inTank Media Baskets

IS this good plan for changing 20gl sandbed?

budshark

Hi All,

i started my tank sept of 2013 with one bag of natures ocean live sand and a couple lbs of live sand from source online where i got my live rock. I mixed them together to get bio life going....long story short all the big ugly chunks in his sand rise to the top making it all ugly.

I want to completely replace it with pure white fine sand.

My plan is to remove all rock and fish to a 10 gallon tank with all current water as holding tank with a powerhead running to keep water movement going.

then completly sift through live sand keeping any critters i can find. once done, throw everything away and completely wash out 20g tank. refill with new sand and 10g new saltwater and then move back all fish and rock with the rest of the old tank water.

does this sound like a good idea? any issues with this plan? advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks

hockeyhead019

Only issue I can see is 10 gal new SW, what's you're normal WC amount? Might throw you bb for a loop with that much fresh water. Other than that sounds fine to me. Make sure you wash the sand a couple times, it'll help get the dusty particles out and help it settle quicker when you put things in the tank

Archived