Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Simone's Mandarin Manor (Fusion 20) - Moving Madness

Simone

Your tank is so beautiful I hate to see it go. Maybe everyone hates to see it go too. I'm sure the the upgrade will be bigger and better though. I'm actually amazed at how how exquisite 8g can be. Makes me think I am squandering real estate with a 30g and a 36g!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your tank is so beautiful I hate to see it go. Maybe everyone hates to see it go too. I'm sure the the upgrade will be bigger and better though. I'm actually amazed at how how exquisite 8g can be. Makes me think I am squandering real estate with a 30g and a 36g!

Thanks vlangel, I appreciate the kind words!

In most ways, I am very pleased with where the tank is at now. I'm definitely not one for huge aquariums. The main reason I want to upgrade is to give the fish more room but also because I think a little more negative space would be nice aesthetically. I'm a big one for negative space I guess as you can tell by how little rock my tank has now. Having such a small tank really does push you to choose livestock carefully and only buy what you really love, which I think is a fun challenge.

The quality is crappy, but here is a short video of the tank at feeding time.

You must be an artist because we artists are the ones concerned with negative space. I've been thinking of rescaping the 36g for the same reason, to make more negative space. Back when I first worked at a LFS in the 90s reef tanks were all mostly ugly rock walls because the technology wasn't there to do it any other way. Ha ha, my first protein skimmer had an airstone!

Your video is cool but I can see why you want your fish to have more room. They do seem confined.

Moving tanks always sucks, and having the new one ready to go at your next place may make it easier to move everything over, especially if you can get it partially set up beforehand.

But, I feel your pain on wanting to get the IM 20 at that price.

How was that for helpful? :lol:

Polarcollision

Aww, so jealous of your pipefish. What a great addition. Lace coral is stunning too. Your tank just keeps getting more and more beautiful.

If I were in your shoes I would go for the 30 fusion over the 20. The longer swimming space opens up possibilities for pipefish and others that need to stretch their fins. It also provides more options for fish to claim territories. Oh, and more room for cool new livestock while keeping the empty space look and feel.

If you're planning on eventually settling into 30-35 gallons, I'd just go for it in one upgrade. It took about 7 months for the larger tank to stabilize, where the 8 gallon was stable in 3-4. Not sure if that's true across the board but if so, then upgrading twice would prolong living with those challenges.

Also, not sure how far you're moving. The 8 gallon was super easy to move. Just put all the livestock in a 5 gallon bucket with pump and heater plugged into a car transformer. Left water to cover the sand and tank was easy to lift and move. Not sure it would be possible to do the same with this larger tank.

I would stick with the original idea of the 30! Love the pipefish. Always wanted one but never had proper tank environment for them.

SquishyFishy

Pea green with envy! Too sweet for words! I have been looking for spiral wire coral for ages, nobody in my neck of the woods have it and I can't find it online anywhere. I have wanted some Gorgs since I set up the tank. Too scared to do it. Not now, I'll go ahead and order some of that, It will finish off my tank nicely.

I recently obtained my Mandy and she is doing well, She doesn't like anything but live pods so I've been trying to seed my back chamber fuge in the Chaeto back there...don't know, can't tell yet. She was pretty thin from the LFS, but looks like she is slowly filling out. I've tried fish eggs, Coral Frenzy, Mysis and phyto. She hunts a lot and seems happy, the other tank inhabs seem to like her, even though my Gramma is sulking a bit hiding in the rock, I think he's getting used to something prettier than he is :P

It's taken me awhile to post because I'm on a family vacation in Maine right now. Hopefully my tanks will be ok, they are in the hands of several awesome friends who unfortunately don't have salt water experience. fingerscrossed

You must be an artist because we artists are the ones concerned with negative space. I've been thinking of rescaping the 36g for the same reason, to make more negative space. Back when I first worked at a LFS in the 90s reef tanks were all mostly ugly rock walls because the technology wasn't there to do it any other way. Ha ha, my first protein skimmer had an airstone! Your video is cool but I can see why you want your fish to have more room. They do seem confined.

Well not exactly an artist but child of an artist, art history major for my first bachelors, and definite artsy type lol. Yes, my lovely fish definitely deserve more space.

Moving tanks always sucks, and having the new one ready to go at your next place may make it easier to move everything over, especially if you can get it partially set up beforehand.

But, I feel your pain on wanting to get the IM 20 at that price.

How was that for helpful? :lol:

Yes, thanks all opinions are appreciated. :)

Aww, so jealous of your pipefish. What a great addition. Lace coral is stunning too. Your tank just keeps getting more and more beautiful.

If I were in your shoes I would go for the 30 fusion over the 20. The longer swimming space opens up possibilities for pipefish and others that need to stretch their fins. It also provides more options for fish to claim territories. Oh, and more room for cool new livestock while keeping the empty space look and feel.

If you're planning on eventually settling into 30-35 gallons, I'd just go for it in one upgrade. It took about 7 months for the larger tank to stabilize, where the 8 gallon was stable in 3-4. Not sure if that's true across the board but if so, then upgrading twice would prolong living with those challenges.

Also, not sure how far you're moving. The 8 gallon was super easy to move. Just put all the livestock in a 5 gallon bucket with pump and heater plugged into a car transformer. Left water to cover the sand and tank was easy to lift and move. Not sure it would be possible to do the same with this larger tank.

Thank you for your thoughtful response Polar!

I would stick with the original idea of the 30! Love the pipefish. Always wanted one but never had proper tank environment for them.

Thanks, yes I am in love with her, I really hope I can keep her successfully!

Pea green with envy! Too sweet for words! I have been looking for spiral wire coral for ages, nobody in my neck of the woods have it and I can't find it online anywhere. I have wanted some Gorgs since I set up the tank. Too scared to do it. Not now, I'll go ahead and order some of that, It will finish off my tank nicely.

I recently obtained my Mandy and she is doing well, She doesn't like anything but live pods so I've been trying to seed my back chamber fuge in the Chaeto back there...don't know, can't tell yet. She was pretty thin from the LFS, but looks like she is slowly filling out. I've tried fish eggs, Coral Frenzy, Mysis and phyto. She hunts a lot and seems happy, the other tank inhabs seem to like her, even though my Gramma is sulking a bit hiding in the rock, I think he's getting used to something prettier than he is :P

Yeah I lucked out found the spiral coral at Aquatic Collection in Hayward, CA.

With the mandy I would definitely keep trying with the frozen training, maybe try cyclopeeze and try cutting up the mysis. Ova is magic but not available right now. Best bet is probably introduce baby brine shrimp, then mix in frozen, then slowly withdraw the BBS.

The gorgs from KP Aquatics are very hardy, you should definitely try them, just make sure they are getting enough flow so that they wave in the current a bit.

Getting a bigger tank before the move would be a good idea. Getting an AIO would be far easier than a plumbed/sumper version. The size is up to you. The Fusion 20 is really priced well.

Thank you Kat, I'm still trying to decide. Do you mind explaining your rationale? Is it just that the fish need more space ASAP? Getting the Fusion 20 ASAP and then upgrading again when I move is what I'm instinctively leaning towards, but a bunch of people I also respect are advising me otherwise.

saw ur sig in another thread and it really caught my attention. great tank! makes me want to turn my Fluval Spec V into a gorg tank..

Thanks! Yeah love my gorgs!

If you don't know when you can get the 30g then I would go for the 20g until then and make sure to buy equipment that can work on the 30g too. Your current tank is beautiful but an 8g is not really enough room for the fish.

Another idea would be to buy a cheap tank without all the bells and whistles for the fish until you move. That way, the fish get more space and you're not spending $200 on something temporary. In the perfect world, you would just buy the 30g now but that doesn't seem like an option.

As far as AIO vs sump, a sump has a lot of advantages but people still have their reasons for choosing an AIO. That's probably something only you can decide based on your living situation, space, ect.

I agree, with Tamberav's post. If it were me I'd buy a cheap bigger tank to give your buddies more room and buy equipment that can be used on your dream tank.

Thank you for your responses Tamberav and vlangel and everyone who commented, I really appreciate your input.

I have decided to upgrade to the Fusion 20. I know there are cheaper tanks but I think that sticking with another Innovative Marine tank makes sense because all the equipment I have will be compatible with it (skimmer, media basket, media reactor) and any additional stuff I buy for the 20 will be compatible with the Fusion 30 which will likely be my next upgrade. Also the Fusion 20 is reasonably priced for an all in one and I can resell it.

My first big task on the upgrade is to design a stand that my boyfriend will build for me. My bf is a craftsman and welder by profession so he can make me something awesome. We are thinking a steel powder-coated frame with walnut accents. We will make it big enough for the 30 gallon so we don't need to make another one for the next upgrade.

I also need to choose lighting. I have a Nanobox Tide over this tank and I am considering another Nanobox or a Radion xr15 or xr30. If I went with a 30 inch long tank for the final upgrade it seems like I could get away with the xr15 but for 36 inches I would need the xr30. Leaning towards Nanobox though because the hanging options are cleaner and hanging equipment and controller are included. Any opinions?

I am on vacation in Boston right now so I can't get started for a couple of weeks yet. Praying for no aquarium disasters while I am away. My friend assures me that the tanks are fine but it's hard not to worry.

Sounds well thought out so I think your plan makes sense. Sorry, I am a T5 girl so I can't give any input on your lights. I'm sure someone knowledgeable will jump in. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Polarcollision

Thank you for your responses Tamberav and vlangel and everyone who commented, I really appreciate your input.

I have decided to upgrade to the Fusion 20. I know there are cheaper tanks but I think that sticking with another Innovative Marine tank makes sense because all the equipment I have will be compatible with it (skimmer, media basket, media reactor) and any additional stuff I buy for the 20 will be compatible with the Fusion 30 which will likely be my next upgrade. Also the Fusion 20 is reasonably priced for an all in one and I can resell it.

My first big task on the upgrade is to design a stand that my boyfriend will build for me. My bf is a craftsman and welder by profession so he can make me something awesome. We are thinking a steel powder-coated frame with walnut accents. We will make it big enough for the 30 gallon so we don't need to make another one for the next upgrade.

I also need to choose lighting. I have a Nanobox Tide over this tank and I am considering another Nanobox or a Radion xr15 or xr30. If I went with a 30 inch long tank for the final upgrade it seems like I could get away with the xr15 but for 36 inches I would need the xr30. Leaning towards Nanobox though because the hanging options are cleaner and hanging equipment and controller are included. Any opinions?

I am on vacation in Boston right now so I can't get started for a couple of weeks yet. Praying for no aquarium disasters while I am away. My friend assures me that the tanks are fine but it's hard not to worry.

facetime your aquarium! I bet your fish-sitter will be getting an aquarium themselves soon after spending time with yours.

Planning for Fusion 20 Upgrade

• light: Nanobox Duo 12 inch (Not 100% on this, was worried it would not be long enough when I upgrade again to a 30 inch long tank, getting feedback on the Lighting Forum.)
  • flow: Sicce Syncra 1.5 return pump, Tunze 6020, upgrade to Maxspect Gyre if/when a nano size comes out
  • filtration: media basket with filter floss, Polyfilter, Matrix, and Purigen, IM reactor with carbon and GFO, IM Ghost skimmer, refugium (in media basket), live rock and sand
  • stand: custom powder-coated steel and with walnut accents (Designing with my bf.)
  • ATO: Tunze Osmolator Nano
  • heater: Cobalt Neotherm 100
  • dosing: ESV 2 part

Tank Update

Hi guys, got home from my vacation a few days ago. I was gone 12 days and had friends taking care of the tanks who are not experienced with reef keeping so I expected things would not be perfect on my return.

I have a mild hair algae problem in the mandarin tank and there was algae growing on portions of my spiral coral where there had been some tissue missing so I decided to cut that portion off in an attempt to save it. Now it is only about half its original size and thus looks quite sad, hope it will pull through. There was also algae on a portion of the beloved lace coral, this is an NPS coral so I knew it would be a challenge, we'll see what happens now that I am here to do more frequent feedings and water changes.

Everything else is fine in the mandarin tank, the mandarins are plump and I believe the torch is growing as I noticed it is now able to reach out to sting the gorg to its left side (moved the gorg). The mandarins do not seem to mind that I have run out of Ova; they eat seemingly everything offered including newly acquired cyclops from Brine Shrimp Direct and Doc's Eco Eggs.

In the ADA, there is also an an algae problem, some strange algae that grows like it is plastic wrap coating the rock, came on the live rock I bought at my LFS, disappointing. The pipefish is doing fine but unfortunately she is not eating as much frozen food now that Ova is not in the mix. I am going to attempt to get some more from an LFS employee I talked to before I left who said he had part of a pack at home and he wasn't using it. For now she is eating some cyclops and BBS which I am hatching with very little hassle.

The Fun Stuff

I placed the orders for the Fusion 20 and most of the equipment today, including a Sicce Syncra 1.5 pump, refugium light, and new Tunze 6020 pump (to help create non-laminar flow)!

Also, a new buddy is on the way! There was this blue stripe pipefish on Diver's Den today and although it was not sexed, I could tell by the bumps on his snout in the picture that he is clearly a male and so I bought him as a mate for my female in the ADA. I am a little nervous about doubling down on the pipefish as I haven't successfully trained the female onto 100% frozen yet but couldn't resist the opportunity.

I can sympathize with leaving your tank in the hands of someone inexperienced in salt water reefing. I too am about to leave on a 9 day mission trip to Colombia, SA starting Sept. 4th. Its scary even though I have most things automated like ATO, and lights. I will pre-measure the food and I have held off on getting my seahorses until I come home, so I have a whole 30g tank of extra water volume so I hope things are good when I get home Sept. 13th.

O boy, lots of fun stuff to watch for!!!

Yes, indeed! The pipefish will arrive Wednesday and I'll post pictures. Might be awhile before I have anything to show on the tank though as we haven't even started to build the stand yet.

I can sympathize with leaving your tank in the hands of someone inexperienced in salt water reefing. I too am about to leave on a 9 day mission trip to Colombia, SA starting Sept. 4th. Its scary even though I have most things automated like ATO, and lights. I will pre-measure the food and I have held off on getting my seahorses until I come home, so I have a whole 30g tank of extra water volume so I hope things are good when I get home Sept. 13th.

Yes it's quite stressful but sounds like you have planned well. Have a great trip!

Also, a new buddy is on the way! There was this blue stripe pipefish on Diver's Den today and although it was not sexed, I could tell by the bumps on his snout in the picture that he is clearly a male and so I bought him as a mate for my female in the ADA. I am a little nervous about doubling down on the pipefish as I haven't successfully trained the female onto 100% frozen yet but couldn't resist the opportunity.

First off, your aquarium is beautiful. I'm a huge fan of gorgonians and sponges and love the way you placed them in such a small system. You will have tons of fun aquascaping your new Fusion 20. I had 2 pipefish in my Nuvo 24 and have 1 female in my New Fusion 30. If the new male is eating frozen, it should really help the other learn to eat it much quicker. You have quite the eye for kinetic art and I look forward to following your next build. Good luck!

Archived