Pod Your Reef

Are these corals fighting?

RC1313

Hey everyone..I just got this digi and cap as my first sps. The cap doesn't have as good polyp extension as it did yesterday. And I noticed this "string" in between the two corals. It looks a lot like a vermetid but I can't find the spiral. The string looks like it's ending on both corals...I've never had corals fight before so no idea what it looks like. Thanks for the help. Oh also, params look good, the picture of the cap is it's underside, and I've only had these for three days.

22A66677-ED9C-4CE0-AEFB-AAA955D6DF82_zps

I do not think that this is coral warfare for two reasons. One when corals chemically attack another coral it is very oblivious what is happening. It almost looks like a white spider web clearly coming from one and covering the other. and second of all the Digitata does not have any die off. If it was warfare there would be bleached portions of the coral. The closed polyps are just because it is getting used to its new environment. And Dr brain coral is correct MOST SPS do not have sweepers. Some do but montipora digitata does not. out of curiosity what is the coral next to it?

I do not think that this is coral warfare for two reasons. One when corals chemically attack another coral it is very oblivious what is happening. It almost looks like a white spider web clearly coming from one and covering the other. and second of all the Digitata does not have any die off. If it was warfare there would be bleached portions of the coral. The closed polyps are just because it is getting used to its new environment. And Dr brain coral is correct MOST SPS do not have sweepers. Some do but montipora digitata does not. out of curiosity what is the coral next to it?

Okay thanks. There is a snail right next to it and the coral i was worried about was the monitora capricornis to the right.

Ok gotcha well I would say you are all good to go! Montiporas in general will not usually attack other corals unless they grow together. The do not have sweepers and they do not use chemical warfare. :)

Dr.Brain Coral

I thought alot of sps and some lps when they arre close enough to another coral the spit there guts out and digest the other coral

I thought alot of sps and some lps when they arre close enough to another coral the spit there guts out and digest the other coral

Yes this is true I've seen it happen in my tank, a lobo decided to attack a favia, but it is very rare to see monitpora's do that as they are very peaceful corals!

Amphiprion1

Montipora don't typically compete using mesenterial filaments, etc. Sheer overgrowth is their most common means of competition. That being said, it could potentially be a bit of slime from either coral or a different coral causing the issue.

My first reaction is the same as yours--it looks like it is originating from a vermetid.

Thank you guys for the help. It looks (after a couple days) like I'm bleaching the cap and need to move it down for a while. The filament thingy is gone so maybe it was from a stray vermited I haven't hunted down with superglue yet!

Archived