Innovative Marine Aquariums

Newbies annoying questions.....

rockstar

Ok I have decided to bother you all with my questions and search for knowledge. 10 gallon standard glass tank btw.

So first.... I have the coralife 11" mini aqua light with a t5 6 watt 10k and a t5 6 watt actinic bulb. I added a true lumen led strip with 12k and 453nm blue combo that is 3 watts. Will this support soft corals like mushroom and zoas?

Second...do you feed your ricordeas and if so how often? What about your other mushroom corals?

Third...am I hurting my system by using a hob filter? Also it is my only source of flow at 250gph, do you think this is enough? Does the downward flow hurt the tank?

Fourth... Is 7 blue leg hermits too many? Also have 2 nassarius snails, some tiny hitchhiker snails, a brittle star, 2 bristle worms, and a peppermint shrimp for my cuc. As well as an urchin that hitchhiked which I'm going to ask for id help with.

Fifth.... Can live rock be spread out instead of built up?

Ok so before you answer my tanks been up since may 23rd. Only thing that died was a trochus and I think I hurt it's foot. Cuc has been in since week 2 and two occelaris clowns since week 5. Added a green mushroom wk 6, a purple mushroom wk7, and a ricordea this week. I do a gallon water change every week. I use rodi from lfs and premixed saltwater from them as well. my lfs is also a research center for marine life with over 250 tanks that our college students get to study. I'm always asking them stuff lol. I do look this stuff up but I guess I want first hand experience answers. Thank you :)

NorthGaHillbilly

1st- you should be fine

2nd- in my experience they will eat mysis and even pellets

3rd- hob is fine, but I'd deff add some more flow, look into the koralina nanos

4th- should be fine

5th- stack it, or don't, it's all the same

Thank you I guess I just keep doubting my choices and worrying. It's like having kids. I'm constantly looking at the tank and checking on water parameters and whether things like my tunicates, mushrooms, mussels, and scallops are alive and open etc. I thought my fish were dieing one night when I saw them sleeping. Lol I immediately got online to make sure clowns do that.

Should I just make it blow across the top part of the tank? Will the clownfish adjust to this new flow?

Ninja I just really didn't think anyone would want to follow a build on my tank. It's simple and I didn't even stack my live rock :( although I got pretty cool rock and have had all kinds of discoveries from it. I still look up possible IDs on stuff almost everyday.

Spiderguardnano

That's the point and perks of starting a thread is you see your progress through the months and how much the tank has come and how much you learn over the months

Make a build thread ASAP lol

Also is this a short spine urchin? It's grown remarkably. Was smaller than a dime.

Looks like a rock boring urchin.

+1 build thread. New tanks are awesome to follow!

You don't need to stack rock, lots of people use minimalistic rock scapes. Big piles of rock can actually catch debris. Just scape it the way you like.

Reef Hollister

Everything is good except the flow. An urchin at that size is probably OK for now.

When he gets bigger he will eat more and look for whatever is available including coralline and coral. What him close.

Ok new question :) can you remove zoas from whatever they are attached to? Some frags were given to me today but they are attached to a jumble of shells. And of course since one is a hermit shell my blue leg hermits won't leave it alone. It's also really hard to find a place for it because it's like a ball of shells and just won't stay on a rock. Can I just put it in the sandbed?

You certainly can remove the zoas and place them on something else. People have different ways of doing this, but I just use a simple razor blade. That being said, if they're ready attached to something small like an empty blue leg shell, you could always just use aquarium epoxy putty and just stick that to your rock work as if the shell was a plug ;)

Ok sounds good I am just going to attach the whole thing to the rocks.

New question :) do most of you remove asterina stars? One came in on the zoa frag and after a lot of online research I pulled it out but now my kids are a little upset. Should I have just left it? I figured if it was on a zoa it was already a predator and even if it ate algae that it would probably multiply fast.

Archived