Pod Your Reef

Is clownfish killing my ricordea

dudedudedude

dudedudedude

I have rock in a jbj 12 with four large yumas that have been fine for about a year. A month ago I noticed in the morning that my clown was using them as a host. This only occurs at night. Now my ricordea are shrinking and have wide open. Can this behavior of the clownfish stress my ricordea to this point.

Any input would be much appreciated

Clown fish do irritate corals sometimes to the point of killing them. I had a clown that if I removed the coral he was bothering he would go to another.

I've never experienced it, but clownfish can irratate corals sometimes to death as stated above, but sometimes the coral goes "Whatever. Rub against me. Love me. I don't really care anymore." or so I've read.

I had a pair of occelaris clown kill two large fuzzy shrooms in my old 55g. They just completely smothered them. They ended up hosting my gsp after that.

bdevillier19

my female clown attacked and killed a sweet looking maxi mini nem i put in the tank. it was on the opposite end of the tank from her BTA but she would hunt it down and shred it no matter where i put it. clowns are dumb fish.

Nano sapiens

Depends on the Clowns and also how many Rics are in the tank. I have two adult Ocellaris and they spread their 'affection' out among 20 or so, so no one Ric (or small group) is getting all the attention.

I had a clownfish that hosted one of my shroom to the point where it became irritated and died. I eventually gave him away.

Archived