SaltCritters.com

Adding mechanical filtration. Need help

Spiderguardnano

Spiderguardnano

So I have yet to add any sort of mechanic filtration to my tank and I want to add some now.

Should I be running chemipure elite and Sechem phosguard?

The tank is 7g with 1 fish

I see some algae at time also and also a few bubble algae

I thought chemipure and phosguard were used as chemical filtration? Gonna follow, I really would like to understand how they work as well

You could almost do a 100% water change with a 5 gallon bottle.

Its just as easy to make 5 gallons of salt water as it is to make 1.

If I had a tank that small I would have a protein skimmer and thats about all. Do a 90-100% change a week. Easy Peasy.

Spiderguardnano

You could almost do a 100% water change with a 5 gallon bottle.

Its just as easy to make 5 gallons of salt water as it is to make 1.

If I had a tank that small I would have a protein skimmer and thats about all. Do a 90-100% change a week. Easy Peasy.

So are you suggesting to just do water changes instead of running chemipure or phosguard?

I thought chemipure and phosguard were used as chemical filtration? Gonna follow, I really would like to understand how they work as well

Chemipure is granulated activated carbon, GAC.

Chemipure Elite is the same but with a little bit of granulated ferric oxide, GFO (ie rust).

PhosGuard is mostly aluminum oxide.

Randy Holmes Farley has done experiments that show that PhosGuard releases aluminum into the water to the detriment of corals and inverts.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1602301

It should be known that Holmes-Farley is a chemist, and is co-inventor of a pharmaceutical medication that absorbs/adsorbs phosphate in people with renal failure (ie a competing product, if you will).

So are you suggesting to just do water changes instead of running chemipure or phosguard?

Thats what I would do. But like I said, I would put an overkill protein skimmer on it as well.

Neither of what you mention are considered mechanical filtration. I suppose they do trap some detritus mechanically, nothing to consider them mechanical filters though.

I would use a bag of CPE, or make my own bags of it using ROX carbon and GFO. Mostly because of coral toxins. You can bet if you have corals of different species touching, they are releasing toxins into the water. Carbon does a good job of absorbing those.

All that said, the smallest tank I've run was a 10 gallon refugium. Research Pico Brandon and his stuff, he wrote the book or most of it on picos (1 gallon or less tanks). Its brandon with some numbers on the end, not hard to find with Google.

Archived