Top Shelf Aquatics

Can SPS grow over tissue necrosis?

ps2cho

So now that I have stopped the STN that happened on a bunch of SPS from the bottom up.

Will the SPS ever grow other the dead area? I don't want to frag it completely because there are sections below it with growth on the plug.

If they won't ever grow over it...would it grow over it if I covered it in a thin layer of super glue? I mean we glue the bases to the plugs and they eventually grow over the glue and cover the plugs...

Amphiprion1

If there is enough light/water motion in that area and there isn't algae that is encroaching too aggressively, then yes, they can certainly grow back. In fact, as long as conditions are good and the coral regains health, it can and will even overgrow algae on exposed surfaces.

^ what they said lol

As long as there is living tissue it will eventually grow over the STN portion almost like it never happened. Sometimes these areas will have a different look and not be as smooth (dip or a bump from the new growth) or throw a branch where there might not have been before but it will cover over if there is life to grow and conditions are good.

Archived