change last night. And by that I mean, my BF did the water change for me while I watched and learned. He services tanks for businesses, so he explained everything he was doing and testing. All the parameters tested great - silly me didn't keep the results, but I will in the future.

He did make me clean the algae off the glass, then poked fun at me for not doing the best job. Hey - FIRST TIME TRYING!

Keeping my current rockscape for now, so I don't have any new pictures. It all looks the same, just slightly cleaner.

A few little guys came out of the rocks, so I currently have 4 snails and 3 hermits. Though I might get a few more snails and hermits tonight.

Trying to decide when my first fish should be...

Trying to decide when my first fish should be...

Make sure that everything is stable for at least a week straight before adding anything. Sounds like your BF will be a good resource for you.

Sounds like your BF will be a good resource for you.

Definitely!!

He fixed/upgraded my lighting last night. Took out the CFL's and added two Panorama Pro LED strips (both white/blue). Also put everything on a timer, so the Panoramas are on during the day, and the blue stock LEDs come on at night.

I've been carefully monitoring the temperature all week. I have one wall a/c unit in the living room where the tank is, and until now, I only ran it when the outside temp was forecast to be 85 or higher (because IME they suck electricity). I've been leaving the a/c on at 75, and the tank fluctuates between 77.5 and 79. I'm not really sure what else I can do to keep the temp more steady, or if this is normal/acceptable.

I plan to test my parameters sometime this weekend, and maybe go get a new coral or two, if all looks good.

I'm also eyeing a pair of black and white ocellaris clowns. They are teeny and so adorable!

Pics when I can get my camera and my computer to cooperate with each other...

I've been carefully monitoring the temperature all week. I have one wall a/c unit in the living room where the tank is, and until now, I only ran it when the outside temp was forecast to be 85 or higher (because IME they suck electricity). I've been leaving the a/c on at 75, and the tank fluctuates between 77.5 and 79. I'm not really sure what else I can do to keep the temp more steady, or if this is normal/acceptable.

You should really have a heater (even in the summer). It will maintain temps much better than trying to manage room temps (cheaper too). Raise the AC's thermostat to 78° F and see how high your tank's temp gets. If it stays under 84°, then set your tank's temp 2° less than the highest it got. This way you maintain safe tank temps within 2°, while saving money on your AC.

You should really have a heater (even in the summer). It will maintain temps much better than trying to manage room temps (cheaper too). Raise the AC's thermostat to 78° F and see how high your tank's temp gets. If it stays under 84°, then set your tank's temp 2° less than the highest it got. This way you maintain safe tank temps within 2°, while saving money on your AC.

Makes sense. I do have a heater, but I figured in the summer I wouldn't need it. I'll play with the a/c and tank temps the next few days to see what works.

I have 4 thermometers in the living room, since I recently moved and I'm still getting used to the a/c settings and efficiency. Also have 2 in the tank cause I wanted to make sure they were accurate. So I'm checking 6 thermometers every morning and evening - talk about overkill...

chicagoreef

Welcome to the site! Though with your BF it seems you have a good source of knowledge and advice. See if you can contract him to maintain your aquarium!

Welcome to the site! Though with your BF it seems you have a good source of knowledge and advice. See if you can contract him to maintain your aquarium!

I pretty much have! I keep telling him to show me what to do and I'll learn it, but he ends up doing it himself.

Pretty sure when I get home later, there will be a new coral popped up in my tank... :rolleyes:

Archived