Coral Vue Hydros

Simone's Mandarin Manor (Fusion 20) - Moving Madness

Simone

What an adorable little fish! It has the shape of a YCG but very cool colors. It should be perfect.

Yes, they are similar to YCGs; like them they live in among the branches of coral colonies. They are ugly/cute and have a hairy texture to them which you can see better here:

Screenshot2014-10-06at52805PM.png

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Polarcollision

Yes, they are similar to YCGs; like them they live in among the branches of coral colonies. They are ugly/cute and have a hairy texture to them which you can see better here:

Screenshot2014-10-06at52805PM.png

Aww! They're almost the tropical equivalent to a lumpsucker. very cute! How big do they get? They look itty bitty next to that coral (poccilopora?)

Aww! They're almost the tropical equivalent to a lumpsucker. very cute! How big do they get? They look itty bitty next to that coral (poccilopora?)

They do kind of look like lumpsuckers, love those guys.

Internet says 1.5 inches. Mine is only 0.75 inches; so small and cute, I can't wait to see her. Found out that all immature ones are female and they can change to male and back again.

I wanted something weird and unique. Also interested in the gum drop coral crouchers.

Polarcollision

They do kind of look like lumpsuckers, love those guys.

Internet says 1.5 inches. Mine is only 0.75 inches; so small and cute, I can't wait to see her. Found out that all immature ones are female and they can change to male and back again.

I wanted something weird and unique. Also interested in the gum drop coral crouchers.

I was: "WT* is a drop coral croucher"

Then I was: oh! Unque and weird. Check.

Definietly go there. I like the unknown

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been neglecting my thread because I've been studying for my licensing exam and I'm happy to report that I am finally a Registered Nurse! omgomgomg :happydance: omgomgomg

I'll do a tank update soon.

So I've been neglecting my thread because I've been studying for my licensing exam and I'm happy to report that I am finally a Registered Nurse! omgomgomg :happydance: omgomgomg

omgomgomg:happydance:omgomgomg yay! Congrats!

Congrats !!!

Hey guys, thanks for the congratulations. I'm so pleased to finally be able to call myself a nurse. Now all I need is a job. :lol:

Anyway, lots of stuff has happened with the tank since my last update so I'll fill you in.

Livestock

I have lots of new gorgs and corals mostly thanks to Felicia who sold me a bunch of stuff from her awesome seahorse tank including several photosynthetic gorgs, some rics, a spiral coral, some sympodium polyps, and a blue encrusting sponge. All the pieces are doing great except the spiral coral which unfortunately got stung by my torch, I am hoping it will pull through as it is really beautiful. I also got a stunning red NPS gorg with white polyps from Diver's Den. I actually think I may have a few too many gorgs now lol, I may sell some locally.

Unfortunately the red head coral goby was immediately bullied by my TSB and disappeared after the first day never to be seen again. It was so small and timid and appeared really traumatized by the blenny, I felt really bad. :(

I got a pom pom crab that is doing well. He comes out at feeding time and seems pretty unafraid of the fish and hermit crabs. He freaked me out when he molted a few days ago; the shell really looks like such a complete little crab that I was sure he was dead until I saw his little pom poms sticking out of his cave.

The other fish continue to thrive and I have finally pretty much stopped worrying about Twiggy the blue-stripe pipefish not getting enough to eat as she eats her mysis with gusto and has not lost any weight since I weaned her off the live BBS.

Equipment

I have made a few adjustments to my filtration set-up. I made some little magnetic egg crate trays following jbb's design and used them to make a little refugium in one of the chambers. I also changed the media in my reactor from GFO to Phosguard (because I want to get a clam again and read that the iron in GFO can feed pinched mantle disease) and also put my carbon back in the reactor.

I bought a Hydor ATO with Avast diaphragm pump which I have mostly set up but I still need to get a reservoir for the water. I have also ordered a PIco Skim 2.0 because I've heard good things about it and I can't stand the noise level of the Ghost Skimmer in my bedroom anymore. (It would be ok for the living room but not the bedroom.)

When I get a job I will be upgrading my light to a new Nanobox and flow to a Maxspect Gyre 35w.

Livestock Plans

So, I'm really excited to say that I may be getting some seahorses!!!! i have been considering getting a green mandarin, a ruby red dragonet, or another pipefish but the siren song of the seahorse keeps calling me. I know that any of the full-size seahorses are too large for the height of the Fusion 20 but I was curious if I might be able to keep the Hawaiian pelagic pygmy seahorses (hippocampus fisheri) that they are breeding at Ocean Rider. Their adult size is only 2 inches. So I wrote to Pete and he said that he things they could work! I would have to get rid of my torch and hammer corals but that seems like a small price to pay to be able to keep seahorses.

Pete advised that I rehome Hippo the TSB for the sake of the ponies. I'm not sure if this would be because of the fact that they are quicker eaters or because of possible aggression but after Hippo bullied the little goby into hiding I am concerned about how he would behave with the seahorses. He gets along with the mandarins and the pipefish but they never showed any fear of him. Anybody have any thoughts?

The other thing is that I would need to reduce the temperature of my tank to 75 degrees. Do you guys think this would be damaging to any of my livestock? I know it might slow down coral growth but I'm ok with that.

As always, I appreciate any comments and advice. :)

Here's a video and a few pics. Apologies for the reflections.

http://s732.photobucket.com/user/Betaya/media/Mandarin%20Manor/IMG_0688.jpg.html'>IMG_0688.jpg

http://s732.photobucket.com/user/Betaya/media/Mandarin%20Manor/IMG_0686.jpg.html'>IMG_0686.jpg

http://s732.photobucket.com/user/Betaya/media/Mandarin%20Manor/IMG_0687.jpg.html'>IMG_0687.jpg

Wow, your tank looks awesome! I'm not sure about your corals but I turned my tank down from 78-80, then down to 75-78 and now it runs 71-74 and not a single coral suffered. The Hawaiian pelagic pygmy seahorses are adorable although I thought the recommended height for them is minimum of 30". However if Pete said it was ok, I am sure it is. Pete gave me a lot of helpful advise when I set up my seahorse tank. You will find the online seahorse training course very informative. I still refer to it regularly. I really love my seahorses, they are the most enchanting creatures! Definitely worth the trouble.

O yeah, clams and seahorses are not compatible. I think seahorses can try to hitch and then the clam can shut on the seahorse to the detriment of both creatures. I guess there is no chance that you can hook 2 tanks together so you can keep Hippo, the torch and hammer and get a clam?

Wow, your tank looks awesome! I'm not sure about your corals but I turned my tank down from 78-80, then down to 75-78 and now it runs 71-74 and not a single coral suffered. The Hawaiian pelagic pygmy seahorses are adorable although I thought the recommended height for them is minimum of 30". However if Pete said it was ok, I am sure it is. Pete gave me a lot of helpful advise when I set up my seahorse tank. You will find the online seahorse training course very informative. I still refer to it regularly. I really love my seahorses, they are the most enchanting creatures! Definitely worth the trouble.

Thanks for the feedback on the temperature, that's good to hear. Yeah I was worried about the tank height too. Here's what Pete said about it:

"The specimens you will be receiving are captive-bred-and-raised Hippocampus fisheri, Betaya, which have been born and raised in captivity for a number of generations now. It has been my experience that each new generation of fisheri is better adapted for aquarium conditions and less dependent on a tall aquarium with a lot of water depth in order to do well. In short, Betaya, there is still room for great deal of experimentation to determine the best set up for the average home hobbyist who is interested in the pelagic pygmy ponies… I can tell you that many times maintaining optimum water quality at all times is more important for preventing problems with GBS than water depth, Betaya, and the fact that you have been successfully maintaining live gorgonians and corals in the 20-gallon nano tank certainly suggests that you have been able to maintain pristine water quality thus far. I would say that, as an experienced marine aquarist, you can consider giving Hippocampus fisheri a try in your 20-gallon setup, Betaya. That's a worthwhile experiment and I would be interested in hearing how well it works out in the long run."

So I don't know, I mean it seems like there is some risk involved which I don't love but I think that since Pete (who is such an amazing advocate for seahorses) feels like it is a reasonable experiment and not an irresponsible thing to do I might try it. Obviously if they didn't do well I would feel really bad. I'm still thinking about it.

O yeah, clams and seahorses are not compatible. I think seahorses can try to hitch and then the clam can shut on the seahorse to the detriment of both creatures. I guess there is no chance that you can hook 2 tanks together so you can keep Hippo, the torch and hammer and get a clam?

Thanks for pointing that out, now that you say that I think I remember reading it somewhere. No, I don't think another tank is a good idea for me right now lol. Maybe someday when I have a sump. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to keep certain livestock I guess. I would feel sad rehoming Hippo. He is my oldest fish. :(

You are thoroughly researching your options so whatever you decide it will be well informed. I will be excited to see what direction your tank goes but I have no doubt it will be beautiful regardless.

Sounds like you've got some cool updates/upgrades in the works. I didn't realize the smaller Maxspect Gyre was even for sale yet. Also really surprised to hear about the aggression from your TSB. Always thought those guys were good community fish :huh:

I bet Pete suggested re-homing the TSB because they eat algae and seahorses are so seditary that they have algae grow on them sometimes. My male seahorse has algae on his neck and back and I have T5 lighting on a 24" high tank. With your lighting and having a shallower tank I'd say that it likely that some algae will grow on the skin of your seahorses. It would probably freak the ponies out if the TSB tried to scrape it off them and could even cause them to get a bacterial infection.

I bet Pete suggested re-homing the TSB because they eat algae and seahorses are so seditary that they have algae grow on them sometimes. My male seahorse has algae on his neck and back and I have T5 lighting on a 24" high tank. With your lighting and having a shallower tank I'd say that it likely that some algae will grow on the skin of your seahorses. It would probably freak the ponies out if the TSB tried to scrape it off them and could even cause them to get a bacterial infection.

Wow I never thought about that! I guess it's possible lol.

So I was wondering if I could get some feedback from you guys about how to price my gold torch for sale through nano-reef to someone local. It has almost completely split into two heads and is 4-5 inches fully expanded. You can see it in the video further up this page.

Also here's a cute picture of my new pom pom:

http://s732.photobucket.com/user/Betaya/media/Mandarin%20Manor/eb8e9d7c-2e17-4564-a116-5928a812cdf1.jpg.html'>eb8e9d7c-2e17-4564-a116-5928a812cdf1.jpg

Hi Simone,

Can you tell me what the gorgoinan in the back left corner ( behind the spiral one) is? The purple one in your signature picture.

My LFS got some of those and the purple ribbon gorgs in stock. I jnow the ribbon is photosynthetic, but they have no idea what the other one is or if it is photosynthetic. It looks exactly like the one in your pic, color and all.

I would love to find out what it is. Your tank is truly inspiring and I am hoping to add a few nice photosynthetic gorgs to my tank. :)

Archived