ReefCleaners.org

birdsnest coral medium lighting

PicoMatt

Hi everyone. I have an ecopico with 3 strips of white/blue led's on the lighting arm. I know I can't keep sps corals with this type of medium lighting, but was wondering if anyone has had success with birdsnest corals and medium light? It seems to be like the most forgiving sps coral there is. In my opinion.

You could probably do digi's and monti caps and encrusting monti's in there.

IMO, birdsnest / seriatoporas and similar are not an easy coral long term. They are one of the worst SPS at adapting to new conditions and can rapidly STN without any obvious cause. They are better in lower light than most acros, but in my experience if you can't get them to accept the conditions they won't thrive.

Even if youre able to keep it alive, it will grow very slowly (if at all) and probably turn brown. I kept a birdnest under slightly better lights then what you have (only because they were full spectrum), still sub par, and while my birdsnest grew at first it was an ugly brown and succumbed to RTN when it got big. But birdsnest frags are fairly inexpensive, if you really want to experiment with $15-20.

I found that, as with all sps, water consistency is equally if not more important.

Archived