Cultivated Reef

Need help setting up my first saltwater tank (biocube 29)

nanofish1

Hello I am a beginner in salt water aquarium. I recently bought a coralife biocube 29, and I am trying to get started in the hobby. I want to know the steps to getting good water parameters. I am going to use the RODI water from spectrapure system, but would adding the appropriate amount of salt (instand ocean reef salt) bring up the PH level to around 8.2? I heard that this is true, but just wanted to confirm :)

What if it only brings it up to 7.8ish? what do I need to add to bring it up to 8.2? I used to have freshwater aquarium, but everytime I tried to use PH up or any chemicals to bring the PH up, fish would die. so Im afraid using things chemical additives might have a huge PH swing causing fish death. (

Check out the biocube resource guide.Great info all around and will answer a lot of your questions you may have. I cant link it from my phone.

Check out the biocube resource guide.Great info all around and will answer a lot of your questions you may have. I cant link it from my phone.

Stay away from unnecessary chemicals for fixes. IME they cause more issues than solve. Start with good water and good salt. For a tank as small as a 29, water changes go a long way in correcting unbalanced parameters.

Kingston is right- pH isn't something to stress over. But don't worry, once you get started you'll find plenty of other things to stress about in the reef world! :happy:

Thank you for the replies. brinyreefer, I have not cycled my tank yet. In fact, I just ordered it few days ago, I am in the process of trying to research everything. There is so much to learn though! :haha:

Thank you for the replies. brinyreefer, I have not cycled my tank yet. In fact, I just ordered it few days ago, I am in the process of trying to research everything. There is so much to learn though! :haha:

im in excatly the same place .. tank ordered (in my case a JBJ 28gal) and i'm just doing a ton of research before i do anything .. although i do have a brother thats also starting a tank about 1000 miles away and we talk on the phone all the time so i'm hopeing his 5 month head start will tip me off to any major mistakes :)

get a good test kit and test weekly for calcium and alkalinity and dose as necessary. maintaining calcium and alkalinity and optimum level will make a huge difference in the quality of your corals. also test for phosphate weekly and don't let it go too high. i use API reef kit, and salifert phosphate kit. they were the best options at a good price.

Archived