Cultivated Reef

Filters, filters, filters! Questions on how to upgrade Nuvo16 gallon.

Genie382

Hi all!

I've just purchased the Nuvo 16 gallon starter kit from BRS. As I'm waiting for it's arrival, I was reading up on some possible upgrades for it's filtration system. From my understanding it comes w/ 2 stock media caddys that fit their 3 sponge filtration system. I've already purchased the upgraded aqua gadget media baskets and have been eyeballing the aqua euro nano protein skimmer II. However, I'm getting a bit confused as to what would be considered an adquate filtration system/media for the system. This is my first salt water tank ever. So here are my questions...

1) What chemical filtration would you recommend?
Carbon? Purigen? GFO? etc?

2) Would just adding the chemical filtration to be media baskets be adequate or would you recommend a media reactor?

3) How about adding additional biologic filtration to the media basket (live rock)?

- I'm adding about 15 pounds of dry rock and trying to cycle w/ adding biospira, live sand and Dr. Tim's aquatic ammonium chloride

4) Does a system like this need a protein skimmer?

5) Refugium- would like to start this, but any recommendations on lighting? Would adding such a small amount of (would have to utilize one of the areas in the media baskets) be adequate?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I want to get this little tank started off right. Thanks all!

Steensj2004

Filter Media-

Chemipure, Purigen, and even GFO. Any combo of these based on your system's needs. GFO should be used and you can use Purigen and GFO as needed.

Media Racks-

Get some Intank Media Baskets, these are a must

Reactors-

The IM Minimax is a great reactor, lots of options and it will help you utilize media best. Definitely not a must have.

Skimmers-

Skimmers are great, most nano skimmer that will fit in the Nuvo will be, well, Meeh. I have the New Ghost skimmer and it is the best nano skimmer I've used yet. There are some Hang on the Back Skimmers( AquaEuro and Reef Octopus offer HOB skimmers) are options as well. They run the risk of getting water on the floor if the overflow, and are gonna be kinda loud form the reviews. However, they are good skimmers.

Refugiums- These are great, in a tank this small, mine ended up being a total nutrient trap. The only benefit I saw was some pods were in the cheato. IMHO, refugiums in tanks this small are useless, and give little advantage in relation to nutrient control.

Obviously, a lot of this is my opinion, but you should look around the forum and see what people are using! Good Luck!

Thanks for the info guys!

I purchased the Aqua Gadget media caddy upgrades w/ the tank. So, from what I gather, I should start w/

FIlter floss for mechanical filtration

Chem elite for phos binding

+/- Purigen as needed

I agree, I think I can hold off on the skimmer for now. I think I may upgrade to that once I figure out how much extra I have in my budget once the essentials are purchased. I'm likley to pick up the media reactor and throw in a mix of GFO and carbon then.

For my tank I'm really looking for a few fish, some easier corals (softies/mushrooms) and a bunch of inverts. Based on that, does the above plan for the filter system seem reasonable? Thanks again everybody :)

your plan is solid. once you have your tank established, i would get the skimmer sooner than later. when i started my 15g tank i also held off on the skimmer. but without a skimmer you end up spending a lot more on chemi-pure and purigen. skimmer removes organic waste before it breaks down to phosphates and nitrates. so your chemical filtration media will last atleast three times as long. for a nano tank you don't need a $200 skimmer - a simple airstone skimmer will do just fine. my favorite for a nano is this one: Reef Octopus NS-80. At $44 its the best you can get at the price range, and i believe it fits in most nano compartments.

just my 2 cents!

patrickbruno91

In my 20 gallon long, I just recently tried the new chemipure blue,purigen, filter floss.

I only have Z/P, Acans, Hammers.

In my opinion from what I noticed, it made the water levels too clean too fast and I noticed some of the z/p not like that it was so clean rapidlly. so I overfed the fish and corals for a couple of days to dirty it up a little more and also took purigen out for a week and a half.

and the corals started to show better health again.

Refugiums- These are great, in a tank this small, mine ended up being a total nutrient trap. The only benefit I saw was some pods were in the cheato. IMHO, refugiums in tanks this small are useless, and give little advantage in relation to nutrient control.

What about a refugium this small, primarily for nutrient export with chaeto, isn't effective? Did you have problems getting it to grow? I have some submersible LED lights that I was going to use, and I thought about growing chaeto in the refugium chamber. Do you need a bigger "ball" of it to absorb enough nitrate/phosphate? That's the only downside that I could see as far as nutrient export. Please explain! :)

Hmm, I'll look into the NS-80 skimmer. From some threads I read, a protein skimmer isn't essential BUT it does help. I was hoping to just keep this little guy a more or less plug and play reef, but I have a feeling I'm just not going to be able to help myself (especially as I have an empty tank cycling)...

Steensj2004

I don't recall the source I read on here previously( I will try and locate it) but it said that for a refugiums to really be efficient at removing nutrients, they need to be pretty large. Obviously, some advantages of any refugiums are:

- a predator free zone for things like pods and small inverts.

- Increases O2/c02 exchange as the light stays on at an opposite cycle from the main display. This allows photosynthesis to continue at night and keeps PH up.

Several sources I've seen implied that for refugiums to be really effective, they need to be very large( IE a 40 gallon sump and a 40 gallon remote fuge on a 100 gallon). Some sources say the refugiums needs to be 20% ish the size of the display and some say as big or bigger.

Nutrient export is one of the smallest advantages to a fuge in comparison to the others:

-O2/ C02 exchange

- Predator free zone for pods and small macro

I ran the InTank fuge basket and cheato in my tank. I had to trim it weekly as it would pack the chamber/ basket. I saw nearly zero difference in nutrients. Pods grew well, and my ph stayed up a little but not much. The little JBj Nanoglo wasn't a powerful light, unlike many of the ones people use over their sump fuges. I donno, opinions differe...lol

Archived