Pod Your Reef

Drama's 125 build progress (build progress)

Dramad1

Looking good man your build is going to be sick just like jada on sd reefs

Also noticed your have a pic now sick lol

Thanks, I spend my whole 3 days off working on this build and doing wc on my other tanks. Lots of work just getting this far and still a long way to go.

I was messing around on my desktop the other day and figured I would add something in for a pic. I was going to throw a total drama one in but op'd for the drama D.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea behind matching your return pumps flow to the skimmer is that the skimmer will get all the water from the overflow before it is sucked out of the sump back to the tank without being processed. Its a pretty easy thing to do, just find out the flowrate on the skimmer and buy a return that matches it after headloss is factored in.

Thank you, the way you wrote it out makes it sound so easy, I think I was over thinking it. My skimmer has a sedra 5000 so ill have to figure out the flow rate for that and find what works best. Leaning towatds an internal pump but am not set and an external pump could be an option. But I may just do the internal so I dont have to worry about leaks.

Nxt on the list is figuring the return and sump layout/ order some acrylic for a bubble trap and maybe a lil fuge. I have a massive 7" sock holder that I need to modify to accept two more 1 1/2" drains for a total of 3. Should be interesting

Thank you, the way you wrote it out makes it sound so easy, I think I was over thinking it. My skimmer has a sedra 5000 so ill have to figure out the flow rate for that and find what works best. Leaning towatds an internal pump but am not set and an external pump could be an option. But I may just do the internal so I dont have to worry about leaks.

Nxt on the list is figuring the return and sump layout/ order some acrylic for a bubble trap and maybe a lil fuge. I have a massive 7" sock holder that I need to modify to accept two more 1 1/2" drains for a total of 3. Should be interesting

My suggestion is to keep the gph of your return lower than what that pumps rated at (500gph) although since it is a needlewheel its not actually moving the 500gph. At about 4ft of head not including whatever 90* fittings or valves you put in an eheim 1260 matches it at about 500gph. I dont think the 1250 is really going to float your boat at 280 gph but thats the next lowest eheim model. I am suggesting those just because they are pretty much the gold standard when it comes to internal pumps.

Right on thanks for the advice. Origanally was looking at the 1262 but thats @ 900gph, I will have a gate valve on my main drain so I could adjust flow into sump if needed. Thoughts?

NorthGaHillbilly

Im really digging your build, I can appreciate the Kreg machine used for your stand build.

I have a used sicce as my return, Ive been running it for 4 or 5 months, its yet to get loud, but its still newer. I really like it, but plan on trying out a DC return on my next build

Thanks for checking it out^^^^^ the kreg jig is awesome, my wife wants me to make all kinds of stuff now. Possibilities are endless and you can really make some cool stuff, super easy to use as well.

Another thing i need to consider with my return pump is I plan to run a dual reactor inline with my plumbing for carbon and gfo. Thinking of picking up a brs dual reactor. I forgot to mention this earlier.

I am in talks with a fellow reefer on rc with a similar build and he has pretty much the same set up minus a larger sump and dif skimmer and he is running a mag18. Seems like way more flow than I would need. How would I calculate the flow through the reactor?, seems difficult to me because the way you can adjust the flow for dif media.(ball or gate valves to adjust flow?) Would running the reactor on separate return be a better idea? I figured I would just tap into my plumbing and save myself from having to buy another pump. I would hate to get to small a return and have to buy another. 1262, mag18, 1260, sicce 5.0???? Lol sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, just trying to understand what I'm doing here and what I would need and whats to much. Thanks for the help and checking out my build.

Thanks for checking it out^^^^^ the kreg jig is awesome, my wife wants me to make all kinds of stuff now. Possibilities are endless and you can really make some cool stuff, super easy to use as well.

Another thing i need to consider with my return pump is I plan to run a dual reactor inline with my plumbing for carbon and gfo. Thinking of picking up a brs dual reactor. I forgot to mention this earlier.

I am in talks with a fellow reefer on rc with a similar build and he has pretty much the same set up minus a larger sump and dif skimmer and he is running a mag18. Seems like way more flow than I would need. How would I calculate the flow through the reactor?, seems difficult to me because the way you can adjust the flow for dif media.(ball or gate valves to adjust flow?) Would running the reactor on separate return be a better idea? I figured I would just tap into my plumbing and save myself from having to buy another pump. I would hate to get to small a return and have to buy another. 1262, mag18, 1260, sicce 5.0???? Lol sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, just trying to understand what I'm doing here and what I would need and whats to much. Thanks for the help and checking out my build.

You would run a t off of your return line to run the reactors with a globe valve to control the flow through it, you get into needing a manifold territory as you get into more reactors aswell. The other thing with reactors is you have to calculate the flow needed in them and add it to the return pumps requirements. Bigger pumps = more heat in tank and energy spent hence why complicated systems tend to use external pumps.

Overflow looks really cool. I'd be a dead man for taking over the kitchen counters like that. I run a smaller system, but I really like my DC pump. You can get the jebao 12000 or whatever brand floats your boat and dial it in close to the flow you need with the controller then use a gate valve to fine tune. If you add more reactors, dial up more flow as needed. They also don't seem to have that 60hz hum that many AC pod have no matter how quiet they are.

When you say globe valve, you meant globe valve right? Have to look into this. Hey; thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Spyda, you talking a stand for the new pico I seen you just picked up? I can make it happen but you would have to decide what you wanted. I have built 2 stands and a few end table so far with it. Wife wants cabinets for the kitchen. I need to invest in a router to make some sick trim and edges.

Overflow looks really cool. I'd be a dead man for taking over the kitchen counters like that. I run a smaller system, but I really like my DC pump. You can get the jebao 12000 or whatever brand floats your boat and dial it in close to the flow you need with the controller then use a gate valve to fine tune. If you add more reactors, dial up more flow as needed. They also don't seem to have that 60hz hum that many AC pod have no matter how quiet they are.

Thanks for checking out the thread and helping out.

I assembled the overflow when the wife was at work and convinced her it needed to stay there for a few days. Today she had enough and I had to move it.it is sitting in the tank now awaiting assembly to tank.

I have heard mixed reviews about the jabeo returns and them not lasting. My local forum has a group buy I got in on and a lot of locals were picking up these dc12000, I just got a few rw15's but was tempted to pick one up. Figured I would wait to hear there reviews about them and really figure what I would need flow wise first before jumping the gun. I like that you can control the flow but am curious if this is damaging to the pump or lifespan if dialed down. Would be really handy though for adjustablity when adding reactors or other equip.

That overflow is sweet! Wish I would have seen this before going the route I did. Ordering the glass and putting it together was quite the task, still need to attach to tank. With that set up I could have just drilled 2 holes and ran my plumbing then done. Sweet find and cant wait to see your future build. I love how the hobby is evolving and equipment is being simplified for the hobbyist

That overflow is sweet! Wish I would have seen this before going the route I did. Ordering the glass and putting it together was quite the task, still need to attach to tank. With that set up I could have just drilled 2 holes and ran my plumbing then done. Sweet find and cant wait to see your future build. I love how the hobby is evolving and equipment is being simplified for the hobbyist

a globe valve performs the same function as say a gate valve just a different action, a globe valve looks like a ball with a hole drilled through it the ball being inside the pipe, when you rotate the handle connected to it it restricts flow as the hole isn't directly lined up with the pipe anymore. Its a pretty simple design and I find they don't fail often.

The DC pumps use PWM like dimming LEDs so the life span would theoretically be increased by running at less than full blast. I can't give any pump recommendations as I have only had my one wave line 4000. I am say that it has worked flawlessly and silently though

Few things I did today after my doc appointment and work.

Installed doors on stand and did some minor touch up painting. Need to go shop for some handles for the doors as well as some of those magnetic catches. Also picked up my propeller pumps from a local group buy.

Pics:

20140905_164125_zpshsrlnpj9.jpg

20140905_164051_zpsm95uvwkx.jpg

20140905_164145_zps7rdpafre.jpg

Local reefer dropped off my acrylic today. Going to start figuring out my sump compartments/baffles this weekend. Think I will measure 5× and glue once. Lol I want it to be as perfect as possible.

Pics

20140909_164241_zpsbls31rta.jpg

and now curing

IMG_20140909_172000_zpsivf21lwr.jpg

So I'm mocking up my sump. I poorly thought it out when it comes to my acrylic. My measurements are a 1/4" off. Fml. No idea how I managed that but I have a fix. I picked up a sheet of 1/8th inch acrylic and plan to cut 1/2" wide strips and weld onto each side of baffle like a (T), then weld into place.

But this is where I poorly thought out the sump build again. My skimmer is so dang big, it takes up half my sump.

Pics

20140914_103652_zpsmo9hgzik.jpg

20140914_103759_zpswjx1cbi6.jpg

20140914_103838_zps4lgdptbp.jpg

So my original plan was for a small fuge on the opposite side of sump with bubble trap next to it, then return in middle and another bubble trap before skimmer. Not enough room after sock holder and skimmer is placed in the sump. So now I'm wondering if I shouLd just put a bubble trap on the opposite side leaving enough room for the return on the op side of bub trap. Return will be a jabeo12000 so I can adjust the flow when necessary if I add reactors etc.

I have 16" after the skimmer if I push it hard up to the sock holder. Looking for suggestions and ideas. I have a 4g microreefs tank that I broke down and was thinking I could use it as an external fuge and have it sit higher than the sump and then gravity feed into sump. I dont know and need some advice. Total noob when it comes to a sumped system. I have been browsing photos online and there seems to be so many styles and ways to set one up. I just want a nice set up, lol. I feel like a fish with no water right now!

Here is what I wanted but not quite enough area imo. Blue sheets are 1/8" blue is just protective film, actually clear sheets. Need to trim or sand the baffles down like an 1mm to fit square, anyone tell me how I can do this with out messing the acrylic up?

20140914_113534_zpscjfh2jvf.jpg

Here it is with just a bub trap before the return and only 1 piece of 1/8" acrylic on one side, gives me less than 1mm gap on op side. Leaning this route but I am not sure if the gap is to large to seal correctly as I was under the impression that the baffle should fit snuggly with out bowing the sump. Kinda want to put the 1/8" sheet on both sides and trim down the baffle a hair to fit snug. I of course will cut the 1/8" sheet as wide as the bub trap and save the rest for some thing else.

20140914_114401_zpsqoyl5jvj.jpg

thoughts anyone?

Dammit drama you just can't win this sump battle.

Why don't you just get a custom sump with everything you want?

Money.

I wanted a trigger sump but they are expensive. By the time im done messing with this sump I prob will have spent enough to have just bought the trigger sump.

I dont know. I like the idea of making it my own by building one myself. Plus I feel like I learn more of what I can actually do with the sump as far a dif chambers and holders, fuge etc etc. Make me more knowledgeable I suppose. I like diy projects. Just been having bad luck with this dam sump

I would think if you just get a palm sander you could sand them really quickly to fit.

I have one, just was not sure if sanding them would melt the edges. fine grade sand paper or something more course like an 80grit? Thanks for the reply

I have one, just was not sure if sanding them would melt the edges. fine grade sand paper or something more course like an 80grit? Thanks for the reply

If it were me, I would use a fine grain sand paper. Then again, I don't always do things the right way lol.

***DIsclaimer*** Arkayology is not morally or financially responsible for the outcome of any DIY project that has been influenced by his amateur advice in any way, shape, or form :P

Archived