Pod Your Reef

Blue Damsel sitting in corner

mrkotabear

Just got my new damsel and i don't know if it's stressed but he seems to be just swimming in this corner with the crab, should I be worried?

Tank is about cycled, temp at about 79 degrees, live sand, power filter. Live rock is on it's way.

I acclimated his tank for about an hour. Salinity is at 1.025.

The color has returned to him and he seems to be swimming more around. I'll update if I have anymore problems

My nitrate is basically in the middle if that makes sense so cycled

The crab seems to be doing fine though, I'm thinking the damsel is just stressed. I added a coffe mug for the time being just so I can make him feel a little safer before the rock comes

Basically I bought the damsel just to see if I could monitor a saltwater tank. He keeps going off and on with his color and swimming. I don't know if he's sick or just getting adjusted

My nitrate is basically in the middle if that makes sense so cycled

No it doesn't make sense. It's in the middle of what? What is your nitrate level reading, what's the number? Also why a coffee cup? Don't you have ANY rock in there for it to hide in around and under? I am failing to see how you could be really cycled at all with no rock for the bacteria to live in. What are all your parameters? Sounds like you are doing a fish in cycle so yes the fish is probably sick, stressed, uncomfortable or all of the above.

No it doesn't make sense. It's in the middle of what? What is your nitrate level reading, what's the number? Also why a coffee cup? Don't you have ANY rock in there for it to hide in around and under? I am failing to see how you could be really cycled at all with no rock for the bacteria to live in. What are all your parameters? Sounds like you are doing a fish in cycle so yes the fish is probably sick, stressed, uncomfortable or all of the above.

He has sand in the tank, which can act as a substrate for bacteria to grow on.

However, I agree, what in the bleeping world does "My nitrate is basically in the middle" mean?

• Like 2

Live rock is on it's way? I'm curious, why are you worried about the fish now when obviously you put him in harm's way to begin with? Take the fish back, read more, and in a month or so, when the tank is ready, try again.

MadReefer13

Your gonna put the rock in and start a cycle again. so if the fish doesn't suffer and die now it will be tested again with the rock ...this is why you never put a fish in untail your cycle is complete Not ALMOST there. your being like Hitler and burning the lil guy

I've got a power filter in there. Amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate between 15ppm and 20 ppm. I ordered live rock and it didn't come in time. I don't have any hiding places so I thought he'd be stressed out so I put the coffee mug in. When I woke up at he's acting fine just getting used to the fluorecents. I'm going to return him to the store because of the live rock coming, so basically another little mini cycle. Test my water everyday so on.

The bacteria is living on the little rocks I've got in there right now, and my filter cartridge too. I'm returning the fish today and going to wait another month so I know it's fully cycled.

I was tired last night cause it was 1 am here, so I probably wasn't up to par on what I was saying hahahah.

Also when the fish is returned I will be doing at 25-50% water change just to get rid of anything. Thank you for your guys's help. The reason I wanted one damsel and a clean up crew was because I think having two clownfish in a 10 gallon is mean. So one damsel is okay for me even if they are aggressive. But no I wasn't trying to cycle the tank with my damsel that is very harsh. Never have I done a with fish cycle. I had freshwater for years this is my first saltwater. My bad on the live rock I didn't realize it'd start a mini cycle.

Poor little guy was just stressed out. He's acting perfectly normal today. He also hid from me very well this morning hahahahah. He will still be returned so I can make sure my tank is fully cycled this time with the rock, thank you:)

I mean keeping any fish in a 10 gallon is kinda harmful, but damsels like there territory and it's less bio load for me. I'm not as stupid as I made myself sound last night haha. Probably didn't think it through either.

Snow_Phoenix

Can I be honest? I personally don't think you're ready to tackle marine yet. You need to do a lot more reading and researching first, and even if you're operating on a super-tight budget, there are just some things you can't stinge on such as lighting (I saw your other thread).

Having XX years of FW experience doesn't mean jack in the salty world. Heck, I have 20+ years of FW experience myself. And when I started my very first marine tank back in 2012, I crashed it so badly because I didn't know what I was doing and only came on to forums after a disaster has happened. I have since learnt my lesson. Although my longest lasting tank was only 8-months-old (copper got into the display and wiped out 80% of my corals and some of my fish), I still feel reefing is a learning process.

You need to poke around the forums, read up on old threads, actively ask questions before doing anything if you're not sure of something, and also do plenty of reading on your own. I'm not trying to berate you, but I'm trying to help you. If you really want to delve into this hobby, you need the knowledge to back it up first. It's not like FW where you rely on chemical filtration 100% and can toss any fish in anytime you want. Salty requires tons of patience and observation. -_-

I know it doesn't seem like i know much, but i am getting there haha. I just joined this forum so i could get some more information. The people at my LFS don't seem to know that much, but i know people all over Utah come to the one in my town Bird World, because they seem to be raising there fish right. I've been asking them questions, but i probably rushed it and got too excited putting the little guy in. I got some sand from an established tank into my fish tank so it could cycle a little faster, but it didn't cycle as fast as i thought it would. I will begin to learn more.

Also i guess doing salt water on a budget isn't as much possible as i thought it would be hahah. I'm taking Marine Biology this school year so i hope i will begin to learn more and know what i'm doing with salt water. And as you said i probably could have waited awhile to start this. But again i rushed myself. So after making myself sound like an idiot, i'm sorry for making this post i was too worried about the Damsel but hes not stressed anymore, and now has his own part of the tank. I guess everybody is a beginner at some point though. Saltwater is just a lot more complex than i thought it would be.

Sorry that i probably pissed everyone off last night, i will be more patient. Thank you for everyone's input though. I'm just learning more and more everyday i guess.

• 4 years later...
Ghoastkilla123

Im not underatanding why the first couple replysim not understanding where this turned so hostile vs us all just shareing our personal exspeience and shareing the knowledge of reef keeping