Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I got yelled at by a Petco employee

NAL

It is also because there is a lot of organized crime groups that take pictures for items to be stolen and sold on the black market. I am sure with pet stores it is more about animal rights activists tho.

Steensj2004

Do they have a big sign that says do not steal or take a big dump on the floor? If not how are we to know you can't take a big dump on the floor?

This is a logical fallacy( strawman), distorting the facts doesn't change them. Common sense as well as the law dictates you cannot for either of the above mentioned. Barcode scanners on smartphones are common place to compare prices. It is impossible to force a ,"policy" that isn't posted. Example, if I have a concealed carry license and walk into a store, they cannot call the police and have me arrested if they don't have a posted sign prohibiting concealed weapons( obviously there are exceptions to this rule, ie bars).Otherwise I am operating within my legal right as an American.

How would they tell the difference of you taking a photo and texting. A lot of places that price match will use a photos, so its weird that some places dont allow photos due to compitition.

Do they have a big sign that says do not steal or take a big dump on the floor? If not how are we to know you can't take a big dump on the floor?

Stretch. Taking a photo and popping a squat really aren't in the same league here.

I've taken pictures in a petco without a second thought, why would anybody? They had a giant sand tortoise with a balloon as a tracking device on it and It was the funniest thing I'd seen all day. Of course Im gonna snap a pic.

BUT it does make sense with all these animal rights issues flying around these big chain stores, and petco has been in the spotlight a few times for husbandry (or lack there of) issues. I think at one they were throwing still alive lizards (dragons, iquanas, whatever) in dumpsters behind the store. Anyway thats all I got. Signs should be posted because it is a store specific policy. Stevie, no pooping in stores, or at least bring your own baggies.

I'm going to go there and take a dump in middle of the isle and then steal a fish. :) What bothered me the most was her rude demeanor. She had an attitude that I was a delinquent, doing this just to break the rules.

A lot of stores have this sort of policy in place. It's there to stop comp shoppers from doing their thing (these are employees from one company who travel around and gather pricing info about the competition). I've had it happen to me at Home Depot before.

I worked at a few major retailers back in the day. Every now and then management would say 'hey, some guy from XZY corp is here, checking out our prices....we need someone to keep an eye on him.' I always thought that was completely insane, as 99% of prices were posted online anyhow. And this was prior to the whole 'all-cellphones-are-also-cameras' technoboom. A no-flash rule makes sense, but any retail company that's open to the public, yet still has a generic 'no pictures' policy, must be run by paranoid old men.

Unless you're a fish-papparazzi, of course.

I will slap a camera out of your hand LOL :mellow:

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but that's technically assault. Don't get into legal trouble over something stupid.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but that's technically assault. Don't get into legal trouble over something stupid.

No he's probably serious cause it's what makes him money. Similar to how Petco doesn't want bad publicity about the already bad way they are run and treat their stores. No pictures at a store, ESPECIALLY a major retail store all over the country is done for no other reason than harming their own profits. Doesn't matter if you take a picture of an obviously negative or harmful aspect of their business. I am no crazy conspiracy theorist, but isn't it a bit odd that even some of the people here agree that it's OK for Petco to assume a customer is maliciously taking a photo and thus ban an innocent practice almost every person in the world has access to right from their pocket?

No he's probably serious cause it's what makes him money. Similar to how Petco doesn't want bad publicity about the already bad way they are run and treat their stores. No pictures at a store, ESPECIALLY a major retail store all over the country is done for no other reason than harming their own profits. Doesn't matter if you take a picture of an obviously negative or harmful aspect of their business. I am no crazy conspiracy theorist, but isn't it a bit odd that even some of the people here agree that it's OK for Petco to assume a customer is maliciously taking a photo and thus ban an innocent practice almost every person in the world has access to right from their pocket?

Got2envy isn't a he. :mellow: Any most likely joking.

Pesonally I don't think it's odd that people are agreeing that it's ok for Petco to set policies in play for what people can and can't do on their property. A company protecting their interests is a perfectly normal practice be it a commercial, industrial, or even service based company.

It would be a little awkward for employees to enforce the policy when it's not posted. I'm not sure how I'd feel if an employee insisted that they watch me delete the photo that I just took. I'm sure that it would depend on their attitude.

well the employee can watch me e-mail the photo to myself "oops i'm sorry ,must of hit the wrong button i meant the delete that .. oh well "

well the employee can watch me e-mail the photo to myself "oops i'm sorry ,must of hit the wrong button i meant the delete that .. oh well "

That is why I have my phone setup to automatically upload photos I take to a secured site. They can watch me delete a photo (not likely I would give in to a request like that), but it wouldn't do any good since it would have already been duplicated to at least two online locations by then.

"Speak of the Devil"

Was up at Petco today picking up a lid for my new 40 Breeder and there was some HUGE dog adoption thing going on there. Mind you the line of people out front was over 50 people easily, all with their dogs. Thankfully since I was only there for my Aquarium lid I was able to skip ahead of them, or so I thought.......

As I'm passing by to go in for AQUARIUM related stuff and NOT dog related stuff why can't I go in and get what I need? Well a husband and wife who owned some little yap yap dog got all pissy and followed me in barking at me trying to give me orders, THEN a Petco employee started to do the same thing. At that point I turned around and let them know that I was not waiting for the dog thing and only there to pick up a aquarium lid, meanwhile the dog owners kept running their mouth. But before I could finish explaining the employee told me to shut up.......Didn't say it to the dog people who were basically yelling over everyone.

At that point I told "FattyMcButterPants" lady who worked there to F off and don't ever open her mouth and think she can be rude towards a customer, told dog owners to shut the F up before I drown their dog in the turtle tank, continued walking to get my lid for the tank.

As I got to the front dog owners were yelling now and demanding the cops be called because I "Verbally assaulted" them and their DOG HAHAHA. The FattyMcButterPants employee said I was making threats the whole time. Between laughing and almost pissing my pants from it I looked up and saw security cameras, asked the manager to replay the taps from the footage from 3 min ago and would see I was being harassed and told to shut up all because I wanted to make a purchase. AFTER I mentioned the cameras the couple got quiet and shut up, the employee was asked to wait in the office and the manager rung me up for my lid and gave me employee discount. So all in all just to get a lid was a pain in the butt.

Best part is as I was leaving the annoying couple that I "Verbally assaulted" was front of the line and I turned very fast and let out several barks just to piss them off and their yap yap dog too. Moral of the story was, I won! Petco FattyMcButterPants and stupid couple -10 points, me Flawless Victory!

Archived