ReefCleaners.org

Drama's 125 build progress (build progress)

Dramad1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New arrival update.

Picked up a few new fish this last weekend. I picked out a juvenile tommi tang and with caution a copper banded butterfly.

Hopefully I haven't doomed the butterfly. I know they are very popular but only seem to do well for about a month for most before taking a turn for the worst. They are susceptible to infections and parisites/diseases and finicky eaters and they do not like fluxuations in tank parameters. Many have sucess with them and I'm hoping to be one of those who do as well.

I spotted him/her a few weeks ago at the local fish store. I checked in on it 3 or 4 times, watched it feed every time, talked with care takers about it, inspected it closely compared to 2 others etc etc. After 2 1/2 weeks, I snagged it up. I chanced it and did not quarintine like I should have and acclimated over an hour and put in the 125g. So far seems healthy and was out and about in with in a few hours. It is still skittish a bit if you walk up on the tank to quickly, but soon returns to pecking at the rock work and swimming well with my other fish.

I'm working on a feeding rock for him/her right now. It will pretty much be a piece of small rock (softball size) that I will rub in bits of clams,brine,blood worms or what ever with a piece of netting or mesh over it and rubber banded and dropped in the tank. We will see if this works. Over time I hope to be able to hand feed it. Right now he/her seems to be eating bits and pieces that get stuck on live rock when I broadcast feed the tank. Looks very healthy as well. I'm crossing my fingers that I can care for it correctly, if not I'm hoping the lfs will accept it back.

Crap cell pic of copper band

20150520_164846_zpsj9tbsumj.jpg

I will try and snap a better one after he /she becomes more comfortable with me around the tank.

Also picked up a juvenile bristle tooth tommi tang. Same as the copperbanded, I didn't not quarintine,:(. I know..I know I'm chancing it here. But like the copperband, I observed it for a few weeks before purchase. I'm surprised no one picked it up. Very cool fish imo and with what seems to be a cool personality. He and the copperband are best buds all ready. All is well and he appears very healthy and eating well. I'm feeding a mixture of meaty foods and marine vegs seaweed, nori sheets and he grazes the rock work all day. He is getting along well with other tank mates and is an awesome fish. I'd like to add another tang but not sure if it's a good idea being I already introduced him to the tank. I think I would have had to introduce them at the same time. Don't know, need some input please about this.

Enough talk, another crappy cell pic

20150520_164854_zpslgvthjgo.jpg

In other news, the purple berry milli did not make it. Not sure what happened. One day it was fine and looked healthy. It lost a lil color but still noticeably purplish blue, the next day gone...bleached out and or rtn'd?? Figure my tank was still not mature enough yet and may have experience a mini algae/diatom bloom, don't know just speculation at this point. Still a bummer though cause I like millies. All other frags are doing well. No fish loses and appear happy and healthy. I'm currently changing 30g every 2 weeks sometimes 2 1/2. I'm changing out my sock every 3 days or so and running about 2 cups of rox carbon in a reactor and running about a cup of rowa in a media bag and between floss before last baffle before return in sump. I probably plan to just switch back to the dual reactor and run rowa in one and carbon in the other in place of the phosban150s. I was having issues with grains of the rox as well as the rowa getting past the plate and sponge in the 150 reactor. I've tried several things and still was having issues with it. The dual reactor I have has the individual filters that you add the media to. Hoping it solves the issue, plus I will run it inline with my return and do away with the extra pump I the sump. Thoughts and comments welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for checking out the build. :)

Cencalfishguy56

New arrival update.

Picked up a few new fish this last weekend. I picked out a juvenile tommi tang and with caution a copper banded butterfly.

Hopefully I haven't doomed the butterfly. I know they are very popular but only seem to do well for about a month for most before taking a turn for the worst. They are susceptible to infections and parisites/diseases and finicky eaters and they do not like fluxuations in tank parameters. Many have sucess with them and I'm hoping to be one of those who do as well.

I spotted him/her a few weeks ago at the local fish store. I checked in on it 3 or 4 times, watched it feed every time, talked with care takers about it, inspected it closely compared to 2 others etc etc. After 2 1/2 weeks, I snagged it up. I chanced it and did not quarintine like I should have and acclimated over an hour and put in the 125g. So far seems healthy and was out and about in with in a few hours. It is still skittish a bit if you walk up on the tank to quickly, but soon returns to pecking at the rock work and swimming well with my other fish.

I'm working on a feeding rock for him/her right now. It will pretty much be a piece of small rock (softball size) that I will rub in bits of clams,brine,blood worms or what ever with a piece of netting or mesh over it and rubber banded and dropped in the tank. We will see if this works. Over time I hope to be able to hand feed it. Right now he/her seems to be eating bits and pieces that get stuck on live rock when I broadcast feed the tank. Looks very healthy as well. I'm crossing my fingers that I can care for it correctly, if not I'm hoping the lfs will accept it back.

Crap cell pic of copper band

20150520_164846_zpsj9tbsumj.jpg

I will try and snap a better one after he /she becomes more comfortable with me around the tank.

Also picked up a juvenile bristle tooth tommi tang. Same as the copperbanded, I didn't not quarintine,:(. I know..I know I'm chancing it here. But like the copperband, I observed it for a few weeks before purchase. I'm surprised no one picked it up. Very cool fish imo and with what seems to be a cool personality. He and the copperband are best buds all ready. All is well and he appears very healthy and eating well. I'm feeding a mixture of meaty foods and marine vegs seaweed, nori sheets and he grazes the rock work all day. He is getting along well with other tank mates and is an awesome fish. I'd like to add another tang but not sure if it's a good idea being I already introduced him to the tank. I think I would have had to introduce them at the same time. Don't know, need some input please about this.

Enough talk, another crappy cell pic

20150520_164854_zpslgvthjgo.jpg

In other news, the purple berry milli did not make it. Not sure what happened. One day it was fine and looked healthy. It lost a lil color but still noticeably purplish blue, the next day gone...bleached out and or rtn'd?? Figure my tank was still not mature enough yet and may have experience a mini algae/diatom bloom, don't know just speculation at this point. Still a bummer though cause I like millies. All other frags are doing well. No fish loses and appear happy and healthy. I'm currently changing 30g every 2 weeks sometimes 2 1/2. I'm changing out my sock every 3 days or so and running about 2 cups of rox carbon in a reactor and running about a cup of rowa in a media bag and between floss before last baffle before return in sump. I probably plan to just switch back to the dual reactor and run rowa in one and carbon in the other in place of the phosban150s. I was having issues with grains of the rox as well as the rowa getting past the plate and sponge in the 150 reactor. I've tried several things and still was having issues with it. The dual reactor I have has the individual filters that you add the media to. Hoping it solves the issue, plus I will run it inline with my return and do away with the extra pump I the sump. Thoughts and comments welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for checking out the build. :)

I see you chose a tomini tang awesome fish! One of my favorites

FTS

20150521_155512_zpsw3q5paot.jpg

I have some macro algae in the display that came in on a piece of tonga branch that is going crazy right now, can't think of the name at the moment, grape something or something grape.

Both new arrivals doing well and swimming out and about, very cool to see them in with the other fish. Watching my tank now instead of tv.

Thank you,

Here is a semi close up of one of the branches, it is starting to take off across the sand bed and in behind the middle batch of rock.

20150521_161334_zpswwjppexo.jpg

Just picked up the new IM gourmet feeder. So far fish are just ignoring it. It has a strong magnet but feel it was a bit over priced for what it is, I was expecting it to be a lil beefy er...not this thin plastic. I feel I could have made it myself. But I still like it, wished it came in a different color other than blue.

20150523_121356_zpsjbjvpssp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tommi and copperband have been eating all my sps, I even caught my designer clown getting in on the action.

35g water change last night and 5g buckets worth of Calera removed

Calapera

Freaking phone and spell check

charnelhouse

Tommi and copperband have been eating all my sps, I even caught my designer clown getting in on the action.

35g water change last night and 5g buckets worth of Calera removed

Calapera

Freaking phone and spell check

Ugh, that sucks. SPS eating fish and caulerpa both. Feed the fish more and the caulerpa less ;)

Easy for me to say, I know. Hope it works out as painlessly as possible.

• 1 month later...

Lil fts update, cell pic from minutes ago

20150813_184210_zpscuzqp5k5.jpg

Not much has changed. Sps are all gone :(.

Softy are doing well. Tank has converted to a fowlr tank with a few softies for now until tank matures a bit more and I have more time to dedicate to a full on mixed reef attempt.

All fish are healthy and looking fat. Tank maintenence consist of topping off the ato every 3-4day, daily glass clean and quick wipe down of system, 35g wc every 2 weeks. Switched from rscp to rc and it took a week before I noticed an improvement and or restored balance to the tank if this makes any sense. I feed a mixture of frozen and live foods daily and change a 7" sock out twice a week. Running rowa and rox in the reactor, algae is non existent.

Just kinda on cruise control with the tank. Not really spending as much time as I have in the past with stocking and testing and fiddling with the equip. I still do my daily maintenence and bi weekly wc as well as equipment upkeep, just not super serious about it atm. Enjoying the tank for a while if you know what I mean.

Some new frags I picked up from asd live sale.

Chalice

20150421_170930_zpsywotvp2z.jpg

I picked one up that was grafted with that same chalice. the other side is green and red. Will has some killer stuff. Your tank looks great!

charnelhouse

Nothing wrong with putting it on cruise control for a while. You worked your ass off getting it set up. Let it settle in and take it slow ;)

Looks great!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow, sup nano reef. Been a while. Lost my account log in info after new phone and lots of car drama as well as life. Unfortunately this tank is now owned by another local reefer. He was in the market, times were tough for a bit and I let it go for way cheap. Dumb move and I miss it pretty bad.

Still have my bc29 mixed reef jumble but my duo just hit some issues today, working on solving the problem now.

Been away for a while and just wanted to drop the news, say hi. Nice to see the same old bunch posting and continuing there awesomeness.

Currently planning out a breeder build for some clowns. Going to be quite a bit of work trying to raise fry and rotifers and keep up with a egg lays and collecting. Lil different side of the hobbies but I think I can do it and want to see what it's all about. Nice change from fowlr and reef tanks in general but more work at the same time.

We'll time to catch up on all I have missed, I'll be browsing around here and there.

Wow, sup nano reef. Been a while. Lost my account log in info after new phone and lots of car drama as well as life. Unfortunately this tank is now owned by another local reefer. He was in the market, times were tough for a bit and I let it go for way cheap. Dumb move and I miss it pretty bad.

Still have my bc29 mixed reef jumble but my duo just hit some issues today, working on solving the problem now.

Been away for a while and just wanted to drop the news, say hi. Nice to see the same old bunch posting and continuing there awesomeness.

Currently planning out a breeder build for some clowns. Going to be quite a bit of work trying to raise fry and rotifers and keep up with a egg lays and collecting. Lil different side of the hobbies but I think I can do it and want to see what it's all about. Nice change from fowlr and reef tanks in general but more work at the same time.

We'll time to catch up on all I have missed, I'll be browsing around here and there.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So sorry to hear that man, hope all is well.

I have a new project brewing just need to decide if and how I should go about it. Project includes 5 tanks (various sizes) plumbed into each other mounted in a custom wall unit <----' or converting my cad tank to a sumped mini and start over fresh and part out the bc29 livestock/corals. My light just took a poo on it and tank and stand need some repairs, all equip needs a soaking....I don't know, fresh start or ditch both ideas and just go full breeder for a new challenge and experience. Just worried it will be to much work to keep up with

Archived