Coral Vue Hydros

What sort of anemone?

ChickenoftheC

ChickenoftheC

I need help working out what this is please. I'm guessing an anemone of some sort maybe but what type? It has a nice green fluorescence when in my tank under lights. (3rd picture)

Yep that is my red morph he has decided to crawl up under.overnight.

And that is sand and slime on the morph (not damage) since i had to remove it from the tank to get this picture things got a bit stirred up. As you can see in the second picture the morph seemed ok to sit next him before i disturbed it. The right side of the morph was shrunken and damaged already when i brought it and has been growing back so that is not from it either.

P1050873_zpsafe7fbde.jpg

P1050861_zps6a4985c7.jpg

You can see a bit of the fluorescent green here in this picture. It usually covers his whole body in real life when he isn't stressed from moving.

20140709_115935_zps51ac4da3.jpg

Looks like a majano anemone to me. Some people like to keep them, but I personally would take it out. They reproduce like crazy and sting everything that are close by. Cut the piece of rock out that it is on or use some aptasia killer. I let one grow in my tank a few hears back and I found myself struggling to keep up on removing them. Not as intrusive as an aptasia but almost close.

ChickenoftheC

Looks like a majano anemone to me. Some people like to keep them, but I personally would take it out. They reproduce like crazy and sting everything that are close by. Cut the piece of rock out that it is on or use some aptasia killer. I let one grow in my tank a few hears back and I found myself struggling to keep up on removing them. Not as intrusive as an aptasia but almost close.

Unfortunately cutting this rock is not an option as i have a giant feather duster growing right out of it. Do you think the morph will be killed by it if it doesn't move?

Honestly I can't recall if they move as would a bubbletip. But the tentacles will stretch out and I'm pretty sure its gonna keep irritating the morph or possibly kill it. I had one stuck in between a zoa colony and it kept stinging the nearby polyps. I eventually stabbed it with aptasia x and got rid of it.

ChickenoftheC

ive decided to leave it sitting there. if it kills the morph ill kill it but until then its lucky i think its cute lol

ChickenoftheC

Just thought id throw in another picture of him with his tips blown up. He is still sitting next to the red mushroom and it doesnt seem to be hurting it or bothering it so im not sure whats going on there if they sting everything to death?

anemone_zps98bfb933.jpg

majanos have the weakest of stings. If it decides to sit on your zoas, they'll definitely be upset about that, but they won't get stung

• 1 month later...
ChickenoftheC

I just thought id take a moment to post an updated picture of what this anemone now looks like. Im assuming its thriving and loving life. its growing so many more arms and just looks completely different. Im very glad i didnt end up killing this little guy. Hes just so beautiful and does not seem to be harming anything. (yet)

nem_zpsfe9df3be.jpg

ChickenoftheC

omg! you would not believe in the 3 hours or so since i posted this picture the ntire anemone has split in half!

20140825_145959_zpsf01976e8.jpg

ChickenoftheC

Wow. Thats insane. Kill it lol. I killed all the ones i saw with extreme prejudice.

i just chiseled them off the rock and put them in my side hang on tank until i work out what to do with them. i can not believe how fast it split..

Your majano is pretty :D I sort of scraped at mine with an x-acto knife and it popped right off, so if it starts stinging your zoas, you can try that and relocate the nem should you wish to keep it. I tossed mine so I'm not sure if it will reattach but since it's a nem I'm guessing it will.

Archived