Innovative Marine Aquariums

Drama's 125 build progress (build progress)

Dramad1

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well tank is on hold again! Life sucks 4 sure. Big blow out at the house. No more this week. Funny how things can take a dive for the worse so quick. Hope to get through it and resume build soon. I feel horrible atm. Ahhh need to think need some time. Sorry fellas. When life gets back in order I will return. Till then happy holidays

Happy holidays man! And nothing wrong with taking your time on this build, it looks like something you and the family will be able to enjoy for many many years so no reason to rush it! We look forward to the updates after the 1st of the year! Until then keep your head up and hope everything works out for the best!

Thanks for the support. Things are calming down but the tank is a no no for now. Not sure what started it all but in the end the tank build was to blame. Spent the rest of my afternoon trying to make things right and hanging lights and decor with my kids.

Happy holidays again.

Take soon out of the equation brotha. No tank is worth alienating family. Wait until she's cool again before you screw with it any more...

Happy Holidays!

• 3 weeks later...

Well holidays have passed, have the day off, wife's at work, I'm bored time to get busy on the build again.

Few updates and questions.

So I have all of equip in most of the wiring has been consolidated and ready to be plugged in. Going through a check list and knocking things out. It seems like after I knock a few items off the list, I think of a few new items to go on the list.

My check list now after a lot of things being knocked off.

*shim and level tank and stand (will check when doing leak test)

*connect power ( everything is ran just need to plug into dj strips and then plug these in, plan to have lights on there own strip)

*water test and fine tune gate valves and return pump

* glue flex pvc to stand pipes entering pump (not sure if I should glue them or just dry fit) just for easy access.

*ato bucket until I can find or build a fancy one (money's tight atm), possibly use 4.3g micro reefs tank for now until I find something or just go with a 5 gal jug? Planned to make a fuge out of the micro reefs tank in the future.

*rock scape (work on dry rock some more,ay change complete layout from what I organ ally planned)

*mount doser pump, find location, hook up, dosing containers. ( figure this can go last as it won't be required immediately )

*radi rms shims ( seems like they are leaning slightly forward on my rimmed tank, plan to add a piece of rubber or plastic shim to make more vertical, I have the clamps as tight as I feel comfortable with right now. I don't want to risk cracking the tank but they are very tight)

*reef link set up ( need to get everything plugged in before doing this )

* seal syphon break a Lil better

* clean out boxes and left over stuff

* pick up a mixing barrel

* clean out water storage container and start making water

That's it before it's wet ( I think )...

Today I fixed the lines on the reactor, pretty much replaced the aquarium tubing for the thicker plastic tubing. I also made a few risers for my skimmer and pump, cut some egg crate for the bottom of tank as well as cut some egg crate to act as a fish catcher on my over flow. Now I need to plug in all my equip, tidy up the wiring and label all the switches then...... bring in the hose for a leak test/ system start and tune, not sure if I will get to this final step today but hopefully by the end of the week I will have leak tested and drained the whole system.

Few pics of new stuff done

20141231_121603_zpsnfrfwizq.jpg

Making some risers for the skimmer

20150101_112605_zpsjvk1ovvd.jpg

Overflow catch screen

20150102_120001_zpspfchfqn3.jpg

And installed

20150102_120316_zpsolza8n6x.jpg

Need to take more pics of wiring and sump area. That's all for now, I'm back to working on it.. more updates to come

Looks good drama exciting man

What are you using for salt Red Sea?

For intial start up I'm going with rscp but plan to switch to tropic Marin or 3ven rs blue bucket if I can find it locally

glad you are back at it... its coming together nicely

Thanks, glad to get back to working on it.

Is it weird for me to be nervous about leak testing and equipment check? I'm scared to fill this thing up!

For intial start up I'm going with rscp but plan to switch to tropic Marin or 3ven rs blue bucket if I can find it locally

Thanks, glad to get back to working on it.

Is it weird for me to be nervous about leak testing and equipment check? I'm scared to fill this thing up!

not wierd at all, but I did leak test mine over a wood floor... and wasn't too worried for some reason.

Spiderguardnano

awesome dude ill be using red sea also i need to buy a brute trash can tonight to mix water

i have no clue how i am bringing 40g of rodi from aw to my house lol

dude any new pics of the scape?

it's looking great!

we're stressed from two weeks of holiday

too. can't wait till everyone goes back to school and work. :P

hhaa!

Thank you.

And yeah tell me about it, kids return to school Monday :), I return to work as well :(, holidays have passed - thank god! I had some major stress issues going on right before x mass, glad to be over it now and moving forward.

Small update, not much was accomplished this afternoon ha ha, I blame it on my Boyz for sucking me into there video games gta and cod advanced war lol good times. I did manage to use a hundred zip ties to get these risers built, what a pita.

20150102_195339_zpsg9xosr2f.jpg

Played with the wiring a bit, ran out of those lil cable tacks

20150102_195556_zpsjr7gx0zw.jpg

And mounted the rw15 Controllers on either side of the stand. I wanted them both on one side but the cord wasn't long enough. I hope they are not to far apart to cause sync issues

20150102_195611_zpslyaeyujd.jpg

That's all I was able to get before my kids sucked me into there world. Seems like time just flew by sitting in front of that damn tv lol. More to come, need to re-up on wiring fasteners and coffee.

Today not much was accomplished. Spent all day trying to tidy up the wires but kept being interrupted from people stopping by. I just now finished up zip tying and labeling everything. I ended up having to remove the dual reactor cause it was to high up and close to my dj powerstrips. I did not want to chance having water getting to close to the control center. I think I may just ditch the dual reactor and go for a few individual reactors instead.

Well we have power! I couldn't resist flipping the switch on the radions. Here they are with the wide angle lens installed, seems like plenty of spread but we will see after I get water and rock in the tank, I plan to pick up one more regardless but the 2 should be fine for a lil bit.

20150103_203724_zps2wdxu89d.jpg

After looking at my check list only one thing got knocked off but I added 2 new items. Ha ha ha

Just finished sitting on echotechs website for 3 hours.

Setting up my reef link and programming my lights. When I went to sync lighting schedule, it would freeze and get stuck in refresh mode. I download the app on my phone and had to program them this way.

I played around with some of the presets and scared the crap out of my boys. They passed by the tank and I would start a preset from outside the house. They thought it was a ghost. Ha ha

Anyone have any advice or lead me in the right direction as far as learning how to navigate and program the radions as well as my mp10s on 2 separate tanks? I haven't a clue what I'm doing here. Currently have the radions on a reef radiance preset with a max 35% intensity with a 3 week acclimation period, on @ 10:30am and off at 7pm. Need to import mp10s but would like to do so on 2 separate tanks. seems simple but can find how to create 2 other tanks.

Also, I kind of jumped the gun as far as setting up the reef link and programming the lights as my tank is yet to be wet yet. If I disconnect the power to the radions will I have to re sync and reprogram everything?

I apologize if these are dumb question, I have never had radions before nor messed with any of the echosmart live programming. Any help/advise would be much appreciated, thanks in advance fellas

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates,

I decided to go a lil crazy on equip. I was messing with an old cell phone to use as a Web cam via ecosmartlive. I didn't like the look of the old phone hanging on the wall, plus I had issues with connecting and being disconnected, so I picked up a drop cam. Plan to try to get it hooked up this weekend along with a few other things.

20150111_114810_zpsovakkvru.jpg

I also went for the gold and got a few single reactors. Gonna ditch the dual reactor for now and run 2 individual reactors, I feel this is the better choice for now as I will be able to have more control. Hooking these up as well this weekend and going to try and get the apex set up and set up fusion. I'm wondering about having the apex run off the WiFi network I have set up and if I'm going to need anything special to hook it all up, will it work with my reef link? Hmmm

20150114_164401_zpsuxfclcdj.jpg

Also picked up a probe holder, ato container and dosing container. Still waiting for the ato and dosing containers to arrive.

20150109_163802_zpsnqucjkny.jpg

If I can get the apex all dialed in with fusion no problem, then leak test and begin filling will happen as well this weekend. I'm going to be real busy this weekend.. can't wait to get this tank up and running.

In the next couple weeks I plan to possibly pick up a skimmer, only because I'm questioning how well this aqua euro skimmer will do and it fits really tight in my sump...

Shoot I'm late for work, I'll keep everyone posted

Hah! I have a DCPro too. I use them all over the place at work (I'm the IT manager), so got one for my tank so I can watch my fishies while at work.

I may have to install a big screen in my office just to show that. ;)

Fusion account created, but I'm having issues updating firmware. It keeps asking for username and password over and over. I emailed neptune but unfortunately they seem to only be open m-f.

Well my tank is not wet yet but I started the setup on my apex via hooking it up to my computer with ethernet cable. I'm at the point now where I am supposed to transfer apex over to the tank and calibrate the probes... my tank is not wet yet, I know I jumped the gun but I wanted to get the set up started with my computer as I plan to run the apex via wifi, so I wanted to get the intial set up started.

So I have a question. Can I just unplug everything and get it all mounted in my tanks stand now? Status lights on apex are green.

My computer will not allow me to shutdown because it is still trying to update via apex flash and continues to ask for apex authentication, tech support is closed. Here is a pic of what I see, give me a sec

Did you make sure to do a wired flash of the firmware?

I have it hooked up via ethernet cable. I would hit cancel and the update progress would increase by a few % then it would request username and password again. I would enter it and then it would just pop up again, so I hit cancel and the update progress would increase again by a few more %. I tried to close everything and clear cache then start over but it would not let me close apex flash so I ended up cancelling over and over until it hit 100% then I refreshed the apex. Still did not upload the new firmware, but I was able to close apex flash. I disconnected from my desktop and am currently working on a mounting board and browsing the neptune forum for similar problems other users may have encountered. Lots and lots of pages to read. I'm hoping to hear back from cs Monday and maybe they can log into my computer and help me figure this out. I was able to get fusion set up, but I still need to set up the equip and probs. This will have to wait until this dang tank is wet.

After I figure out this mounting board, I'm going to plumb in the new reactors and hose test the system, then drain and start making water. I'm kinda being lazy right now and chilling on my couch. Ha ha

Did you make sure the Apex is at 192.168.2.11 as it says in the image? Usually local addresses would start with 192.168.0 or 192.168.1, but starting at 192.168.2.??? would be a funky setup but it is possible if that's the way the router is setup.

I will look into this, I never thought about checking the ip address. I have my router piggy backing my cable modem. What I thought was strange, was that my desktop did not notify me that I had a new device hooked up, I figured it was because I was hooked in through ethernet cable and not usb. I'm going to try again right now.

Okay so I have tried again and session keeps being timed out.

After restarting the controller and then checking ip address, it keeps switching addresses. The first time I check it this is what comes up,

20150117_145637_zpsrn9tsv1g.jpg

Then I check the display on the apexflash and this is what comes up

20150117_150819_zpsfogwrhnx.jpg

So I then hit the restart on the apex display under network setting and now they both match.

20150117_150250_zpskki9beah.jpg.

Thinking this was the issue, I go to update firmware and it times out. So I remove the device and restart fon the apex display, now it is showing a completely different ip address and requesting my username and password over and over. Wifi is turned off as recommended. Hmmm

Archived