inTank Media Baskets

I got yelled at by a Petco employee

NAL

I stopped in to the local petco, just to kill some time, don't have much options for LFS in my area. I saw a 3" slender blue, almost transparent, fish that was about 3" and wasn't sure what it was, I now think it was a small Blue Gudgeon Dartfish. So I went to take a picture to research it later and I hear from about 30' away, "NO PICTURES!!!" Then the lady came and stood right next to me, awkwardly silent for 20 sec or so, really uncomfortable. She then started talking and was nice after that. I never knew you couldn't take pictures.

hockeyhead019

Maybe she thought the flash would freak the fish out? Not sure lol, seems silly I've never heard that before

Employees can't just make up policies. They have to abide by and enforce, when possible, the policies of the store. I wouldn't have let her off so easily.

MyJasmineRose

I've been told that as well, and told I had to delete it. I just left. That was in NY so maybe it's an actual policy?

A lot of stores have "no pictures" type policies to try and stop competitive price comparison, where a competitor will come in and record prices and adjust their prices. But like NAL said, if an employee says no pictures, as where that is posted and/or demand to talk to the manager.

That's kind of bull. With cellphones and all that, they should have a sign somewhere or at least give you a valid reason. I know at zoo's and aquariums, they usually say 'no flash photography' which makes sense, because it can frighten various animals etc; but you can still take pictures.

I have taken pictures at different LFS and no one ever complained.

Just don't go there anymore. I personally don't step foot in those Petco's, PetSmart and the like.

Which petco?

Private property, they can make the rules.

edit: after a little research looks like a company wide rule. Too many PETA wackjobs ruined it.

I don't think anyone was saying they couldn't have the rule. Just that if they do, it needs to be posted before they start yelling at someone for violating a policy they had no way of knowing existed.

Which petco?

edit: after a little research looks like a company wide rule. Too many PETA wackjobs ruined it.

Eau Claire

Like I said, if it is a corporate policy, it needs to be prominently posted. And regardless, yelling at a customer across a store is not a good way to conduct business.

I think she realized she was out of line after she did it. She was being overly nice after the situation. Asking about my aquarium and what I'm looking for. I kept it short, but not rude.

I don't care what the reason is, if I had some employee yell at me from across the store I'd make sure they got a good piece of my mind. I did that at a Home Depot before when an employee barked at me, if something is on accident or you don't know a dumb f*ck policy don't think you are going to raise your voice or bark at me and not get it back in return 10x's worse!

Which petco?

In my house People Eating Tasty Animals is a time honored tradition. ;)

The petcos around here don't mind me snapping photos of fishies and corals to show my dad when i go out shopping without him. Then again the petcos around here (Except the one in Hickory that place is a total crapshoot) have employees that genuinely care about their animals. One of the managers at the newest one they built near my house was genuinely upset when he discovered that one of their flame angels had died. He also disposed of the body and logged the loss right then and there instead of letting the fish float around like I see in some other pet stores . ¬.¬

A lot of stores have this sort of policy in place. It's there to stop comp shoppers from doing their thing (these are employees from one company who travel around and gather pricing info about the competition). I've had it happen to me at Home Depot before.

It might serve a couple of purposes. One might be to prevent comparison pricing, but my guess is that it's there to prevent negative posts on the Internet that might hurt the reputation of the rest of the chain (let's face it, some are better than others).

It would be a little awkward for employees to enforce the policy when it's not posted. I'm not sure how I'd feel if an employee insisted that they watch me delete the photo that I just took. I'm sure that it would depend on their attitude.

Maybe they should make a big sign at the front door no pictures. If they don't post it how the heck are we suppose to know that we can't do it.

I am always taking pictures of stuff when I am out looking for things. Not only for comparison shopping but a lot of times I know someone that is looking for something and it is a way for them to see it without going driving there.

Do they have a big sign that says do not steal or take a big dump on the floor? If not how are we to know you can't take a big dump on the floor?

pismo_reefer
Do they have a big sign that says do not steal or take a big dump on the floor? If not how are we to know you can't take a big dump on the floor?

I love it.

Taking pictures and using smartphone apps are pretty common shopping practices. I don't know how they would expect customers to know that it isn't allowed, unless confronted by an employee (which usually doesn't make for a good shopping experience).

I suppose that you could try it and see how it works out for you. However, I believe that both are against the law, so...

Well, the one by my house does have a sign that says shoplifters will be prosecuted. ;)

I work Loss Prevention for a high end retailer. It is more about the pictures ending up as bad publicity/Public Relations and also because of the fixtures in the building themselves that they do not want copied by other companies. I will slap a camera out of your hand LOL :mellow:

Archived