Pod Your Reef

LED build for a 65g

wheels2040

I currently have a EVO 150 over my 65g reef tank. It's the older model with the white and royal blue LEDS. I am looking at upgrading to a full spectrum unit with a controller. DIY wasn't really an option until I saw the MakersLED stuff on LEDGroupBuy. I love the looks and the modularity.

I started working on a build using a mix of different color Cree LEDs. Then I came across jedimaster's build using the Cree Lumia 5.2's. This seems like the better way to go. Here is the build:

(1) MakersDRIVER 5UP Pro

(2) Meanwell ldd-1000h

(3) Meanwell ldd-700h

(1) MakersLED Heatsink Kit 24"

(1) MakersCONTROLLER

(1) 180w 48v DC Power Supply

(2) Cree Lumia 5.2

(2) Lumia 5.1 lens 50-80

My tank dimensions are 36"x18"x24" LWH. Will this be sufficient for this size tank? Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

John

to me I do not think they are worth doing it. especially full spectrum lED fixutres are so cheap these days.

DIY looks ugly and wiring every where.

expensive

has no resale value

DIY was great 3-4 years ago but these days you better off just go buy the pre-made fixtures out there, they are very affordable these days.

Ifarmer your post is rather crass since this subforum is paid for by a company that sells only contents for diy led builds.

PortRoyalPirate

Ifarmer your post is rather crass since this subforum is paid for by a company that sells only contents for diy led builds.

So what?

It is their choice to advertise on a public forum.

Ifarmer's post shows integrity, he is absolutely correct.

1. Normally I would agree with the appearance of DIY LED setups, but the MakersLED components look pretty nice

2. I'm not too concerned with resale value. I would rather have flexibility/upgradability, which is what I don't have with my current LED fixture.

So what?

It is their choice to advertise on a public forum.

Ifarmer's post shows integrity, he is absolutely correct.

So you acknowledge the post is crass and then say it shows integrity because his oppinion is correct? :huh:

Archived