Cultivated Reef

Are Blennies Reef Safe

Bingo1213

Ok before you just skip past this because live aquaria says they are reef safe, hear me out. I have been looking around other forums and have heard many account of blennies nipping at corals. I even read somewhere where one person said that they are as much of a gamble as a dwarf angle. I would like to hear some of your experiences with them. Also are some blennies more reef safe than others?

Thanks!!

If blennies are just as risky as dwarf angles, I would much rather get the angle due to the beautiful colors haha

Mr. Microscope

I've also heard that they can nip at a coral, but I've never witnessed it. From what I gather, the occurance is much much rarer than that from dwarf angels. Personally, I had tailspot that never touched anything.

There's a lot of people on here with blennies as they tend to be a fish with awesome personallity. So, I imagine you'll hear a lot of stories.

icedearth15324

From what I've read, blennies can nip at stuff if they are hungry. I have a lawnmower blenny who is so fat he has a hard time staying afloat, so I know he never touches the corals or clams. I've heard starry blennies can eat stuff. But it really all depends on the individual fish. I've even seen people with tangs that ate coral, so you never know.

Depends on your definition of reef safe. Blennies are most noteably an issue with clams and Some LPS. They have a tendency to peck at the edge where algae likes to grow, or on the base of an LPS. They just miss the target and take a little bit of the flesh. There are some that are far more "indiscriminate" than others much like angels. However, most Angels do it on purpose and there are far more that will be an issue.

Bicolor blenny comes to mind as a "caution" but mine is not an issue.

tailspot not so much.

Each fish is different as stated above.

Good to know! So far it sounds like it is a gamble worth taking i'll have to wait and see if anyone else has anything to say that'll scare me away!!

Ok before you just skip past this because live aquaria says they are reef safe, hear me out. I have been looking around other forums and have heard many account of blennies nipping at corals. I even read somewhere where one person said that they are as much of a gamble as a dwarf angle. I would like to hear some of your experiences with them. Also are some blennies more reef safe than others?

Thanks!!

Not all blenny's are the same if you are looking for one for no risk, there are plenty.

Combtooth blenny's come with some risk due to the fact that they can pick at algae/mucus and end up bothering clams and corals. Some are worse than others.

The exception is the midas blenny which is a planktivore, however, it can be aggressive to other fish in small tanks. Mine is an ass.

Fang blenny's also will not bother corals and are peaceful, their fangs are used as a defense if something were to grab it in its mouth. Mine is peaceful. These guys swim in the open water often instead of perching like a combtooth.

Geowge, the Midas Blenny, did not nip at corals but then it was always running scared for his life from Mama Ruby the clownfish.

Sharkie, the Tailspot, likes to peck at algae, sometimes he misses his mark and nips the clam mantle. He has been appropriately reprimanded and may very well get the beating stick next time.

I have had very little success with combtooth blennies and corals. The only one I had luck with was an orange spot blenny. I have had bicolor blennies, a blue and gold blenny and a tank bred red sea mimic blenny. All of the ate, not picked, ate my LPS and SPS. My pocci and favias were hit the hardest. I feed a lot too, all my fish are fat and happy.

The orange spot left things alone but I had to rehome his for bullying my jawfish.

I also had a midas blenny and red saddle blenny that never touched coral but both had aggressive streaks.

My only concern with the midas blenny is if he will get alone with my purple fire fish. I love their color but am concerned he will be a jerk!!

My only concern with the midas blenny is if he will get alone with my purple fire fish. I love their color but am concerned he will be a jerk!!

Firefish is a definite risk with a midas. There are plenty of yellow fang blenny's if thats what you like.

are not all fang blennies going to have a bad reaction to the fire fish?

Generally with fangs, anything that does not bother the blenny and the blenny will not bother it. I am talking about the Meiacanthus species.

I had a striped fang blenny(Meiacanthus grammistes) and he seemed to pick on my tuxedo urchin. Is this an isolated incident? or is that a common trait. Sorry I do not know much about blennies as that is the only one i have ever kept!

I really like the blue and yellow fork tail blennies!! Those look great!

I had a striped fang blenny(Meiacanthus grammistes) and he seemed to pick on my tuxedo urchin. Is this an isolated incident? or is that a common trait. Sorry I do not know much about blennies as that is the only one i have ever kept!

Sounds like a random rogue incident. Never heard of that happening :huh: I have mine with a tuxedo. He ignores everyone and everything and he is with some small 2cm fish. The midas got evicted to the mantis tank because I couldn't take his constant attacking of other fish and I replaced him with a fang.

I can say the midas is no longer aggressive, the presence of larger fish and a dangerous predator keep him from being ballsy and mean.

Ya i figured it was an isolated problem as I researched it at the time and could not find anything about it. The stripped blenny would nip at the tuxedo urchins tentacles that he used to move to the point he just kept them retracted in rather than out. It was strange needless to say he too got evicted and moved to a FOWLR tank my buddy has!

Polarcollision

My tailspot blenny roams the tank snacking here and there. It sometimes looks like it is nipping corals, but it's after the little bugs and bits of algae.

Never had a problem with my tailspot blenny. I think bicolors are a bigger risk though. I have a mixed reef and the blenny has been coexisting with a crocea for almost two years now.

Archived