Cultivated Reef

Coral Suggestions for New 10g Tank

generic411

I recently started a 10 gallon tank, and it's really doing nicely. So far, I have about 14lbs of Caribbean live rock and a substrate, an emerald crab, and 6 green striped hermits. I plan on adding a couple of peppermint shrimp, and potentially a couple of fish (the jury is still out on what fish to add, if any). I have two small brain corals, and a quarter sized Xenia that came as hitchhikers with my rock.

The primary life that I want in the tank will be coral and inverts. With that in mind, I am curious what corals you guys might suggest for a tank this size. The lighting I have at the moment is a T5 setup, with lunar LEDs - rated high enough for anything outside of some of the more difficult LPS.

I have had larger and smaller tanks in the past, ranging from as small as 3 gallons all the way up to 150. But, I want the most 'bang for the buck' with the density of corals in this tank. With that in mind, I am thinking of going pretty heavy on zoas and mushrooms, and maybe have two or three 'standout' corals.

As far as filtration and flow, I currently have a basic hang-on-the-back filter. However, I am planning to upgrade filtration and water flow to accommodate the needs of any coral I place in the tank.

So, what cool suggestions do you guys have for making this reef tank crazy awesome?

I have a 10gal and in it I have a bunch of zoas on the ground, a favia some acans a trumpet and I just got a hammor coral a couple days ago that is doing really nice. I think any of those you could go with. Trumpet and acans are super easy the favia and hammor you have to watch out, they will sting other corals if they get to close.

Archived