Coral Vue Hydros

Need...so...much...water...

Genie382

I feel like this is a silly question, but any recommendations on how where to get enough distilled water to fill a 16 gallon tank? I've checked my lfs and they sell by the gallon, but only have 5 gallon max containers. I also don't fancy the idea of picking up 16 jugs of 1 gallon distilled water. Will I just have to make multiple trips to the lfs store? :(

I just use five gallon bucket buckled in with a towel around the lid in case of leaks. So that's an option... Do you have a friend with a truck by chance?

Polarcollision

It might be a good idea to have enough buckets on hand to hold all the water in your tank at once in case of _____. I picked up 4 at home depot for pretty good price.

Did you ask the LFS if they will let you borrow those 5 gallon jugs?

Like everyone else though, you might want to invest in two of those jugs anyway, for water changes and top off.

Prior to having my first RODI I bought by the gallon... Remember the first filling I bought 20 gallon jugs.

Remember that rock and sand displace water so a 16g tank won't take 16 gallons.

CatfishSoupFTW

I go to a water depot. no RODI unit for my 10 gallon, so I just went in there and bought 54 liters of RO water for 10 bucks. seems fair, and it has lasted me months after my initial 10 gallons of the mix I prepped. then I have a jug with a tap at the end, and I top off with FW every day. :D

Oh! Didn't consider the displacement effect w sand and rocks. Hmm...that'll probably mean about 12 gallons total...not nearly as daunting. I think I'll pick up a big 5 gallon jug from target/lowes.

I would love to get rodi unit, but the whole concept of setting one up, plus cost of unit...I knew reef tanks were pricey but dang...my tank hasn't even touched water and I'm already over budget :/

Oh! Didn't consider the displacement effect w sand and rocks. Hmm...that'll probably mean about 12 gallons total...not nearly as daunting. I think I'll pick up a big 5 gallon jug from target/lowes.

I would love to get rodi unit, but the whole concept of setting one up, plus cost of unit...I knew reef tanks were pricey but dang...my tank hasn't even touched water and I'm already over budget :/

Get a few extra jugs of water just incase. My nuvo 16 took 14 gallons of water because my rock work is pretty minimalistic.

CatfishSoupFTW

yeah my 10 gallon, even with free stuff has been around 4-500 bucks. With a few misake buys in there. lol

I got the BRS Nuvo 16 starter kit, which is apparently all you need to get a reef going. Truthfully it's a good deal, but even resisting adding fun gadgets like ATO or a protein skimmer, certain things you really need to just upgrade on the tank. The media baskets being one and the filtration for it. Plus purchasing all the little bits (electrical strip, buckets for water change, cleaning supplies) it all adds up really quickly. Fortunately I based my initial budget on a bonus check, so not quite in the hole yet ^_^;

I knew reef tanks were pricey but dang...my tank hasn't even touched water and I'm already over budget :/

Typical of a reef setup. Multiply what you think it will cost times 10 and your getting close.

Chandler221

I started my tank 7 months ago and in the first 2 months, I can say I easily dropped 250-300 for just a 10 gallon tank. That was with no coral and one fish!

I just have 2 5 gallon buckets from home depot that I picked up for like 5 bucks each and just use those.

RODI unit and an ATO are pretty much must haves for me. Hauling water and 2x daily top offs get old quick.

T_T

I'm hoping to only have to top off every few days....

T_T

I'm hoping to only have to top off every few days....

If you want to maintain constant SG you will have to top off daily.

::Sigh::

Good thing I'm doing a dry rock cycle...it's gonna be at least a few weeks before the tank sees anything live (thus giving me time to save)...any suggestions on a good ATO for the Nuvo 16?

CatfishSoupFTW

the Tunze 3155 I have heard the whole world speak well of it. The nano version as well, but with the lack of optical sensors, and some other small features, maybe its not worth getting the nano version.

The hydro one seems really cool and sleek but I dont see too many reviews on it. The auto aqua I have heard good things about it as well, minus sometimes the alarm can go off because of a fault that that... isnt a real fault. youtube it, some videos show it.

I dop off about a glass of water a day, which takes me 5 seconds to do. lol 10 gallon set up. But I hear yeah, an ato for me, is a want not a need, but still... lol

I am hoping to hold off on ATO for a bit as well. U can see why it's convenient, but topping off a glass or so a day doesn't seem too unbearable. I can see how it'll be an issue if I were to go on a long trip or something though.

I'm a little bit surprised by the need to do it daily (though it makes sense) as the YouTube vid for this tank from BRS rec only topping off every few days.

I feel like this is a silly question, but any recommendations on how where to get enough distilled water to fill a 16 gallon tank? I've checked my lfs and they sell by the gallon, but only have 5 gallon max containers. I also don't fancy the idea of picking up 16 jugs of 1 gallon distilled water. Will I just have to make multiple trips to the lfs store? :(

You gotta be a pretty big hass to carry more than 5 gallons at a time per hand. Ask your LFS if you can borrow some containers to fill your tank. Might as well buy pre-mixed saltwater from the LFS to fill your tank so you don't have to mix so much for your initial fill.

Fortunately I based my initial budget on a bonus check, so not quite in the hole yet ^_^;

Ahhh, the twice-a-year bonus check! A reefer's best friend!

::Sigh::

Good thing I'm doing a dry rock cycle...it's gonna be at least a few weeks before the tank sees anything live (thus giving me time to save)...any suggestions on a good ATO for the Nuvo 16?

If you want to save $, buy used off other members on the hardware section. It has not let me down yet.

Archived