Top Shelf Aquatics

Ecotech XR15w Pro vs XR30w Pro light spread

Sully375

So I have seen a couple posts on these lights and people asking about the different capabilities and assuming what the capabilities are so I did a little research offered what I found then got in contact with Ecotech for this official answer.

They recommend an 8" mounting height from the top of the water for XR15w Pro.

XR15w Pro - mount 8" above water with wide lens for 24" light spread.

- mount 8" above water with normal lens for 16" light spread.

XR30w Pro - mount 8" above water with wide lens for 36" light spread.

- mount 8" above water with normal lens for 30" light spread.

So from their email I will then assume that the RMS will put each light around 8-9 inches from the top of the water. I believe this was also in a BRS video from MACNA.

Basically I should have just ordered the one XR30w Pro for the IM 30L I have on order instead of 2 XR15w's, oh well.

hope this helps someone trying to decide between the two like I was.

Paleoreef103

So I have seen a couple posts on these lights and people asking about the different capabilities and assuming what the capabilities are so I did a little research offered what I found then got in contact with Ecotech for this official answer.

They recommend an 8" mounting height from the top of the water for XR15w Pro.

XR15w Pro - mount 8" above water with wide lens for 24" light spread.

- mount 8" above water with normal lens for 16" light spread.

XR30w Pro - mount 8" above water with wide lens for 36" light spread.

- mount 8" above water with normal lens for 30" light spread.

So from their email I will then assume that the RMS will put each light around 8-9 inches from the top of the water. I believe this was also in a BRS video from MACNA.

Basically I should have just ordered the one XR30w Pro for the IM 30L I have on order instead of 2 XR15w's, oh well.

hope this helps someone trying to decide between the two like I was.

Honestly, I'd have definitely preferred the dual XR15Ws for a 36X15X13 inch tank. Less spill, less shadow, more even light distribution. Think about it this way. A XR30 is just two XR15s put together. If you wanted to evenly light a long rectangle, would you put the 2 LED pucks next to each other or would you spread them out?

Honestly, I'd have definitely preferred the dual XR15Ws for a 36X15X13 inch tank. Less spill, less shadow, more even light distribution. Think about it this way. A XR30 is just two XR15s put together. If you wanted to evenly light a long rectangle, would you put the 2 LED pucks next to each other or would you spread them out?

Yeah, honestly really not disappointed. I think I will be happier with the 2 lights instead of one that way I know I'm getting a better spread.

Archived