ReefCleaners.org

Simone's Mandarin Manor (Fusion 20) - Moving Madness

Simone

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that pipefish is sooo cool looking! how hard is it to care for it? i read they are very difficult.

Well I only have experience with this one fish but she is definitely proving harder to train than both my mandarins. I've got her to the point where she eats about 3 pieces of mysis and some cyclopeeze but I still hatch brine shrimp for her because I'm not sure that's enough. She loved Ova but I ran out. She is a really cute fish, pretty active and sometimes comes up to the glass to hang out with me. There is a great issue of Coral Magazine that talks about caring for different types of pipefish, it's online if you're interested.

Everyone is looking great. It looks so empty compared to the 8g! But I'll bet having all that space is nice, & tempting to fill :lol:. I can't remember & am feeling lazy, are you/what ATO are you using?

Everyone is looking great. It looks so empty compared to the 8g! But I'll bet having all that space is nice, & tempting to fill :lol:. I can't remember & am feeling lazy, are you/what ATO are you using?

I know, it feels so sparse, I kind of like it but am excited to fill it in too. Too bad I'm unemployed and my fiancé is supporting me while I look for my first nursing job so I can't spend ridiculous amounts of money on corals ;)

I don't have an ATO system on this tank yet. I've been researching it and I think I'm going to go with the Hydor one with an Avast diaphragm pump. Like the pump because it can run dry without hurting it, you can adjust the flow rate, and there is no risk of creating a syphon. Also the pump doesn't have to fit in the water container.

I know, it feels so sparse, I kind of like it but am excited to fill it in too. Too bad I'm unemployed and my fiancé is supporting me while I look for my first nursing job so I can't spend ridiculous amounts of money on corals ;)

I don't have an ATO system on this tank yet. I've been researching it and I think I'm going to go with the Hydor one with an Avast diaphragm pump. Like the pump because it can run dry without hurting it, you can adjust the flow rate, and there is no risk of creating a syphon. Also the pump doesn't have to fit in the water container.

Good luck with the job hunt!

I looked at the Hydor, but the whole resetting it after every water change is kind of a turn off. I don't really need an ATO right now, but if I can't figure out a different top for the 20 Fusion my evap is going to go way up from what I'm dealing with now.

Just placed an order for H2O Life Mini Mysis and cyclops; I've heard good things about both products and hope the smaller mysis will be easier for Twiggy to eat. Also got DT's phyto for the filter feeders. Reef food is so expensive!

Reading about your pipe fish pushed me over the edge and I ordered a pair of CB banded pipe fish. They are coming along with the seahorses around Oct 2nd. Mine will come trained to eat frozen mysis. I can't wait.

Reading about your pipe fish pushed me over the edge and I ordered a pair of CB banded pipe fish. They are coming along with the seahorses around Oct 2nd. Mine will come trained to eat frozen mysis. I can't wait.

Yeah I saw that on your page. I was planning to get those from Ocean Rider before I went for the blue stripe. Having a pair already trained is so awesome! Can't wait to see pics and video of your little couple. :wub: Will they arrive with the ponies?

Yeah I saw that on your page. I was planning to get those from Ocean Rider before I went for the blue stripe. Having a pair already trained is so awesome! Can't wait to see pics and video of your little couple. :wub: Will they arrive with the ponies?

I'm not sure if they will arrive with the ponies or not as they were 2 separate orders. The ponies came with free shipping since they were in a special package. The pipe fish were just purchased as a pair of pipe fish and were not free shipping so I don't know how that will work. I will just have to wait and see.

Can anyone tell me what the little transparent growths on the top of this sponge might be?

IMG_4829.jpg

Those are the siphon holes....the water intake. They kind of move in the current too. I always find them fun to watch LOL.

Olive is looking cute :).

Those are the siphon holes....the water intake. They kind of move in the current too. I always find them fun to watch LOL.

Olive is looking cute :).

Thanks Gena, I can't believe I never noticed them until now!

Here's a little update:

Everything is chugging along pretty well. All the corals and gorgs have adjusted except one gorg that still hasn't opened all the way. The fish are happy and healthy from what I can see except I do worry about Twiggy. She is very active and does eat some of everything I feed her, just not as much as the mandarins, I guess I'm just not sure how much blue stripes are supposed to eat. Also the other day I noticed she pooped a short string of white stuff which Hippo the TSB promptly ate while it was still attached to her lol. So I Googled and got worried because I read that white poop can mean malnutrition in seahorses or parasites. Anyone have any insights?

I've been feeding pretty heavily and started dosing DT's phyto and am seeing a little cyano (I think) on the sand bed so I syphoned out some sand and did a water change. Also ordered some Prodibio Bioclean ampules. This is the first sign of a nuisance algae type stuff in this tank.

I got two new hermits, a halloween and an electric blue, hopefully they will not cause problems and will eat the cyano. I will be getting the corals from Felicia's seahorse tank next week as she is very busy with school right now. Other than that, I have restrained myself and not ordered any new corals yet.

I did order a Hydor ATO and Avast diaphragm pump because the evaporation is definitely more significant than in the Nuvo 8. Also thinking of getting the Pico Skim 2 because I'm not happy with the noise and performance of the Ghost skimmer. Other investments further down the road will be a Nanobox Duo and a doser (thinking about the GHL 2).

Working on a better FTS and video. Comments and suggestions always appreciated. :)

Here's a little video featuring my mandarin pair, pipefish, and TSB. Please excuse the fuzziness; my camera is crap at focusing through the glass. Oh for a DSLR with manual focus and adjustable white balance!

The mandarins are so cute in the first clip. I love how they look around.

Yeah, I just think their mannerisms are so charming. :happy:

just want to say that your tank is very unique and if i ever get a 3rd tank, i will be using yours for inspiration =). pipefish + mandarins + gorgonians = win.

Love love love that video. What a fun tank!!!!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. :blush: I wish I could get some better quality images, I'm going to work on it.

Barring another shipping mishap (as in the UPS pipefish tragedy and USPS loss of Avast diaphragm pump), this little guy will become the first new fish in the Mandarin Manor when he arrives Wednesday:

http://s732.photobucket.com/user/Betaya/media/Mandarin%20Manor/Screenshot2014-10-06at13606PM.png.html'>Screenshot2014-10-06at13606PM.png

It is a Red Head Coral Goby (Paragobiodon echinocephalus). Also ordered a pom pom crab.

Archived