Innovative Marine Aquariums

AquaManta VF14

EggyShovell

EggyShovell

Hiya Folks, I've posted this in the pico club thread but I thought i'd post it here to so that I can keep a record of what my first reef tank goes like!

As I also said, this site is very cool with some great tips and inspiring tanks on it. Well done everyone!

After reading El Fab's fool proof guide to setting up a pico reef I've taken the plunge and turned a FW Aqua Manta VF14, which I'm very familiar, with into a SW Aqua Manta VF14.

15/07/2014 on my desk.

Stock lights (5W LED) & filter (370lph). (For now)

I'm eyeing up the EA iNANO 30 watt LED light system as it can simulate sun up & down as well as looking cool and providing a good amount of light.

I think I'll do the Aquaclear Fuge mod although I can't seem to find the 70 model this side of the Atlantic (UK) as described in El Fab's thread only a 20. Any idea's?

Approx 3kg of live rock. Which I think I'm happy with the placement of although I have tweaked it a little from the photo's below. It's basically covering the filter outlet and heater and piled up in to the back right corner to make an open space in front of it from where it'll be viewed most.

1 " to 1 1/2 " of sand. Didn't get live sand as it is very expensive and only sold in ginormous bags at my LFS so I think that might slow my cycling down a bit whilst the sand becomes 'live' so to speak.

Here are the pics anyway, starting from right to left. Feel free to tell me what you think of my scaping!

IMAG1011.jpg

IMAG1012.jpg

IMAG1013.jpg

I have thought about sticking some chaeto behind the rocks around the filter uptake as a kind of refugium but unsure whether it will work? It'd save having a big container hanging off the back at least!

Already seen a few HH cutting about not Id'd many yet but there are some Brittle Star Fish, Bristle Worms, Spaghetti Worms, Hair Worms & what I think are Cerithium punctatum snails.

It's only day three and I've noticed a few bits of filamentous Algae dotted around but the LR's are cured at the LFS so I'll wait and see if they die off from low nutrients before I start worrying about them.

I've got a picture of the snail in case I'm wrong:

25665b98-1df1-42a6-b734-95afa4f880ea.jpg

Anyway I'll be updating with my parameters etc as time goes by and if I get it half as decent as the ones I've seen on here I'll be well chuffed!

Cheers for looking!

Eggy

EggyShovell

First test just done:

PH 8.0

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 40 ppm

Quite surprised to be onto the Nitrate stage of the cycle already. I will however do more tests this week. I put it down to using well cured live rock.

EggyShovell

The algae is growing fast! Not much of it yet but it is growing noticeably, even since this morning! Also, there are tiny bubbles coming of the LR. I assume this is the Nitrogen being given off by the bacteria??

IMAG1014.jpg

IMAG1015.jpg

Sorry for the crappy images.

Is it time to buy some clean up crew?

EggyShovell

There's a chunky looking Asterina Anomala Star fish climbing all over the back panel of the glass tonight too. All these free critters... I'm well chuffed!!!

EggyShovell

It's 14 litres, but probs only about 10l with all the sand and rock. Also, just retested Nitrates and they are about 30 ppm, so falling already!

I can't make my mind up whether to leave it as it stands for a while longer and keep saving for the new light for or use some of the funds I already have for the light to buy a snail and a crab...

EggyShovell

Yep, I know now. Got a Turbo Snail and a Blue Legged Hermit Crab, who is much smaller then I imagined! He's already cutting about all over the shop. The Turbo Snail hasn't moved much, not so Turbo! I did see a white worm come out from very close to him so dunno whether that might have spooked him a bit.

I also did about 50% water change.

Turbo Snail

http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/lukelovell/media/Reef%20Tank/IMAG1017.jpg.html'>IMAG1017.jpg

Wonky Fish tank!

http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/lukelovell/media/Reef%20Tank/IMAG1016.jpg.html'>IMAG1016.jpg

EggyShovell

That would explain his lack of much movement! TBF it is on a piece of LR which is covered in hair algae so it probs isn't bothered about moving. I'll keep an eye on the new inhabitants and do another water test on thursday to see what effect they have had.

I've been looking at Zoanthids this evening - they are beauts!

EggyShovell

Would the 5 watt white standard LED my tank have work for the usual easy corals?

Don't worry, just thinking ahead!

thesmallerthebetter

without knowing the wattage of the leds its hard to say but if they are all white youll want to consider an upgrade regardless. the whites will wash out any colors on the corals and not really allow you to view the inhabitants to their full potential.

EggyShovell

I'll deffo be upgrading just not sure how long it will be before I have £200 spare for a new light. I'll see if I can find out what wattage the LED's are singularly.

Don't think you need 200 for a light on a tank that small. You can build something for $85 plus shipping at Rapid Led. Look at the BioCube retrofit kits.

you could also cut a round hole in the hood and just get a PAR bulb off ebay pretty cheap. Then just glue a lamp head to the hood.

EggyShovell

I'll look into them. Thing is I like the nanobox kit as it will look decent as well as doing the job, the other two will require me hacking up the hood which will be functional but might not look so good,

EggyShovell

Haha, yep! Thats true!

The snail is devouring the green algae but it's only done about 1 cm square so far, nice clean rock where it's been so far though.

Diatoms are back, think I'll just try and ride it out for a bit and let them run their course

EggyShovell

I think I've killed my snails! I used some aqua putty to stick my live rock together, which clouded the water a bit and both my snails haven't moved since this morning. The blue legged hermit seems ok though. Gutted! First set back!

Archived